PDA

View Full Version : Richag AV (Khibiny) jamming system SU-24

sandy11
24th Jul 2015, 16:44
Hi everyone, my first post so please go gentle on me!
Regarding the Russian electronic countermeasures system Khibiny which was fitted to an SU-24 & supposedly knocked out the American Aegis radar on the USS Donald Cook. Would this have the same disabling affect on the Royal Navy Type 45 Samson radar system? Also which Russian aircraft are know to be fitted with the Richag AV (Khibiny) jammer?
Hope i am not totally out of my depth here but have just been wondering.
Many thanks as i have been reading the very informative & sometimes funny!
military threads on here for a while.

Sandy

O-P
24th Jul 2015, 17:37
Sandy,

I would imagine that the effects are classified.

AreOut
25th Jul 2015, 14:47
it didn't knock anything

although it probably is a very sophisticated jamming system

Hempy
25th Jul 2015, 18:12
The Russian report on its success is pretty suspect. They claim that they knocked the USS Donald Cook completely off-line (..and how do they know this? And if they did why would they admit it?..), and that 39 sailors resigned immediately at the end of the cruise because they knew that they were "sitting ducks" :rolleyes:

The US Navy denies anything other than tracking a Russian aircraft.

And 'resignation'??

Luxury!!

wondering
7th Feb 2021, 09:56
Any update what really happened? Are the Russians that good? Any truth that 27 sailors requested to be relieved from active duty? Any references? Seems quite except for the usual Russian bots.

Stuff
7th Feb 2021, 19:05
<sarcasm> Totally happened, 100% gen dit </sarcasm>

https://medium.com/dfrlab/russias-fake-electronic-bomb-4ce9dbbc57f8

Easy Street
7th Feb 2021, 19:35
Did you know that a Typhoon doing Baltic air policing recently tried out a special radar mode which, intelligence indicates, knocked out the entire air defence system of the Kaliningrad oblast for over 2 hours? Obviously the Russians will strenuously deny anything if asked about it, but it really did happen. Says me, an anonymous person on the internet... :ugh:

Lonewolf_50
7th Feb 2021, 21:34
Hi everyone, my first post so please go gentle on me!
Regarding the Russian electronic countermeasures system Khibiny which was fitted to an SU-24 & supposedly knocked out the American Aegis radar on the USS Donald Cook. Would this have the same disabling affect on the Royal Navy Type 45 Samson radar system? Also which Russian aircraft are know to be fitted with the Richag AV (Khibiny) jammer?
Hope i am not totally out of my depth here but have just been wondering.
Many thanks as i have been reading the very informative & sometimes funny!
military threads on here for a while.

Sandy What is more likely to have happened is that 27 sailors who were off duty discovered that there was (for some reason, perhaps having to do with the above mentioned kit being used) interference with their ability to log on to the net and post something silly on Farcebuk, following which they all filed grievances against the chain of command. :p

(Back when I got to visit the Black Sea on a warship, we got a lot of visits from Soviet and allied folks, to include a lovely fly-past by a Backfire, as we wandered about the 12 mile limit ... but that's over a generation ago. In those days, mail call was still a big deal.)

wondering
8th Feb 2021, 09:38
Stuff,

Thanks for the link. Some solid facts. That´s what I was looking for. Unbelievable how gullible people are. But gotta admit the Russians are masters in the disinformation game.

A_Van
8th Feb 2021, 16:47
Stuff,

Thanks for the link. Some solid facts. That´s what I was looking for. Unbelievable how gullible people are. But gotta admit the Russians are masters in the disinformation game.

Disinformation about "27 sailors" came from non-Russian media, BTW.
And we have a perfect example of disinformation here from Easy Street a couple of posts above who wrote that
"a Typhoon doing Baltic air policing recently tried out a special radar mode which, intelligence indicates, knocked out the entire air defence system of the Kaliningrad oblast for over 2 hours?"
Much more absurd than Su-24 vs Aegis.

ETOPS
8th Feb 2021, 17:19
The post from Easy Street was clearly made in jest to underline that anyone can post “facts” that will be believed by some...

But you knew that товарищ

Easy Street
8th Feb 2021, 19:36
The post from Easy Street was clearly made in jest to underline that anyone can post “facts” that will be believed by some...

But you knew that товарищ

Indeed. When I saw Van’s response, I wondered at first if the “head banging on wall” emoji might mean something else in Russian. But then I thought that maybe he is employing advanced information ops techniques, taking my obviously made-up story seriously to imply that we should do the same to his country’s. He’s not dumb.