PDA

View Full Version : CFI Plans

luisf4
22nd Jul 2015, 19:04
Hello All,
Guys I was wondering hows life as a CFI in Australia... can someone help me out with some estimates like salary, hours flown a month and hows the industry reacting with the actual aviation scenario there?

Right now I am flying as a first officer on a Pc-12 doing Medvac/Charter in Brazil but wife really wants to go back to her land so we are looking into options.... I know commercial aviation there is a tough industry.. so i figured depending on the numbers I could stay flight instructing for a while....
any taught s on that????:}:}:}

megle2
22nd Jul 2015, 21:28
From your comment "but wife really wants to go back to her land" seems to suggest your from somewhere else which raises the question of your licence validation - do you have a Aus licence

HarleyD
23rd Jul 2015, 03:58
PC12........First Officer?

CFI = Certified Flight Instructor?

You flying on an FAA certificate?

You will need to do full CASA CPL and Flight Instructor Rating, exams and flight test. See the website, the CASA website reference to converting foreign licences.

Aus is a big place, similar to Brazil in size. If your wife comes from Cairns and you can only get a job in Bunbury there could be issues.

Most Capital cities have a flying training industry, but with limited experience, and the outlook of converting licences, what Raptor said is pretty close to the mark I'd agree.

There is work here, but........

If however you have sufficient qualifications and experience and are shooting for an Australian CFI job, I.e. Chief Flying Instructor, these are about and pay fairly well considering. But you gotta put up with the whole CASA wheelbarrow of angst, and our wonderful new Part 61 debacle. If you are ME Instrument Rated and even better have tail wheel, formation, spinning and aeros training approvals you could do quite well.

Then you go work for jet star or tiger as an FO, and make a space for the next CFI

Why would you work in Brazil and marry an Australian girl??? I know guys here who would go to Brazil and fly co-pilot in a Cessna 150 just to get away from their wife.

HD

Aussie Bob
23rd Jul 2015, 05:02
What Raptor says although if you check out the AFAP jobs, flying instructors do seem to be advertised more often than say charter pilots, $50 - 80K would about pull up the pay I would reckon.

If you can make the actual CFI role (also advertised often enough), perhaps a bit more pay could be expected depending on who you get a job with.

Diesel Pilot
23rd Jul 2015, 08:58
What Raptor says although if you check out the AFAP jobs, flying instructors do seem to be advertised more often than say charter pilots, $50 - 80K would about pull up the pay I would reckon.

$50-80K as a flight instructor or CFI? I'm by no means an expert Aussie but no instructor I know of, even GR1 ME/IFR, earns that much.

As Raptor says instructing is very slow at the moment, casual work is the norm and hours are tough to come by. I got my GR3 last year and only managed around 30 hours in 6 months before having to give it away due to the lack of income, it just isn't enough to live off. An average of 5 paid hours a month for a 7 day commitment just didn't work for me, even though I love instructing. At least once a fortnight there would be instructors, often the same ones with a variety of backgrounds, coming in looking for work. But everyone has a different story and some do better than others, albeit within a ruthless environment.

luisf4, I'd really do my homework before moving back here. You sound a lot more qualified and experienced than me but the industry is slow at the moment, so make an informed decision. Good luck!

Aussie Bob
23rd Jul 2015, 10:13
$50-80K as a flight instructor or CFI? I'm by no means an expert Aussie but no instructor I know of, even GR1 ME/IFR, earns that much.:sad: Sadly your in the wrong circles Diesel. I just knocked back $50K for 4 days. I know a quite a few who get much more. IMHO pay is still pathetic given the cost of qualifications and skills required. Award for a full time grade three is north of $40K.

Diesel Pilot
23rd Jul 2015, 10:43
:sad: Sadly your in the wrong circles Diesel. I just knocked back $50K for 4 days. I know a quite a few who get much more. IMHO pay is still pathetic given the cost of qualifications and skills required. Award for a full time grade three is north of $40K.

Are you based east or west Aussie? $40k would have kept me involved for a start, but there wasn't any hope of a chance of a full time gig or enough business as a casual GR3 over here. I totally agree with you about the pay vs training costs, it's no where near enough!