PDA

View Full Version : Ulster DFM

Beaufort121
21st Jul 2015, 14:13
Does anyone have any info about the incident for which the only Distinguished Flying Medal was awarded during The Troubles in Northern Ireland? According to the London Gazette, it was awarded in Oct 1993.

Note: I don't think it can be connected to the relatively well-known 'Battle of Derry Road' incident, as this took place just a couple of weeks before the DFM was awarded.

Thanks.

Heathrow Harry
21st Jul 2015, 16:04
Gazetted 1th Oct 1993

Distinguished Flying Medal
D.F.M.

24200014 Staff Sergeant Trevor William SULLIVAN,
Army Air Corps

otherwise nothing on Google

Sloppy Link
21st Jul 2015, 22:02
Try the AAC Museum. The last DFM to be awarded and then it was Bliars Crosses for all.....and the first DFC went to....an Army NCO (he may have been RA at the time).

SL

Edit; TTN, you are quite correct, I have not edited my original post else yours wouldn't make sense!

Tankertrashnav
21st Jul 2015, 22:39
Bliars Crosses? It was in 1993 that the Major administration brought in the reform to the honours system, one part of which was the end of the award of the Distinguished Flying Medal and its naval and military equivalents. Odd that it was a Conservative government which introduced the idea of all ranks equality for orders and decorations. Personally I always thought that the DFM was a very handsome medal (as was the AFM) and had the additional feature of being named with the recipient's details.

Tom Joad
21st Jul 2015, 23:50
Is this the right one? If so then, agreed, it is rather smart in design.

Tom

http://dorchesters.com/image/cache/data/medals/full-size/distinguished-flying-medal-300x300.jpg

MOSTAFA
22nd Jul 2015, 05:35
Beaufort, like most of the Operational Awards for Gallantry awarded in Northern Ireland, the citations remain classified and for very obvious reasons.

teeteringhead
22nd Jul 2015, 08:12
Was it not at the same time as the RAF's only NI DFC??

Tankertrashnav
22nd Jul 2015, 09:04
Yes Tom that's the one, the only difference is that the one being discussed will bear the crowned head of The Queen.

There are very few oval medals in the British Honours ands Awards system, the only others being the Air Force medal and various versions of the Territorial Efficiency Medal and its successors and the RAF equivalent, the Air Efficiency Award. Originally the stripes on the ribbon were horizontal, but this was altered not long after the medal came into being in 1918 (same for the DFC).

Interestly, the army stopped awarding the equivalent Military Cross and Military Medal for service in Northern Ireland quite early in the 1970s, and subsequently actions which would previously merited these awards were recognised with the Queen's Gallantry Medal. The reason was political, and was probably to downplay "the troubles" and not recognise them as a war as such, although to those out there the difference would probably have been hard to discern at times!

Cows getting bigger
22nd Jul 2015, 10:57
Was it not at the same time as the RAF's only NI DFC??

Don't think so. The Puma DFC was in September 1994.

zic
22nd Jul 2015, 11:25
Having asked a few mates from around that era who served at 5 Regt - it appears that in 1992 whilst flying a Lynx in Fermanagh he responed to a "come-on" at a Border Crossing Point and was engaged by a PIRA gun team with at least 2 x GPMG0 and associated small arms. Having successfully evaded the ambush, he went back in and he (well his door gunner really) responded in kind and engaged said gun team. What the results of said re-engagement were are unknown

Beaufort121
22nd Jul 2015, 13:21
Thanks for the replies. There's a report in the Daily Telegraph of Jan 8th 1993 mentioning that running gun battle between a Lynx and gunmen on the ground (which would fit in with the awarding of the DFM ten months later), but it doesn't provide much detail, unfortunately.

diginagain
22nd Jul 2015, 20:02
FRB tasking did have its moments...

zic
23rd Jul 2015, 11:22
The Jul 91 Wessex crews would agree following their close encounter with a MANPAD....... :O

jayteeto
23rd Jul 2015, 14:22
I didn't realise Bill got a medal for that encounter, I thought he got a reprimand from his boss! (Joke)

Beaufort121
28th Jul 2015, 10:52
Speaking of the July 1991 SAM attack on the RAF Wessex, does anyone know if the pilot was decorated for evading the missile? Newspaper reports from the time are rather contradictory, some stating the missile failed to lock on and 'whistled harmlessly past', others that the pilot skilfully evaded the SA-7 missile.