PDA

View Full Version : Trump S-76 exiting a little dangerously?

chopper2004
20th Jul 2015, 21:26
Umm just watching the Beeb - the controversial story about DT attitude to John McCain re Vietnam POW experience and shows Donald exiting N76DT. Though whats worrying it appears (unless its the camera angle / wind direction) his goodself is straying perilously close to the rear of the tail?

Has anyone spotted this? Would have thought he walk straight from the door or at least away towards the area of the cameras aimed at him

Cheers

212man
20th Jul 2015, 22:23
Umm just watching the Beeb - the controversial story about DT attitude to John McCain re Vietnam POW experience and shows Donald exiting N76DT. Though whats worrying it appears (unless its the camera angle / wind direction) his goodself is straying perilously close to the rear of the tail?

Has anyone spotted this? Would have thought he walk straight from the door or at least away towards the area of the cameras aimed at him

Cheers
Tried to muster my "do I give a f**k if DT loses his head" reflex and failed. If he'd spent a few years hanging by his dislocated shoulders I might be more thorough.

Ian Corrigible
20th Jul 2015, 22:33
212man,

Hey, come on now, show a little consideration.

Firstly for the poor parts guy who would have to order another set of tail rotor blades (truly a tragedy at ~$207K a set).

Secondly for the poor mech who would then have to track and balance the TRBs (while also unthreading ginger toupe yarn from the TR mast). Could again be a tragedy were he to miss his daughter's birthday party due to working an unplanned late shift.

Thirdly for the poor janitorial staff at the heliport who would have to get the mops out. That *very* act could result in one of them failing to purchase the winning ticket for that day's mega millions jackpot.

So you see, it wouldn't be a victimless incident.

I/C

Fun Police
21st Jul 2015, 02:54
I bet in this case, they wouldn't mind.

OvertHawk
21st Jul 2015, 11:58
That would be an MOR I'd happily spend a couple of hours filing! ;)

Sir Korsky
21st Jul 2015, 12:58
You'd think he'd buy a D as he's " so rich "

Fareastdriver
21st Jul 2015, 13:36
Like others of his ilk he almost certainly thinks that he is immortal.

It reminds me of General Le May, who set up Stratrgic Air Command. He was standing under a fully armed bomber smoking a cigar. Somebody asked him to put it out.

"Why?"
"The airplane might catch fire, Sir."
He looked up at this mass of metal full of instant sunshine.
"It wouldn't dare."

tistisnot
21st Jul 2015, 14:25
Just seen the clip on BBC World ....... heavens, he was bloomin' miles away from the tail-rotor ....... unless he was going to walk through the stabilizer, or circumnavigate that and walk backwards into it .... HSE working overtime, if we can dare say that nowadays.

nigelh
21st Jul 2015, 16:16
For Gods sake don't show this to Sid ..... He will pontificate on safe angles of exit in differing side winds for hours, stay up until 3.00am reading helicopter exit manuals and really get his knickers in a twist again !!!!

heli1
21st Jul 2015, 20:45
He was actually trying to minimise the effect of the downdraft on his toupee?

The Sultan
21st Jul 2015, 21:11
On a S-76 walking aft maybe the safest path. Have not most 76 decaps been due to the low tip path in the forward quadrant?

The Sultan

Gomer Pylot
22nd Jul 2015, 01:26
I almost witnessed one of those up close. I was in a BH412 running on the ramp, when an S76 rolled up to the fuel point on the next pad. The PIC in the left seat was doing paperwork, the SIC in the right seat got out to refuel and started walking forward. It was obvious to me that his head was about to enter my cockpit window in pieces, and I started to try to get the window up, when he apparently felt the breeze from the rotor and ducked barely in time. The rotor had been driven forward and the left seat pilot wasn't paying attention to it, and it was almost full forward. About a dozen people were terrified across the ramp. You do not want to walk forward from an S76.

jimf671
22nd Jul 2015, 02:04
He was actually trying to minimise the effect of the downdraft on his toupee?

I think you may have hit the tape, sorry, nail on the head. Surely a rug wearer is going to have a well chosen exit path that is a mystery to the rest of us.

krypton_john
22nd Jul 2015, 03:54
Pilots landing in the vicinity of DT should be aware that his toupe will noticeably reduce ground effect.

Further, pilots should be aware of the possibility of a toupe separation event and subsequent FOD risk.

Solar
22nd Jul 2015, 06:46
Few years ago working offshore Nigeria we were watching (as you do) a 206 land on the helideck which was on the accommodation platform. We were on the adjacent production platform at a lower level than the helideck.
The 206 landed facing towards us at an angle where we could see most of the right side of the fuselage as far back as the rear door.
We saw a passenger get out the right side and duck under the tail boom which took him out of our sight, we could see the pilot who noticed this getting very agitated and we assumed the worst was about to happen.
Made both of us draw sharp intakes I can tell you.
Pilot shut it down and give the new lad a bit of a talking to.

darkroomsource
22nd Jul 2015, 06:53
He doesn't wear a toupee.
He has a comb-over.
It's one strand, 12 metres long, wound around and a round, and sprayed with industrial adhesive to keep it in place.

No company would make a toupee that looked that bad.

krypton_john
22nd Jul 2015, 07:42
This just in: DT uses the same glue for his comb-over that Robinson use to bond their rotor blades...

blakmax
22nd Jul 2015, 09:53
Kripton John

I have to say that the problem with Robinson blades is NOT the adhesive selected. The older -5 blades were I believe made using Cytec's FM73 adhesive and that is a really good adhesive. From what I have seen the -7 blades are apparently made using Cytec's FM300 adhesive and that too is a good adhesive.

The issue with bond failures is in fact the process used to prepare the surface prior to bonding, and I suspect that many manufacturers do not address the critical issue which is to develop a resistance to hydration of the surfaces which results in disbonding.

Now, how does that relate to DT's comb-over or toupee (is that a three-pee because two is not enough?) I'd love to specify the surface preparation....

1. Degrease using the strongest solvent possible. Note that for politicians (who are invariably slippery characters) that process would need to be repeated until water didn't bead up on his forehead. To test, try asking a few tough questions about policy. If you see beads of sweat, keep degreasing.
2. Remove surface oxides. A good strong acid etch would do the trick but in this case I would prefer aggressive abrasion with an air-driven sander with a rough abrasive sanding disk.
3. Treat with a reliable coupling agent, although I would steer clear of Ashley Madison.

All the best

Blakmax

Peter3127
22nd Jul 2015, 10:43
Oh Blakmax - you have momentarily turned your knowledge and strength normally used for good to evil ... and I am laughing my head off. :}

I'm now wondering what a good etch primer, or even a basic foaming (blonde coloured once cured) polyurethane glue could do for DT ...

rjsquirrel
23rd Jul 2015, 12:14
Many in the US think the greatest safety hazard is to the tail rotor blade.