PDA

View Full Version : Airports around the Barossa SA

flyingaround1
20th Jul 2015, 00:23
Hi all just seeing if anyone can recommend some Airports to visit around the Barossa SA, that make a good day trip.

Cheers :ok:

miroho
23rd Jul 2015, 23:56
not sure of the situation in the barossa but can recommend the Clare Valley strip, its a ripper.

Amiri01
24th Jul 2015, 12:32
Rowlands Flat airstrip is centrally located to the wineries and close to Tanunda. I don't know how public it is and it's an airstrip, not an airport per se. You would need to organise your own transport from the field to wherever you are going, or alternatively look forward to a nice walk.

AKAIK, that is the only airfield actually in the Barossa.

WAC
24th Jul 2015, 13:25
The only other strips a small private ones and/or disused like the anguston strip on Lindsay Park.

Pinky the pilot
24th Jul 2015, 14:29
I haven`t been in contact with the operators of the Rowland Flat strip in over 25 years so daresay things have changed somewhat. Back then it was a short strip that could only be used with prior permission. I do believe that the overall length has not changed.

And the last I heard about the strip at Lindsay Park;

Don`t even think about using it!!!!:eek::=:=:=

Standing by to be corrected by those who are better informed.

However, as a Barossa Boy (born and raised) even though I have not lived in the area now for over 25 years I still hold the firm view that there should be a sealed strip with PAL system and Instrument approach procedure in the area. Preferably in the Stockwell area but well west of the Sturt Highway.

Won`t happen though.:sad:

WAC
30th Jul 2015, 17:47
Not only would you probably get a grumpy reaction at Lindsay Park, I'd suggest the now overhanging trees and the area of runway used for stockpiling mounds of gravel could be issues...
The bales of hay stored in the hangar may also make parking inconvenient...

I have suggested my Cherokee would like to live here, but the reaction was not overly exciting!:rolleyes:

topdrop
31st Jul 2015, 03:58
Ask the King Air pilot with Malcolm Fraser on board about the trees at Lyndsay Park, arrived Parafield with gear down and greenery attached.

Pinky the pilot
3rd Aug 2015, 11:59
Ask the King Air pilot with Malcolm Fraser on board about the trees at Lyndsay Park, arrived Parafield with gear down and greenery attached.

Yers!! Makes for an interesting story, did it not, topdrop?

T`was the subject of a Press `D notice` at the time!:ooh::E

Goat Whisperer
4th Aug 2015, 07:35
Rowland Flat is walking distance to the Grant Burge winery but a tricky strip. Better off landing at Gawler and renting a car from there.

Coonawarra is a good strip.

Pinky the pilot
4th Aug 2015, 12:39
Coonawarra is a good strip.

Bit of a drive from the Barossa though.:}:eek::ooh:

gerry111
4th Aug 2015, 12:47
Pinky wrote: "Bit of a drive from the Barossa though."

But equally good Shiraz wine country.. :ok: