PDA

View Full Version : Vulcan RIAT 2015

More lookout
18th Jul 2015, 19:39
The most amazing display, on her farewell. Thanks to all who kept her flying, my boys and I will treasure the display for life.

Mach Two
18th Jul 2015, 19:56
I would have loved to see the tin triangle one last time and feel the ground shake. Sadly, it's not to be. Such an icon of my time.

airsound
18th Jul 2015, 20:19
Guys - it was only a farewell to RIAT - and even then, she'll do the same tomorrow (wx permitting). Actually, I say 'only' - but it was, indeed, a fantastic display....

Anyway, she'll do more than twenty more shows before her wheels finally touch down for the last time in October(?)

Check it out at http://www.vulcantothesky.org/appearances.html

airsound

GeeRam
18th Jul 2015, 20:56
Far from normal take off here....:ok:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lGt--x_vq_M

Almost on her back here.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jBRWLqGEoeQ

RedhillPhil
18th Jul 2015, 21:26
'kin' 'ell!

Good Vibs
18th Jul 2015, 22:05
To bad 558 can't surprise one of those Tu-95's and join up with one over the North Sea!

smujsmith
18th Jul 2015, 22:52
Saw it, awesome, nothing modern comes close. How we will miss that tin triangle.

Smudge

surely not
18th Jul 2015, 22:56
What superlatives would you guys use if you had seen the Vulcan displays in the 1970's? The stuff the Vulcan does now are very tame compared to how they used to be thrown around the sky when they were front line aircraft and on the display schedule.

air pig
18th Jul 2015, 23:15
Remember watching Dave Thomas doing display practice at Waddington, awesome.

smujsmith
18th Jul 2015, 23:30
Surely not,

I did, and rest assured no Vulcan display in the 70s came near what 558 did today, probably down to a lighter aircraft due to the removal of not required for flight equipment. As a techie at Akrotiri in 1973, and needing to get home to get married, I abandoned all hopes of a lift with the Air Transport fleet and managed to get a lift to St Athan with a 9 Squadron crew. Having done 5000 hours flying in the back of Albert since, the Vulcan experience back to my wedding, was nothing more than a few hours in the dark. But 558 was a star at Fairford today.

Smudge :ok:

Lets Aviat
18th Jul 2015, 23:31
I'm so annoyed I couldn't get the time off work to see this amazing aircraft. At only 25 years old this aircraft, concord, the lanc and spit are the aircraft I look up to. Huge feet in aviation history.

Gutted I didn't get to see her one last time but she will live on in our hearts and YouTube

Rhino power
19th Jul 2015, 01:05
I'm so annoyed I couldn't get the time off work to see this amazing aircraft. Gutted I didn't get to see her one last time but she will live on in our hearts and YouTube

You've got another 10 chances (serviceability permitting...) to see XH558 display this year, not to mention several fly-bys...

-RP

RAFEngO74to09
19th Jul 2015, 03:28
Longer vids here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=elyWH5NKoZE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sh-9uZjg1Tg

JointShiteFighter
19th Jul 2015, 04:09
Incredible take-off.

Don'ttouchthat!
19th Jul 2015, 08:03
I'm aware that sadness that this was probably my last chance to see her fly may have clouded my judgement, but yesterday's performance seemed wonderfully full on. There was a moment of (relative silence) after that amazing takeoff when all you could hear in the crowd was "B****y H*ll!", "J***s C****t!" And "F*** me!" in a variety of different languages. Outstanding. Hats off to all involved. And good luck with the final displays.

tezzer
19th Jul 2015, 08:15
I will never tire of watching that !

alisoncc
19th Jul 2015, 08:31
Do believe that 558 was one of our aries on 230 OCU at Finningley '63-66. If that's the case still need to finish the checks I started back then. Never signed the F700 either.

Wander00
19th Jul 2015, 10:11
At some stage in the early 70s I believe the 35 Sqn Vulcan display captain was Dave D.....e, best man at my first marriage, and with whom I am still in touch.

MATELO
19th Jul 2015, 19:09
Almost on her back here.....

Almost?.. I reckon she was.

19th Jul 2015, 19:46
Yes that looked properly inverted to me - RIAT yesterday was fantastic and I hope they were blessed with similar weather today.

It was the first view of a Vulcan for my boys and it brought back happy memories of graduation flypasts at FTS at Linton in the early 80s.

Some fantastic displays this year, the standard was very high across the board - special mention to the Chinook and the Reds.

Not sure wtf was going on with an R44 on the south side at about 500' while the pair of Mirages were waxing the place!

sharpend
19th Jul 2015, 19:57
It was so nice to hear a huge round of applause for the Vulcan; something that no other team received.

Wander00
19th Jul 2015, 22:46
The Reds got a well deserved standing ovation from the FRENCH at Tours a few weeks back - I have to confess I felt very proud to be a Brit, and a former RA Trust Trustee.

sharpend
20th Jul 2015, 07:57
Trouble with the Reds is that, over very many years, we have come to expect excellence and we always get it. Moreover, they have very tight rules as to exactly what they can do. The Vulcan display on Saturday was very exciting as it broke the rules and apparently got a yellow card. Obviously there is a very fine dividing line between safety and an exciting display. One only has to look at old footage of the Arrows flying Gnats to see just how exciting they were. Sadly (or sensibly) the Arrows cannot now fly down the runway at 2 foot 6. Sadly too we have seen the last of 22 Hunters looping. Would it not be fantastic to see 24 Typhoons looping in formation?

Whenurhappy
20th Jul 2015, 08:03
I took my family yesterday, having also been hosting previously. A great airshow, made by the Vulcan. But it's also interesting being back in the UK.

A couple of rhetorical questions:

Why are there so many enormously fat people at air shows?

Why would anyone go to a military air show wearing bits of discarded military clothing (and I don't mean the cadets and military re-enactors)? There were dozens of, frankly, weird people there wandering around in DPM jackets, random surplus flying gear (and no, I'm not referring to the foreign contingents). Do they wear this clothing normally, or do shows like these allow them to dig into the dressing up box?

And, finally, whilst on my DM rant, why do people cover themselves in the most bizarre tattoos? As we walked in, there was a chap who had spring shock absorbers inked on to his calves; one woman had tie-bows down the back of both legs. And these looked like otherwise-sane people.

I compare that with a recent foreign air show I attended, albeit in an official capacity, and visible tattoos were enough to be excluded from the crowd. Not that it matters, but I do wonder whether there are large sections of the UK public hell-bent on self destruction.

Right, I feel better now. "Nurse, is it time for my special pills?"

CoffmanStarter
20th Jul 2015, 08:35
I still think the Vulcan remains an outstanding example of British design and engineering ... compared to the cars available then (to the lucky few) like the Morris Minior, it must have looked as if had come straight out of science fiction.

A sad day when she will fly no more :(

aw ditor
20th Jul 2015, 08:47
Please don't knock the Moggie'. A great Motor!

BEagle
20th Jul 2015, 08:59
sharpend wrote: The Vulcan display on Saturday was very exciting as it broke the rules and apparently got a yellow card. Obviously there is a very fine dividing line between safety and an exciting display.

Hmm, having only seen the footage I did wonder :uhoh: . At least the crew now has a better artificial horizon installed than the Smiths MFS, so recovery from such steep attitudes is made rather easier - but the fatigue counts will doubtless be interesting...

Still, I gather the Vulcan display won a trophy.

glad rag
20th Jul 2015, 09:41
Hmm, having only seen the footage I did wonder :uhoh:

Indeed. it's a fine line...

just another jocky
20th Jul 2015, 12:41
At least the crew now has a better artificial horizon installed than the Smiths MFS, so recovery from such steep attitudes is made rather easier

A visual manouevre, surely?

I'm glad they're finally throwing her around a bit more with less regard to maintaining low fatigue counts. Such a shame it is the end. :(

BEagle
20th Jul 2015, 12:53
just another jocky, have you ever been in a Vulcan cockpit? Extreme pitch attitudes can just about be assessed by the horizon angle through the portholes - you can see √(c*ck all) through the windscreen at such attitudes and there is absolutely no overhead or rearward view. The MFS ran out of pitch at (I think) 20° nose-up, so it was by guess at higher pitch attitudes - apart from the ground angle through the portholes.

Aeroplanes which are 'thrown around' will usually be found in subsequent accident reports....:uhoh:

airsound
20th Jul 2015, 13:02
SharpendThe Vulcan display on Saturday was very exciting as it broke the rules and apparently got a yellow card.Actually, what happened was that another pilot, a Display Authorisation Evaluator, saw the take-off manoeuvre, and spoke to the Vulcan captain later about it.

The Vulcan captain then went, off his own bat, to see if the Flying Control Committee had any problems with it. After much consulting of rule books, the FCC decided that no rules had been broken. So, no yellow card.

I understand, though, that at least two other popular displays did get yellow cards!

Whenurhappy, I love your couple of rhetorical questions:After 35 years of working at air shows, I'm inclined to agree.

airsound

The Oberon
20th Jul 2015, 13:15
I have mentioned this before but not the time and place but seeing as the display envelope seems to be changing it may be worth another mention. Six weeks ago 558 was practicing at Scampton, at the end of the routine it flew fast down the runway from the A15 end before climbing out over the viewpoint. The climb out was at 70 - 75 degs. and before top of climb it flew a half roll and then levelled out inverted, another half role was carried out before it flew off the right way up. For once I was dumbstruck, I was involved with the Vulcan fleet from 1968 - 1980 and have seen lots of displays but nothing came close to the manoeuvre that I saw 6 weeks ago, and yes, I do know the difference between a half role and a wing over.

Valiantone
20th Jul 2015, 13:53
A slightly better video if only spoiled by the commentator

Jackw106
20th Jul 2015, 14:16
I used to go to Mildenhall and went once every three years. This was my first visit I hope I have captured the atmosphere. This is part one I have done the flying sequences to match up with the static displays

http://youtu.be/-egPwzNSwVU

Pittsextra
20th Jul 2015, 15:18
SharpendActually, what happened was that another pilot, a Display Authorisation Evaluator, saw the take-off manoeuvre, and spoke to the Vulcan captain later about it.

The Vulcan captain then went, off his own bat, to see if the Flying Control Committee had any problems with it. After much consulting of rule books, the FCC decided that no rules had been broken. So, no yellow card.

I understand, though, that at least two other popular displays did get yellow cards!

Whenurhappy, I love your After 35 years of working at air shows, I'm inclined to agree.

airsound

Polish MIG pilot by any chance?

airsound
20th Jul 2015, 15:52
Polish MIG pilot by any chance?
Sorry - genuinely don't know about that one.

airsound

just another jocky
20th Jul 2015, 17:06
just another jocky, have you ever been in a Vulcan cockpit? Extreme pitch attitudes can just about be assessed by the horizon angle through the portholes - you can see √(c*ck all) through the windscreen at such attitudes and there is absolutely no overhead or rearward view. The MFS ran out of pitch at (I think) 20° nose-up, so it was by guess at higher pitch attitudes - apart from the ground angle through the portholes.

Fairy snuff. :ok:

Aeroplanes which are 'thrown around' will usually be found in subsequent accident reports....:uhoh:

ITYKWIM. ;)

iansmith
21st Jul 2015, 11:14
I was there on Saturday, close to the point where most of the aircraft, including 558, started their take-off. It was the best take-off I recollect seeing, including all the ones I saw in the 70s and 80s (it helped to see that manoeuvre from behind - it doesn't look quite as impressive form the side).

I agree about the displays in general - up until this year they have been quite low key compared to the old days but they do seem to be pushing the envelope a little now that the end is near.

I live very close to Finningley and see many of the take-offs and you can always tell when Kev Rumens is at the controls as he tends to do the more spirited take-offs and certainly the more dramatic wing-overs and he was the pilot on Saturday (except during the formation with the Reds when Bill Ramsay took over).

It would be interesting to know if a different pilot displayed on Sunday and how the take-off compared.

iansmith
21st Jul 2015, 11:24
If I remember correctly, the commentator mentioned that the Vulcan display would include one 120 degree wing over, but I don't know if anyone had a protractor handy to check what we saw on Saturday.

I was quite impressed with the A400, which is also cleared to do 120 Degree wing overs, and included one in a very spirited display. It is just a shame it is so quiet.

topgas
21st Jul 2015, 21:15
Sunday's display was amazing.Great display topped off by flypast with the Reds - it doesn't get better than that. The morning's low cloud gave way to perfect blue skies :D
The commentator did make it clear that the cessation of flying at the end of the year was because of the withdrawal of Design/Engineering Authority by Marshall's, BAE and Rolls Royce, not lack of serviceable spares.
http://i870.photobucket.com/albums/ab266/topgas28/P7192216.jpg?t=1437426393
http://i870.photobucket.com/albums/ab266/topgas28/P7192211.jpg
http://i870.photobucket.com/albums/ab266/topgas28/P7192209.jpg
http://i870.photobucket.com/albums/ab266/topgas28/P7192210.jpg
http://i870.photobucket.com/albums/ab266/topgas28/P7192217.jpg

TheWizard
21st Jul 2015, 21:46
I have mentioned this before but not the time and place but seeing as the display envelope seems to be changing it may be worth another mention. Six weeks ago 558 was practicing at Scampton, at the end of the routine it flew fast down the runway from the A15 end before climbing out over the viewpoint. The climb out was at 70 - 75 degs. and before top of climb it flew a half roll and then levelled out inverted, another half role was carried out before it flew off the right way up. For once I was dumbstruck, I was involved with the Vulcan fleet from 1968 - 1980 and have seen lots of displays but nothing came close to the manoeuvre that I saw 6 weeks ago, and yes, I do know the difference between a half role and a wing over.

But not the difference between 'role' and 'roll' though!! :}

TheWizard
21st Jul 2015, 21:49
A slightly better video if only spoiled by the commentator

Awkward........

RedhillPhil
21st Jul 2015, 22:03
I reckon that this ones the best "howling" video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=YYOgsgnZ8dw#t=42

Jackw106
22nd Jul 2015, 07:36
The best I could achieve from my location in the crowd

RIAT part 3 XH558

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R4IuU0cEUb0

bluetail
22nd Jul 2015, 12:37
The pilot of the Saturday display was called to the RIAT FCC to explain himself after he landed, I gather the conversation lasted more than the cursory 5 minutes and facts of life were clearly explained to him. He wasn't the pilot on Sunday.

I was on north side of FFD at the time and the aircraft clearly looked to sideslip down after it did its manoeuvre. I wasn't sure if this was an optical illusion or similar, brighter people than me have since indicated it was not an optical illusion.

airsound
22nd Jul 2015, 12:48
bluetailThe pilot of the Saturday display was called to the RIAT FCC to explain himself after he landed, I gather the conversation lasted more than the cursory 5 minutes and facts of life were clearly explained to him. He wasn't the pilot on Sunday. As you'll see if you read my post #31 20 july 1402, on the previous page, that was not the case.

The pilot was not called to the FCC. He went of his own accord, after a conversation with another pilot, a Display Authorisation Evaluator. The FCC found that no rule had been broken.

He wasn't due to be the 'pilot flying' on Sunday.

I can't speak to what you saw from the North side.

airsound

bluetail
22nd Jul 2015, 13:19
Airsound

"As you'll see if you read my post #31 20 july 1402, on the previous page, that was not the case.

The pilot was not called to the FCC. He went of his own accord, after a conversation with another pilot, a Display Authorisation Evaluator. The FCC found that no rule had been broken."

I missed your post #31, so thanks for the correction, but I must admit I did give out a pretty excited and loud "F@&k Me when he did it.

airsound
22nd Jul 2015, 13:29
I don't think you were alone there, bluetail!

airsound

Jackw106
23rd Jul 2015, 07:11
I thought you couldn't improve on the Reds flying display having seen it for a few years now,
what about this year

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5wwdw0vi9c (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5wwdw0vi9c)

AndoniP
23rd Jul 2015, 09:20
I'm not a professional pilot by any means, and I was impressed at the spirited departure and wingover later on in the display.

I have a question though - on take off the pilot does a 180 degree right hand turn. At 90 degrees to the runway it looks like the Vulcan isn't climbing too fast and there is a load of side slip (?). Is this a manoeuvre where the aircraft is stable and climbing or is the pilot just trying to maintain a stable attitude and turn and once he levels out brings the gear up and continues with the display?

sh-9uZjg1Tg

AndoniP
23rd Jul 2015, 09:24
And here's a real treat - a gopro view of the inside of the Vulcan whilst flying with the Reds

3IYzrvD_QNs

pontifex
23rd Jul 2015, 09:49
He wasn't actually doing a half roll - just overbanking!

AndoniP
23rd Jul 2015, 10:06
I thought that teardrop turn (or whatever it's called) was an established bomb-tossing technique used in the 60s?

Momoe
23rd Jul 2015, 10:19
Glad that the Vulcan didn't go tech, the display was absolutely superb, having watched Vulcans display over the years. they haven't all been as spirited.

Now that airframe fatigue isn't the issue it was, it's just good to see a fine example of aeronatical engineering being displayed by some very good pilots.

A swansong befitting such an iconic aircraft, disregarding the controversial financing of XH558, I for one will find myself in dusty environs when she lands for the last time.

airsound
23rd Jul 2015, 10:32
MomoeGlad that the Vulcan didn't go tech,Touching wood for this year, of course, but she didn't miss a single show last year for tech reasons - just two for wx. Crew chief Taff Stone, and his merry band of six men and one woman do an absolutely brilliant job.

And I know the pilots will be very happy with your kind remarks about them.

airsound

wub
23rd Jul 2015, 13:44
Love the Red 11 helmet in the video!

Mmmmnice
31st Jul 2015, 23:25
When I was small I seem to recall seeing a Vulcan barrel rolling with the bomb doors open at RAF Wethersfield! Years later I'd lie in the approach lights at Waddo (after a night out in Lincoln) watching them night flying; and more recently watched Dave Thomas doing one of his last displays for the CFS Assoc at Scampton. It's a shame that given all the money the Govt wastes on other things it can't find a little to keep this outstanding a/c flying? I'll be down in Bournemouth to see one fo the final (ever) displays........

chopper2004
1st Aug 2015, 00:49
From my photos on the sat, in a nice chalet garden

cheers

http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g209/longranger/IMG_5368_zpsovxbedzh.jpg

http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g209/longranger/IMG_5374_zps88dhz388.jpg

http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g209/longranger/IMG_5380_zpsvluce7gh.jpg

http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g209/longranger/IMG_5300_zpspnfmikra.jpg

http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g209/longranger/IMG_5295_zpsil996zw0.jpg

http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g209/longranger/IMG_5387_zpsoogecglm.jpg

http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g209/longranger/IMG_6356_zpsj1qzrm1n.jpg

http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g209/longranger/IMG_6366_zpslxvitwbm.jpg

http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g209/longranger/IMG_6371_zpsm9p21ivw.jpg

http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g209/longranger/IMG_6375_zpsgqdqqivh.jpg

http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g209/longranger/IMG_6281_zpsscf5niwy.jpg

http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g209/longranger/IMG_6291_zps7cvobb4f.jpg

http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g209/longranger/IMG_6422_zpsb9tnfasx.jpg

tartare
1st Aug 2015, 01:14
Overbank schmoverbank.
Roly Falk would have been proud of the man.
The only jet bomber that can be chucked around like a jet fighter... to my knowledge.

Lyneham Lad
1st Aug 2015, 14:47
From my photos on the sat, in a nice chalet garden

Excellent - thanks for posting :)
(Ex-Scampton linie '64-'66)

Pontius Navigator
1st Aug 2015, 17:37
Pontiflex, been there, had that done to me.

Andonip, the Vulcan only ever made attacks wings level though it did have one attack when climbing at about 8,000 ft per minute. The Canberra and Buccanner and indeed the B47 practised LABS, but not the Vulcan.

See a LABS video here:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=mqIJL8lx00o

methley
7th Aug 2015, 14:07
Just one last photo from the Saturday....

https://scontent.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpt1/v/t1.0-9/11742716_10153522951671532_7837386318670748824_n.jpg?oh=41a9 15c83f15da53f67703902b50700e&oe=563DE14A

Chainkicker
19th Aug 2015, 12:56
Just heard on the local radio, will now be displaying on Saturday (22nd Aug) at the Dawlish Air Show.

Gsxr600
20th Aug 2015, 07:45
The only jet bomber that can be chucked around like a jet fighter... to my knowledge.

I've seen the B1 Lancer rolled many years ago at Mildenhall but sadly the B1 displays these days (which are rare even in the US) are very tame.

Pontius Navigator
20th Aug 2015, 09:00
Further to my post above, there are lots of YouTube video of B47 manoeuvres including barrel rolls, labs and Immerman turns with up to 3g.

I was surprised how similar in size it was to a Vulcan albeit lighter and a greater fuel load. Speed and ceiling were not as good though but over 1700 built must have been good

JointShiteFighter
20th Aug 2015, 20:37
Every weather forecast for Bournemouth (23rd) cites it's pissing it down with poor visibility. Terrible conditions for VFR. :(

Noooooooooooo!

JointShiteFighter
20th Aug 2015, 20:48
Chopper2004, those images brought a tear to my eye. Thank you for sharing.

Bolleaux to Rolls Royce.

GeeRam
21st Aug 2015, 10:19
Every weather forecast for Bournemouth (23rd) cites it's pissing it down with poor visibility. Terrible conditions for VFR.

Yup, weather looking good for Saturday on south coast, so I wonder how many people might give Bournemouth a miss on Sunday and head to Shoreham on Saturday instead - if their primary aim is to see the Vulcan for perhaps the last time.

Bournemouth may well have shot themselves in the foot by refusing to book '558 for the Saturday as well, when Shoreham added her for Saturday.

JointShiteFighter
21st Aug 2015, 10:30
The Bournemouth organisers are crazy for not booking the aircraft for both days. They will have lost a lot of visitors on Sunday, myself included.

I shan't be going to Shoreham but I will be going to either Old Sarum or Goodwood (location depends on the weather at each venue) to give the old girl a final salute. I'd prefer Old Sarum as I'd like to see the Great War Display Team. I don't usually like to watch other people fly (I'd rather fly myself!) but I'll make an exception for those two.

Here's some nostalgia from Waddo, I nicked this from FB:

https://scontent-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xfp1/v/t1.0-9/11899896_1560240817529930_9157525609401848428_n.jpg?oh=cfc79 5444aaa9004b1f7f6c9938e6972&oe=566ED4F9

GeeRam
21st Aug 2015, 10:58
I shan't be going to Shoreham but I will be going to either Old Sarum or Goodwood (location depends on the weather at each venue) to give the old girl a final salute.

Goodwood Revival for Saturday/Sunday sold out quite a while ago, so unless you have some very good contacts to gain entry, or intend watching from some distance away.......Old Sarum might be the better bet, regardless of weather.

NutLoose
21st Aug 2015, 11:08
For those in the Midlands area, She is booked for The Victory Show on Sunday the 5th of September just outside Leicester, it's one of her last shows, if you have not been to this sleeper of a show it is an excellent day out, they have re-enactors galore, the strip is grass and very close to the crowd line, additionally to the smallish airshow (but quality) they have a staged battle in the arena that has in the past covered a couple of fields, you can also wander around trench emplacements and chat to the re-enactors..... I shouldn't hype it up lol as I don't want to queue for a long time, but for those interested see

Aircraft (http://www.thevictoryshow.co.uk/index.php/event-diary/aircraft)

A couple of examples of what you will see, taken by me :)

http://i536.photobucket.com/albums/ff321/taylortony/Victory%20Show%202012/dak5.jpg

http://i536.photobucket.com/albums/ff321/taylortony/Victory%20Show%202012/Spit.jpg

http://i536.photobucket.com/albums/ff321/taylortony/victory%202014/Warvic7_zps7ee46aa7.jpg

http://i536.photobucket.com/albums/ff321/taylortony/Victory%20Show%202012/DAK.jpg

http://i536.photobucket.com/albums/ff321/taylortony/Victory%20Show%202012/Stuart2.jpg

oohh and better not forget

http://i536.photobucket.com/albums/ff321/taylortony/Victory%20Show%202012/Vulc.jpg

Methley, love the photo and welcome to the forums :)

GeeRam
21st Aug 2015, 11:08
The guy who took this the other week from up on Beachy Head publically posted this on another forum....one of the best shots I've seen of '558 in a long while :D

https://farm1.staticflickr.com/772/19999798483_b854d88d72_c.jpg

JointShiteFighter
21st Aug 2015, 11:24
Great shot!

The only problem is the Typhoon in its BoB livery won't be making an appearance at Old Sarum. It'll be doing Southend, instead. I wanted to photograph that one livery as its unique and I doubt it'll last for long after this season concludes.

Fluffy Bunny
21st Aug 2015, 11:39
Aaaah Nutty. A pic of Johnny Oddball. IRL a bloody good chap and always willing to stand at the bar for a natter and a couple of pints!

GeeRam
21st Aug 2015, 12:07
Great shot!

The only problem is the Typhoon in its BoB livery won't be making an appearance at Old Sarum.

Typhoon is booked for Shoreham but on the Sunday only....and the weather isn't looking too good for that, well not between midday and mid-afternoon at any rate.

mike24652
21st Aug 2015, 15:40
I was over in the UK a couple of summers ago and took this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MNcEWg3crW8

Brings back a lot of memories from my days in Wadddington, my first posting!!

NutLoose
21st Aug 2015, 18:33
GeeRam, the film to that photo

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=V_6bZ2Kzaj8

Possible bird strike at about 330?

Pontius Navigator
21st Aug 2015, 20:59
Nutty, you could be right.

JointShiteFighter
23rd Aug 2015, 18:00
GeeRam, this was posted by Red 10 on Twitter a little while back.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CNGeMmPWcAApZP_.jpg:large

Look at that, the perfect setting for the perfect photograph. Weather and cloud placement is perfect, the boat positioning is perfect, loads of people on the beach, and the old girl doing what she does best in her second life. The Met Office, along with every other weather site I checked said that it was going to be slashing it down all day.

Words can not describe how furious I am, right now. :mad:

pulse1
23rd Aug 2015, 18:46
I have to say that the way the Vulcan "signed off" at the Bournemouth Show today was superb, at least from where I was standing. It started with the blue noise, up into a 120 degree climbing bank, and then noisily climbed steeply through the patchy clouds, never to be seen at Bournemouth again:{

Flying_Anorak
24th Aug 2015, 00:35
"Not sure wtf was going on with an R44 on the south side at about 500' while the pair of Mirages were waxing the place!"

To answer that question, it was on a scheduled photo sortie to cover the site and I was the photographer! We stayed south of the display line at all times whilst Ramex Delta operated to the north but I can assure you we were both keeping a good lookout! ATC asked us to hold at that altitude until we could recover back to the north.

JointShiteFighter
24th Aug 2015, 02:01
FA, as a photographer myself, I am always intrigued by the work of others. So to allow me to scratch the curiosity itch, would you mind sharing some of the keepers from that sortie, please?

Chainkicker
24th Aug 2015, 07:33
I have to say that the way the Vulcan "signed off" at the Bournemouth Show today was superb, at least from where I was standing. It started with the blue noise, up into a 120 degree climbing bank, and then noisily climbed steeply through the patchy clouds, never to be seen at Bournemouth again:{

As she did at Dawlish Saturday afternoon. Short clip in mp4 of her departing as the weather closed in. Apologies for the unsteady video but the sea was picking up a bit and it was on a point and shoot camera...

http://www.mutualsupport.org.uk/videos/VulcanDepartsDawlish.mp4

david340r
24th Aug 2015, 13:43
"If I remember correctly, the commentator mentioned that the Vulcan display would include one 120 degree wing over, but I don't know if anyone had a protractor handy to check what we saw on Saturday."

I was at the Coffee Cub at Doncaster on July 23rd and towards the end they started moving jacks into position under her. One of the team told me they were concerned because of the hard time she had been given at RIAT (over 135 degrees was mentioned earlier by another team member) and they were going to do some extra NDT checks. The jacks were to ensure the wings were correctly loaded during this process.