PDA

View Full Version : Private Flying in Indonesia

Pappy Herbst
17th Jul 2015, 08:05
Hi all,

We have a 206 that we are considering flying into Indonesia and basing in Bali while we holiday there for a few months.

Has anyone first hand experience of private G.A. flying in Indonesia thanks?

Cheers
Pappy

Duck Pilot
17th Jul 2015, 20:34
Be very carefull and make sure you have all your permits in place with the Indonesian Authorities before you launch for a port in Indonesia. There have been a few pilots locked up and had their aircraft impounded for arriving (allegedly) without the correct documentation.

I would personally fly commercially if I had to go there to avoid the stress.

triadic
17th Jul 2015, 21:05
Best check Avgas availability. Not many non turbine aircraft there. You may have to pre arrange... At $$$?

hiwaytohell
17th Jul 2015, 23:04
In addition to the previous comments:

Make sure you have plenty of "good money": Unmarked US dollar bills less than 5 years old.

Do really good fuel checks if you are uplifting avgas.

Global Aviator
17th Jul 2015, 23:33
I'd contact Air Bali, I thought they had a Chieftain but looks like on heli. Still could help you out.

There is a C208 on floats in Bali and also an Antonov radial thingy.

Be awesome flying around in the 206, spectacular scenery!

training wheels
18th Jul 2015, 01:51
There's a flying school based at Buleleng in the north who operates a fleet of C172 and PA44. You may be able to arrange AVGAS from their supplier. There are two other flight schools in the region, in neighbouring Lombok island and Madura islands. Private flying in Indonesia is very rare, even more so for foreign aircraft and crew. Be prepared for 'unexpected' expenses to get the wheels of Indonesian bureacracy moving.

training wheels
18th Jul 2015, 01:52
Buleleng Airport from Wikipedia https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lt._Col._Wisnu_Airfield

dhavillandpilot
18th Jul 2015, 02:04
Hi

I've flown thru Bali many times and despite what everyone says it relatively easy provided to follow THEIR rules.

I'd contact Dude in Bali who does all my clearances.

Also at Dempassar the main handler is executive jet sAME as at Sydney, but they are expensive.

On the other side of the airport is the GA section, but mostly turbines, including a turbine 206.

Never had a problem with Avgas here, but it is about $US3 a litre unless you come to some arrangement.

Have fun,

PS. although it may seem a wank wearing white uniform and stripes even flying a 206 is a good idea. Most asian countries will treat you with respect if you do.
Also make sure you have a current ASIC card

Pappy Herbst
18th Jul 2015, 03:43
Hi all, thanks for your replies. A friend has a house in Bali and loves it there so we are seriously investigating the option of having the plane up there for a few months for a bit of a look-see.

"Be awesome flying around in the 206, spectacular scenery!"
- thats what we're after Global Aviator, something a bit different for the scrapbook

dhavillandpilot, thanks for the vote of confidence. If its ok would you please be able to pm the contact details of the Dude in Bali who does your clearances thanks?

Training Wheels, thanks for the Buleleng information - will contact them too.

Global Aviator, good to hear there is some interesting aviation there - a Van on floats and Antonov sound like there's some interesting flying lads up there.

Highway to Hell, roger on the unmarked bills, if you have any that you need unloading . . .

Triadic, yeah cant find anything online listing all the avgas locations . . .

Duck Pilot, roger on the ease of commercial flights and the intercepts and arrested pilots. We're a bit stubborn though and when there's a new horizon calling, enough in the bank to allow a roll of the dice and the chance of adventure over the waves, well we the sort of flying fools who like to kick the tires light the fires and see what we can see . . . after of course researching what we can.

Please therefore keep the ideas and advice coming thanks guys :)

Unregistered User
18th Jul 2015, 20:22
Pappy:

dhavillandpilot refers to a gentlemen by the name of Dude; pronounced "Doo'day".

I've used his services a few years ago, and I found his team were excellent in every way. I am sure dhavillandpilot will have Dudes contact details as I don't.

Good luck with the dream!

:ok:

Pappy Herbst
19th Jul 2015, 01:42
Thanks for the clarifcation Unregistered User.

Good to know there are useful dudes around called Dude.
Today will look for Doo'day.

Cheers
Pappy

Ultralights
19th Jul 2015, 11:04
Plenty of spare cash, and i mean plenty, and US dollars only.

B772
19th Jul 2015, 12:47
Be mindful of parking charges and wary of 'handling' charges. Any local flying may need 'approvals' other than flight plan approval.

Make sure your insurance broker/company are aware of your plans and receive confirmation in writing.

Check your intended long stay in Bali is not seen as importing an aircraft into the Country.

CASA may also provide a few tips re documentation required etc etc

Captain Stravaigin
19th Jul 2015, 21:43
Will your route take you over Kuala Lumpur ?

Pappy Herbst
20th Jul 2015, 09:47
Thanks guys. Still in the gathering information stage. Thanks for all the advice and contacts. We are now in email contact with them. Malaysia is a bit far but have heard good things about flying there.

Have received photos of the flying in Indonesia and it certainly looks beautiful ...

Red Byron
1st Feb 2020, 06:52
Did you end up flying in to Indonesia ?

I'm considering a trip through there; I've contacted a few schools and individuals, trying to line up AvGas, but haven't confirmed any yet.

Can you provide helpful pointers about AvGas, good/bad handling stories etc ?

Range is less than 700nm and I intend to go from Oz up through Singapore, so any preferential refuel stop advice would be useful.....

Double_Clutch
1st Feb 2020, 11:38
Heaps of “Benjamin Franklins” and you should be ok!

HarleyD2
1st Feb 2020, 19:09
I have flown in and through Indo on many occasions but not for a few years now. Every bit of advice offered so far is good stuff, all of it.

every airport in info is a bit different with some local ‘rules’ applicable so get local advice when ever possible. The aviation community is friendly and helpful. There is a lot of clouds there every day and some have very big high rocks in them. Be aware. ATC will not necessarily vector you around them, that’s your responsibility.

get all ducks in a row, take more USD than you can ever conceive needing, make sure it is fresh, clean unmarked no creased corners.

have fun it’s a beautiful place.

HD2

krismiler
2nd Feb 2020, 08:37
Be prepared for non standard ATC terminology such as "expect 2 turn in the hold" or "fly heading 180 for a while". The busier airports are controlled chaos but things seem to work okay if you go with the flow. Unlike Australia, ATC can't be bothered reporting pilot screw ups and a simple "sorry" will usually do for the minor infractions, major stuff might require some folding to change hands. Indonesians prefer to avoid conflict situations but if you cause someone to lose "face" it can get ugly very quickly.

The biggest annoyance is the idiots making animal sounds on 121.5, usually cat meows but other species can sometimes be heard.

Asturias56
2nd Feb 2020, 10:12
Usual rules of doing business in Indonesia:

Never ask a question to which the answer is yes or no - they will always try to keep you happy - thus not"is there any avgas at this airport?" but "how much avgas is there at this airport?"

Never, ever ever shout or rage - speaking quietly is the absolute norm

In Bali never touch anyone especially children on the head..

Smile, always smile...............

Go withe the flow - there's you and there are 264 million of them - they ain't going to change to suit you.

Lie back and enjoy it - and take a good book for the hours in lines, waiting rooms, offices...........................

PoppaJo
6th Feb 2020, 00:23
Just don’t get the authorities offside. Otherwise expect all the bells and whistles. They will make it a big deal.

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/678x452/61eb1486_9a7b_42e0_86df_1c4c3e666ac8_ef9eefd784617195d75c07d 3064a55f164c05d9b.jpeg

Asturias56
6th Feb 2020, 07:05
On an individual level status and pride are very very important - you are expected to show respect to (especially) anyone older than yourself and (as well) anyone in any position of authority - however trivial that authority may seem to you.

I've always found starting out by saying "I'm an ignorant foreigner & really don't know all the rules here - can you help me" works quite well - defo. better than "My rights are...."