PDA

View Full Version : QF Mid Air Plunge? A case of windshear?

Tipsy Barossa
15th Jul 2015, 22:14
Scary mid-air plunge prompts Qantas email - National - NZ Herald News (http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=11481613)

A Qantas Boeing 737 touching down at Wellington Airport. File photo / Mark Mitchell
Passengers on a Wellington to Sydney flight took a terrifying mid-air plunge that knocked the aircraft off its axis as it flew in to land.

A Wellington woman on the Qantas flight said it suddenly lost height while cornering shortly before touching down in Sydney.

The fuselage also tilted so it was nearly vertical to the ground, she said.

"One wing dropped right and so we were falling violently for about two seconds. Everyone clasped on to the front of their seats and there was a collective squeal," said the woman, who did not want her name published.

"It righted itself but no one said anything."

Passengers were fastened into their seats at the time.

The next day they were sent an email saying the flight had hit "some turbulence on descent and we appreciate this may have been unpleasant for you".

"We do our best to make your journeys run smoothly, thank you for your understanding," the email said.

A Qantas spokesman yesterday confirmed none of the 144 passengers on board was injured.

"[The flight] experienced turbulence caused by a wind gust as the aircraft was coming in to landing at Sydney International Airport.

"The level of turbulence felt by customers is not uncommon in high-wind situations. The aircraft landed as per normal."

Upon arrival, the captain spoke to the customer service manager on board, who confirmed there were no injuries to passengers or crew, the spokesman said.

But on the day, passengers were in the dark about what happened and everyone simply got off as normal, the Wellington woman said.

"I think pretty much everyone would have been quite shocked," she said. "I was happy when it righted itself. I'm not a terrified flyer.

"It was just kind of weird that [Qantas] didn't say anything and then sent an email."

Another woman on the flight was happy with Qantas' response, but said she was scared by what happened as everyone around her "screamed or made loud noises".

"I was quite shocked but if we're going to crash, we're going to crash, so me screaming isn't going to do anything about it," she said.

- NZME.

Could it have been wake turbulence from a dugong? :bored:

AerocatS2A
16th Jul 2015, 00:01
Do dugongs fly into Wellington? Anyway, it's Wellington, the wind would've been 40 knots across the hills and any wake turb would be well gone.

Oakape
16th Jul 2015, 00:22
Actually, it was Sydney.

VH-Cheer Up
16th Jul 2015, 01:32
Aside from the fact the company emailed everyone, which seems unusual, is there any factual basis to the story?

itsnotthatbloodyhard
16th Jul 2015, 02:15
Sloppy journalism. They should know that if 'the fuselage also tilted so it was nearly vertical to the ground', it's not a Plunge, it's a Plummet.

VH-FTS
16th Jul 2015, 02:43
Wake turbulence from a dugong? What is this, the comments section of Avherald?

capt.cynical
16th Jul 2015, 03:43
WTF No schools or hospitals in danger.

That "Journo" should be sacked !!

Tipsy Barossa
16th Jul 2015, 07:05
AerocatS2A

Do dugongs fly into Wellington? Anyway, it's Wellington, the wind would've been 40 knots across the hills and any wake turb would be well gone.

Quick Draw McGraw with IELTS level 3.9 English conprehension?

VH-FTS... yes, the dugong does break wind, sometimes!

PLovett
16th Jul 2015, 07:32
I recall reading an internet article written by a US airline pilot about the time his 777 encountered the wake from an A380 over the Atlantic. The crew of the 777 had watched the A380 overtake them and shortly after they were cleared through the A380's altitude. The encounter was quite pronounced and reasonably violent for an aircraft the size of a 777. I would image a 737 encounter with an A380 wake would be even more dramatic.

sunnySA
16th Jul 2015, 10:11
I guess we'll have to wait to see whether the occurrence is reported to ATSB by the pilot/airline as an Immediately reportable matter or Routine reportable matter.

blow.n.gasket
16th Jul 2015, 10:49
" I guess we'll have to wait to see whether the occurrence is reported to ATSB by the pilot/airline as an Immediately reportable matter or Routine reportable matter. "

Only if Claytons Qantas does what big brother would do ,or as one suspects, sweep it under the carpet like the other Star in the Group does in similar circumstances!
ASIR to be submitted within 24Hrs for such an event , isn't it ?

Pinky the pilot
16th Jul 2015, 10:56
That "Journo" should be sacked !!

Respectfully disagree! The `Journo` concerned should be immediately awarded NZ`s highest possible writing award for fiction!:rolleyes::ugh:

Then taken out and shot!:=:*

maggot
16th Jul 2015, 11:18
I recall reading an internet article written by a US airline pilot about the time his 777 encountered the wake from an A380 over the Atlantic. The crew of the 777 had watched the A380 overtake them and shortly after they were cleared through the A380's altitude. The encounter was quite pronounced and reasonably violent for an aircraft the size of a 777. I would image a 737 encounter with an A380 wake would be even more dramatic.
Funnily enough the nastiest wake I've hit in 20 years was from a 777, whilst sitting in my a380 :)

AerocatS2A
16th Jul 2015, 13:02
Quick Draw McGraw with IELTS level 3.9 English conprehension?

VH-FTS... yes, the dugong does break wind, sometimes!

Yes. My skim reading conflated the phrase "touching down in Wellington" with the rest of the story.

framer
16th Jul 2015, 19:32
This is pretty terrible really. An airliner went flying and encountered moderate turbulence.....I think all those fare paying passengers deserve compensation and a hug. Nice story NZ Herald.

waren9
16th Jul 2015, 21:29
Only if Claytons Qantas does what big brother would do….ASIR to be submitted within 24Hrs for such an event , isn't it ?

well, maybe if it was vh- rego'd it might be.

zk- perhaps not so much.

tail wheel
16th Jul 2015, 21:56
Not sloppy journalism.

Pathetic, childish and sensationalist journalism unworthy of debate by professional aviators - and unworthy of any major media organisation which values it's integrity.

73qanda
16th Jul 2015, 22:04
well, maybe if it was vh- rego'd it might be.

zk- perhaps not so much.

That shows me how different people's experiences can be. I have had the exact opposite experience. I try not to project that into the future though, it may have been a one off.

tail wheel
16th Jul 2015, 22:14
Since when has state of registration had anything to do with clear air turbulence? :confused: :confused:

Or is this thread also going to decline into a BS slinging exercise?

waren9
16th Jul 2015, 23:36
eh? read my post again.

mr gasket infers that this operators first reporting responsibility is to casa/atsb with an asir.

i simply queried if that is in fact the case when an aircraft has a zk- rego.

blow.n.gasket
17th Jul 2015, 06:18
Exactly Pilat.

There are an extensive list of occurrences to report that can be found in the Qantas manuals.
After all Jet Connect looks like Qantas, so one would expect there to be similar equivalency in their operations to that of their big "brother".
ie _if it was reportable, the Qantas Safety Department would be involved.

Wake turbulence ,severe windshear, and aircraft control problems ,including aircraft handling difficulties, excessive pitch attitude, aircraft trim problems, uncommanded roll, or commanded turn, to name but a few from the list of reportable items.

The ASIR is a Company reporting form used to report safety related hazards, occurrences, incidents and or accidents.

Not to be confused with the ATSB Warren.

If however the occurrence was judged to be warranted, they, the ATSB would be involved at some stage ,in conjunction with the NZCAA, seeing as the "event " occurred in Australian airspace.

Teevee
17th Jul 2015, 08:00
Come on guys! It's obvious! The aircraft was cornering! probably just a bit of over steer .....:ugh:

Mimpe
22nd Jul 2015, 11:22
I think its called a 'sporty' approach in some circles - nothingmuch to see here chaps, move along...
Worst wake turbulence for me was a 45-50 deg sudden onset bank angle at 800 ft, totally unexpected.