PDA

View Full Version : B1.1 License help

sal1
15th Jul 2015, 20:50
Right from the get go I will apologise if this has been posted several times before! Also if anything I say is wrong feel free to keep it to yourselves...nah I'm kidding.

So here is my dilemma folks...
Basically I have a few questions regarding the acquirement of a EASA B1.1 engineers license...I graduated in 2013 and really want to be an aircraft engineer and still can't get my head round a few things...

So here goes...

I have studied Aerospace Technology with Management at University of Hertfordshire so would I need to complete the 5 year worth of experience still?

How would I go about gaining this 5 years of experience? What is the best way to get in? Where should I look and to whom do I apply to??

Do I complete the theory aspect first before venturing into the practical side of things?

If I fail my exams can I retake? If so…how many times?

With the theory side (which I still need to do) why is it some places charge £7000 to learn the theory where as other places could allow me just to purchase the reading material for the fraction of the price????

So when I am getting experience do I first get type rating on a particular aircraft or would that be after the 5 years worth of experience?

Could anyone give me further hints and tips for a enthusiastic engineer wannabe like myself?

Thanks in advance for any help with this matter

Sal1

BluFin
28th Jul 2015, 20:10
Get yourself over to
http://www.qcm.ch/uploads/media/QCM-Part-66-en-Rev03-150715.pdf
download and read Part 66 & appendix

it will answer most of your questions

You will need to get a relevant job in a Part 145, apply to everybody and be prepared to be turned away.

modules completed may help your application but don't bank on it

traditional way in is an apprenticeship, some offer improver routes but that's based on an existing skill base

kapton
30th Jul 2015, 21:00
Good evening sal1. In addition to BluFin's advice, I would recommend you look at disciplines associated with aircraft engineering such as planning and quality assurance. The reason for this is that a B Licensed Engineer is concerned primarily with the maintenance of aircraft, and the course you have studied is not wholly compatible with maintaining aircraft. Maybe apply to one of the big engineering companies and see if you can be accepted onto one of their post-graduate training courses. In recent years I have worked with many people who have undertaken these pseudo aircraft engineering courses, and in the vast majority of cases they do not like the nitty gritty of aircraft maintenance. Unfortunately, the money-spinning racketeers in the education industry devise ever fiendish wheezes in how to extract the maximum amount of money from enthusiastic students, whilst leaving them qualified in nothing. What you have studied is worthwhile to a point, but to embark on the licensed route in aircraft engineering would take you at least another 2 to 3 years of study and examinations, whilst trying to gain practical training and experience. Most aircraft maintenance companies do not have the time, or willing, to take the financial commitment to take you to the point where you would be an asset. It may seem short-sighted to you, but most companies work to tight schedules and have little spare capacity to undertake extra training, when they can emply someone with good GCSE's and train them within 3 years to their requirements. However, good luck for the future in whatever engineering discipline you decide to go for.