PDA

View Full Version : Belfast at Cairns

AndersD
15th Jul 2015, 10:36
Has anyone any up to date info on the Belfast parked at Cairns as of July 15
I worked on the building of this aircraft in the 1960's as an apprentice

DHC4
15th Jul 2015, 11:01
I have seen them a few times in Brisbane, but not lately. Big maintenance burden on them NDT on parts of the gear after every flight. I take it you are ex Shorts.

aroa
16th Jul 2015, 02:10
saw it yesterday still parked at CNS. Wish it could be moved inland away from the damp salty environment. Would hate to see it scrapped...a unique aviation history artifact.

ex shorts ?.... but undies, so no unwarranted exposure.

Would have been one hell of an interesting job putting one of those beasts together. B I G :ok:

Mainframe
16th Jul 2015, 02:44
Anders, check your pm's

AndersD
16th Jul 2015, 06:47
Thank you aroa that is good news that she is still there.
I wonder what can be done to give her more protection.
Short's are very necessary in the colder climate of Northern Ireland
Yes she was a mighty beast to work on. The staff were very proud of their achievement. The factory is still there, owned by Canadians now.

DutyofCare
18th Jul 2015, 17:17
They had the GPU plugged in not so long ago & the odd eng run: however safe to say that them 4 x Roll Royce Meth injected Tynes would be Cactus for air ops !!!

Yes Cobber, sad to see it rotting in CS & not Mareeba.

I wonder if the DH's at the Port A are charging them for parking, have you seen what's left of once was a top line of GA machines this yr ???

It called a Shorts Belfast > moreover it should be called a Belslow.

A top freighted in its day " That's for sure " tops for yachts ...

Stanwell
19th Jul 2015, 00:27
Went past CNS not long ago but didn't have time to stop and have a look at it.
It's interesting, though, that somebody is still throwing money at it.

Now, if Sid Beck from Mareeba was still around, he'd find a way, I'm sure.

pithblot
19th Jul 2015, 02:19
The Belfast looks huge, even from the terminal & it doesn't seem to be totally abandoned. What's the story of the DC3 parked next to it?

An interesting thread drift from the Canada forum is that the
Martin Mars may live to fly another day. (http://www.pprune.org/canada/564255-mars-may-fight-fires-b-c.html)

Paragraph377
20th Jul 2015, 10:56
I wonder if the DH's at the Port A are charging them for parking, Roughly 75k per year. Money for jam that deal.

Desert Flower
20th Jul 2015, 13:54
The Belfast looks huge,

Watched one of them do a touch & go at YLEC many years ago - pretty darn impressive!

DF.