PDA

View Full Version : Aviation CV

Superfly
24th Jul 2001, 21:20
Sorry guys to ask the question again as I know that this subject has already been covered many times ( search facility doesn't seem to work at all ) but can anyone post some advice on how to make one. I do remember in another thread of an HTTP link about cv's that was brilliant. That would be so cool if someone could put it down here again. Many thanks, SF

Trislander
24th Jul 2001, 22:43
If you have Microsoft Word, Click File, New..., then under one of the tabs there is a Resume Wizard. Choose that and it will guide you thru step by step how put together a CV. You may want to change the format slightly to suit your needs. Highly Recommended.

Tri

------------------
http://www.aurigny.com/images.gb%20/trislander.jpg
"Ayline 221 airbourne"

Spoonbill
25th Jul 2001, 00:26
I agree withTrislander, but it's very important to make it short and sweet.
I was once in a position where I used to read CV's on a regular basis, and I assume that the very people you want to employ you will be in the same position.
Keep it plain, (no fancy artwork etc), and list your qualifications, experience and ambitions, in that order, and nothing else. Make it no more than two pages long, (this will take a lot of fine tuning, but it'll be worth it). Dont include referees names and addresses at this stage, unless requested to do so, it just takes up space.
Send a one page detailed, (but no more than three long paragraphs), covering letter, emphasising why you are the top dog for the job, and include a few saliant points about the company you are applying to, and relavant to the post, so that they know that you've bothered to find out something about them.
Personally, I always preferred to see the covering letter andthe CV typed using a PC, it makes it easier to read and to copy for use at any future interview. Besides which, if we wanted to see your handwriting, we'd ask you to fill in a short application form by hand.
One final, but(IMHO) very important point, use a good quality white paper for the letter and the CV, type in black ink, and sign it in black ink, (whatever you do, DO NOT use a computer generated signature - for the Readers Digest and people from the planet Nerd).
I know I've rambled on a bit, but first impressions are everything, and I've seen CV's lying unread in the bin because they don't come up to the above expectations.
Anyway, best of luck, and if there's anything else you need to know, feel free to email me.

Token Bird
25th Jul 2001, 12:14
Do I take it that it is no longer job application etiquette do send the CV typed but the covering letter handwritten, 'cos that was the case when I left University 3 years ago?

TB :confused:

Superfly
25th Jul 2001, 21:52
Trislander and Spoonbill,

thanks chaps for your help, Am taking good notice of it. By the way I've found the cool link :

http://www.jetcareers.com/resumes.htm

SF

Secret Squirrel
25th Jul 2001, 22:02
Superfly

Haven't mastered the art of links yet. The search function works fine on mine tho'. Anyway, try going back as far as Febuary when I did post something about it. The thread was called CV Tips

Regards SS

[ 25 July 2001: Message edited by: Secret Squirrel ]

Manflex55
26th Jul 2001, 00:54
Excellent description by Spoonbill. I would also add a PICTURE somewhere, so the HR dept knows U won't scare the PAX away. Be careful with the link mentionned above. This is typical american stuff & the way they handle CVs there is quite different from the european way.

MF

Superfly
26th Jul 2001, 02:44
Manreflex,

No I don't want to add my picture.I want to be evantually invited for an interview :D
I like the american CV as it goes straight to the point : qualifications and Hours which I believe are the first things a chief pilot is looking at, nevertherless I have a slight idea on how I'll customize it. Thanks again everyone for your inputs.

SF

Grandad Flyer
26th Jul 2001, 18:00
There are quite a few pitfalls with CVs for flying jobs. If you want to mail me a copy of your CV I'd be happy to advise you on it.
I would suggest keeping the CV to one page, and, having seen quite a few, there are lots of things to miss off. Things like what schools you attended and when, what grades you got in your school exams, the fact that you have one hour in a simulator. The fact that you have 0.5 hours in anything.
They just want to see -
Your name and contact info
Type of licence
Medical
Total hours
Hours on anything relevant you've flown (if you had 200 hours on a Kingair you'd put that in. If you have 35 hours in a Duchess you wouldn't).

The other stuff isn't really relevant, although if you've done anything interesting then it is worth putting that in, in somewhere like "Other interests". Perhaps if you've climbed Everest or competed in the last Olympics or something - might get you an interview.

GF

Genghis the Engineer
26th Jul 2001, 19:05
I'm recruiting at the moment, and am staggered by the variable quality of the CV's I get. If it helps, I recommend not doing the following: -

- Don't actually state when you worked wherever you worked.
- Print the CV at 10° to the paper.
- Don't include specific records asked for.
- Don't sign the letter.
- Don't Email it when you were specifically told to post it.
- Make the covering letter very chatty, as if you were best chums with the person reading it.
- Fill the first page with a photo of yourself.
- Don't bother to check the spelling.
- Just send a standard CV, nobody will be impressed by one tailored to the application.
- Use fancy fonts that make it hard to read.

All of which I've seen in the last month.

G

Superfly
26th Jul 2001, 20:03
Genghis the Engineer,

Really nice to know what's required from the other side ;)
Grandad I appreciate your help. My CV will shortly be in your INBOX !

SF