PDA

View Full Version : Approach Procedure Question - FABL VOR 20

perfe2x
13th Jul 2015, 21:44
Greetings Friends.

I'm a USA trained pilot, and that is where all my experience is, but I love learning about how business is conducted elsewhere. I've enjoyed lurking on your forum. I hope you can help me with a question.

I've been considering the VOR 20 approach to FABL.

(Not sure how to attach the chart:
http://www.caa.co.za/Aeronautical%20Charts/Bram%20Fischer%20INTL%20-%20FABL%20%28Bloemfontein%29/FABL_VOR%20RWY%2020_VOR-02%20dd%2011%20DEC%202014.pdf
)

From the chart it appears to me that the descent to the minimum altitude begins when inbound via the 026 radial and 8.0 DME from the BLV VOR.

If I were to approach the VOR from the east, say on a heading of 280 degrees, I would normally conduct what I know as a parallel entry by flying outbound on the 026 radial to 8.0 DME, then conducting a right turn back to the radial inbound.

If I did this, the entry maneuver would conclude well past the 8.0 DME fix where I should have started descending.

So what is the right way to enter this procedure from the east?

Is this a case where I would request maneuvering room to the south to get aligned and use the procedure turn? Should I just expect to fly an entire circuit after the entry concludes and then start descending when inbound again?

Thanks for sharing your expertise!

Eric Janson
14th Jul 2015, 02:17
Just keep it simple.

If you are coming in from the East - just treat it as joining a hold at 8000'

Continue inbound to the VOR inbound on the 026 radial maintaining 8000'

Start the approach after passing the VOR for the second time. Just make sure ATC is aware of what you are doing.

George Tower
14th Jul 2015, 06:29
If I were to approach the VOR from the east, say on a heading of 280 degrees, I would normally conduct what I know as a parallel entry by flying outbound on the 026 radial to 8.0 DME, then conducting a right turn back to the radial inbound.

Why 8.0 DME? Surely you would fly out bound on radial 026 for 1 minute which would give you a distance of approx 3nm unless you're flying an SR71.

perfe2x
14th Jul 2015, 13:20
George,
I had assumed that any turn inbound on an entry maneuver would begin at 8 DME because this is where the descent to the minimum altitude begins. So if I performed a teardrop entry, for example, I would be centering on R026 at just the same time as I should start descending from 6500'. Are the entries time-based regardless of the hold having distance-based legs?

Putting your input together with Eric's, it sounds as though I should expect to perform an entry at 8000', proceed inbound on R026 and cross the VOR at 8000', begin descending to 6500' after turning to heading 026 outbound, then begin descending to the minimum altitude after crossing 8.0 DME. Do I understand?

Is there no way other than the procedure turn to avoid flying an entire circuit around the hold? Am I correct in understanding that the procedure turn is only available when crossing the VOR on a heading of 356 to 056 (+/- 30 deg)?

Thanks again for your input!

galaxy flyer
15th Jul 2015, 03:26
Looks reasonably simple. If you arrive at the VOR on a track of 276 degrees clockwise to 026 degrees; accomplish a parallel entry outbound for 1 minute, turn opposite direction of the hold and fly back to the VOR. Crossing the VOR outbound on 026 heading, start the approach. You have to cross the VOR twice, regardless of approach track on the first crossing, unless you entry from the 60 degree cone either side of 026 degrees.

GF

Jefferson Airplane
20th Jul 2015, 18:49
This is a pretty simple and standard course reversal procedure for a VOR approach. Galaxy is correct in his description. Breaking it down into procedural steps:

1. Approaching from the east, heading 280 deg., cross the BLV at 8,000'
2. Using a parallel entry, fly outbound on the 026 radial for one minute
3. Turn right and return to the BLV, maintaining 8,000'
4. Over the BLV the second time, turn left onto the outbound heading 026 (correcting for wind), descending to 6,500'
5. At 8 DME make a level turn inbound at 6,500, intercept the 026 radial inbound and begin the descent to MDA at 8 DME. (You would have flown further than 8 DME during the turn)
6. Maintain 4,998' (I would make it 5,000') until you have the runway in sight, continue visually and land. If not, go-around at 2,9 DME BLV.

You would not need to fly the entire procedure if you approached the VOR within 30 degrees of the outbound heading (Note on the chart). In this case you could fly the Procedure Turn Approach - with ATC permission:

1. Cross the BLV at 8,000' and intercept the 026 radial outbound descending to 6,500'
2. Perform the procedure turn, first to the right (45 degrees) then passing 8 DME commence the left turn to intercept the 026 radial inbound
3. Once established on the radial, descend to MDA as above.

Hope this helps.

perfe2x
31st Jul 2015, 15:46
Well it looks as though I have some studying to do regarding course reversals with fixed leg lengths. I had assumed the entry would have fixed leg lengths (rather than be timed) as well. I need to spend some time with the AIM studying on holds again.

Thank you all for your answers...is there a document equivalent to the AIM that would describe typical procedures for operations in Africa?

Thank you again...I appreciate everyone's time!

galaxy flyer
31st Jul 2015, 17:05
PANS-OPS Document 8168 is what you need to learn from.

GF

perfe2x
31st Jul 2015, 18:10
Excellent...that's one I've already found.

Thanks for the tip!