PDA

View Full Version : A levels required 4 a pilot???

Speedbird19
24th Jul 2001, 19:09
I am 16 and am starting my A level courses this september. I hope to apply to British Airways when I am 18 or maybe after university. I am taking Business Studies, IT (Computers), Decision Maths and Geography. British Airways state that 2 core academic subjects are required at A level, do any of these subjects count...I know Maths and Geography does but does IT and Business Studies???

Lucifer
24th Jul 2001, 20:11
Yes as long as you don't have General Studies

foghorn
25th Jul 2001, 02:00
None really required, Physics and Maths are helpful for the ATPL exams....

FlyFreeWbe
25th Jul 2001, 20:01
I am 16 and am starting my A level courses this september too! I thought Geography, Math, Physics and Technology would do me fine :D Maybe we'll meet up as BA pilots :)
Best of luck (with A levels and GCSE results)

litkid_2000
25th Jul 2001, 20:13
Ive just left school, with A passes in A-level maths, english, physics, geography, computing, modern studies, art, and a pass at AS-Level (uni 1st year) Maths. Yes im a total geek who's life is FS2000. And a bit of Radiohead.

Ive been told i need a degree before BA will consider me. :(

Why are you not doin English? :eek: isnt that an essential? I have known people who were told to brush up on their english before they could be accepted by BA; infact they were sent to elocution lessons!

Would an artey subject not be adventagous? demonstrate your artistic flair? (design more tail logos!) :D

Good luck with the results and see you in the crew room one day!

Superpilot
25th Jul 2001, 20:35
http://www.stopstart.fsnet.co.uk/smilie/eek2.gif http://www.stopstart.fsnet.co.uk/smilie/moreek.gif

They’re definitely not taking you on sonny, your too damn clever for your own good http://www.stopstart.fsnet.co.uk/smilie/biggrin3.gif

...hang on, you can't call your Highers - "A' Levels". You can't compare them to A' Levels either, they are totally different to the Scottish Highers - why do you think most people only have 3? Tryin' to pull a fast one on us ;)

[ 25 July 2001: Message edited by: Superpilot ]

litkid_2000
25th Jul 2001, 21:12
ok, A-Levels are an ikkle bit longer, but not much!! The new Scottish "Advanced Higher" (which is the next step after higher)is more demanding than A-level.

A-level is in between Higher and Advanced Higher.

And most people have 3 A-levels? Oxbridge look for 5 A level passes. For the record, i declined an interview for oxford for the sheer hell of it!
:D

Anyway, GSCE=Standard Grade
Higher <mostly>=A-Level

There isnt that much of a gap!!!

Pandora
26th Jul 2001, 12:41
Litkid,

slow down a bit and enjoy life a bit more. You don't need a degree but the 3 years at university certainly help you have all those life-enriching experiences they want you to talk about at interview. A gap year would be just as good. As for the A-levels, don't compare apples with oranges. They are no the same thing.

Speedbird19, do whatever A-levels you want, just be good at them. BA require 2 at C or above. My highest grade was in Gen. Studies, but that never stopped me. :D

litkid_2000
26th Jul 2001, 17:53
I do have a life, really!!

I do chill out (on occasion!)

My Uni degree is 4 years (all degrees in Scotland are 4 years - please dont compare apples with oranges) :p

Realisticly though, would it unrealistic for a 17 year old fresh out of school to apply to the airlines. wasting my time? get some life experience.

I think i will get life experience. Do my degree. Finish it when im 21 - good age to apply!

Thanks for the help!

Sagey
26th Jul 2001, 18:26
Scottish degrees are 3 years if you took English A levels. (There are the oranges, and there are the apples).

Sagey

litkid_2000
26th Jul 2001, 20:00
All depends what A-Levels and how well you done in them.

Uni for three years in Scotland with highers if you do especially well and want to go straight into 2nd year.

There are Granny Smith and Golden Delicious :D