PDA

View Full Version : Regiment Friday.

Al R
10th Jul 2015, 09:41
Bugger. Still not got the hang of alliteration.

Union Jack
10th Jul 2015, 09:58
Regiment rogers Ruperts' routine?:)

Jack

Al R
10th Jul 2015, 10:06
The Regiment Rupert's Roger, Roger's just rolled a red Range Rover over over redemption.. erm, Friday. That's the bit which I can't get my head around. :mad:

Mahogany_Bomber
10th Jul 2015, 10:08
If you were prepared to wait until after the weekend we could perhaps indulge in Mudguard Monday.

Al R
10th Jul 2015, 10:23
<<likes>> :ok:

Martin the Martian
10th Jul 2015, 11:16
You could always try it in Scooby-Doo style:

Regiment 'Riday

I know. Hat, coat etc.

gr4techie
10th Jul 2015, 11:31
We could have a Jonathan Ross style
"Regiment Wrrrednesday".

Tashengurt
10th Jul 2015, 11:44
Wockape wednesday even?

BATCO
10th Jul 2015, 12:36
For me Regiment Friday means

Squadron tab,
Clean/account for weapons, vehicles
Clean hangar
Walk round with Sqn WO
Knock troops off
Study period for officers
Happy hour

Batco
Remembering happy days

Fox3WheresMyBanana
10th Jul 2015, 12:41
Just change the name of Friday to Rockday worldwide, it'll be far easier than trying to explain alliteration to Rockapes ;)

Al R
10th Jul 2015, 15:08
You impudent ba.. ba.. banana.

CoffmanStarter
10th Jul 2015, 15:14
Banter aside ... Well done TQCS at Buck House today :D:D:D:D

Wander00
10th Jul 2015, 16:23
But a pity BBC did not show them on film in the 1pm news

MPN11
10th Jul 2015, 16:52
Wockape wednesday even?

Gets my vote, if it doesn't offend the Wocks too much ;)

kintyred
10th Jul 2015, 19:19
Wegiment Fwiday?

Finnpog
10th Jul 2015, 19:25
TacEval / Tactical Tuesday?

Thunderflash Thursday?

ValMORNA
10th Jul 2015, 20:18
Wockape Weekend?

Chugalug2
10th Jul 2015, 23:12
Wander00:-
But a pity BBC did not show them on film in the 1pm news 10th Jul 2015 16:14Streamed, so no BBC licence needed!

Well done the Rocks! "This 'ere is the Counter Geiger Mark Five, which is operated by rotating the On/Off Switch from Off to On, thus!":-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KIBuli6w10I

Union Jack
10th Jul 2015, 23:28
Well done the Rocks indeed, and the Central Band, and of course whoever took the trouble to film and post this excellent record of the occasion.:ok:

VMT Chugalug2 for posting.:ok:

Jack

air pig
11th Jul 2015, 01:14
Remember a Rockape's woman was a Monkey wench.

Wander00
11th Jul 2015, 07:47
They showed a bit on the 6pm news - looked VERY good. Well done the Regiment and TQCS

Tankertrashnav
11th Jul 2015, 09:28
Well done QCS! The band was a combination of The Central Band of the RAF and The RAF Regiment Band. Excellent music as always. I'm a bit out of touch, but I notice that the musicians were not wearing those very silly hats which came in some years back. Is this a permanent change? If so, thank goodness!

Notice Prince Edward's RAF uniform had one of its rare outings - strong smell of mothballs on the balcony!

air pig - Mrs TTN would like a word with you!

ian16th
11th Jul 2015, 09:55
I notice that the musicians were not wearing those very silly hats which came in some years back. Is this a permanent change? If so, thank goodness!

Got to agree with that.

BATCO
11th Jul 2015, 10:20
Whether the previous hat was good or bad, the current one is undistinguished.

In fact, in my opinion, even though QCS and our bands (and others when required) make a great effort in their turn out, our parade uniform is poor.

Given that this is a rumour-based forum, I'd go as far as to believe it highly likely that Prince William did not wear his RAF uniform to his wedding because it is, well, it is bland.

As the 100th approaches something more distinguished is required.

Batco

Chugalug2
11th Jul 2015, 10:56
With great respect BATCO, I disagree. There was a thread here some time ago that illustrated the last time the RAF tried something "more distinguished" between the wars. The full dress uniform looked like something out of a Marx Brothers comedy. Much better to retain the continuity of the same uniform, as occasionally modified over the years. That after all is what our sister Services do, and thus retain their immediate recognition by the GBP.

Union Jack:-
...whoever took the trouble to film and post this excellent record of the occasionAn excellent and prolific purveyor of London ceremonial, troopingadmin can be subscribed to here:-
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCtDqMgKSthWzM8u6Hr8HVvw

BATCO
11th Jul 2015, 11:40
Happy to accept that we disagree. I was not proposing a return to the interwar Dress Uniform. There are plenty of modest changes that could be made that retain the roots you note as important (and suit the British character) while improving on what we have got.

But we disagree.
Batco

Chugalug2
12th Jul 2015, 12:44
Ah, my misunderstanding. Evolution rather than revolution every time, which puts us into violent agreement I'm delighted to say, BATCO.

Arguably even better coverage of the two RAF bands and the RAF Regiment's triumphal day seen here. Incidently it illustrates well that the RAF March can be played for both slow and quick time:-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h0i2WtW-OFw

Wander00
12th Jul 2015, 14:04
Anyone know if there is a film from inside the courtyard, and incidentally which squadron Standards - I guess must be BoB Squadrons, or existing fighter squadrons but which? Brilliant event and, again, well done TQCS and the Bands

Chugalug2
12th Jul 2015, 15:04
The official Royal Air Force account states that:-
The ceremony also involved ten Standards ...of Battle of Britain squadrons still serving in the RAF today (see Notes to Editors), although I'm not sure that Stradling would have recognised its description of the Standards being:-
military flags carried on polesperhaps it was to differentiate them from the bosses' cars.

No idea which ten of the RAF BoB Squadrons still serve, nor in what context. We should simply be grateful that they do, I guess.

http://www.raf.mod.uk/news/archive/raf-marks-battle-of-britain-75th-anniversary-10072015

Shack37
12th Jul 2015, 15:51
Notice Prince Edward's RAF uniform had one of its rare outings - strong smell of mothballs on the balcony!

He also wore it when that f**king photo was taken.

Excellent performance by TQCS and bands.

Kitbag
12th Jul 2015, 16:55
Of the 71 Sqns credited with service in the BoB Sqns these are the only ones still extant today:

32 The Royal Squadron
54 (my old stamping ground and an excellent Jag sqn)

401 RCAF

Not a lot left really.

Edit. I apologise to the Auxilliary squadrons, although not flying units currently

Tankertrashnav
12th Jul 2015, 17:32
military flags carried on poles

As at least one of our number can confirm, I have to plead guilty of doing just that. When I was at Kai Tak in 1968, the station commander, who liked to style himself "Commander RAF Hong Kong" decided that our participation in the annual Queens Birthday Parade was going to be a let down, as both the RN and Army contingents were going to parade colours, and we had none to parade as at that time there was no squadron on the station strength. He therefore ordered that a "standard" be prepared by painting a pole white, decorating it with some tassled cords brought from a shop in Kowloon, and attaching an RAF Ensign. My sergeant and I duly trained up a "colour party" and we paraded this illegal banner on the day at HMS Tamar. However it must have convinced the governor, standing in for HM, as he saluted it on passing it when inspecting the parade.

ian16th
13th Jul 2015, 08:14
TTN

Wasn't there an RAFA Branch in Honkers?

It is odd that RAF Stations do not have their own standard, but Veterans organisations can get them by applying.

The RAF Boy Entrants Association applied and received one.

Tankertrashnav
13th Jul 2015, 08:35
Dont know if there was a RAFA branch Iain, but I dont think anyone thought about that one.

teeteringhead
13th Jul 2015, 09:36
Ceremonial Dress was good enough for George VI's wedding to the Queen Mum (Gawd Bless 'er)

https://bathknight.files.wordpress.com/2011/04/queen-mother-wedding1.jpg?w=245&h=300

So ditch the hat, but maybe the rest would still work?

OK, I know it was the Duke of York's Wedding to Lady Elizabeth Bowes-Lyon, but you knew what I meant!

Flight_Idle
13th Jul 2015, 16:47
I haven't seen the parade referred to in the OP, but always think the wearing of the 'Chin straps' on head wear looks a bit naff. Far better looking without them in my opinion.

ian16th
13th Jul 2015, 17:34
'Chin straps' on head wear looks a bit naff.Not as naff as a bare head with the hat bowling down the road.

MPN11
13th Jul 2015, 18:40
I regretted the abandonment of the gold lace stripe down the trouser seam for No 5 dress ... one stripe for the lower orders, and 2 for Air Officers, IIRC.

Expensive [given the curse of the expanding waistline] but it was a nice feature.

Tankertrashnav
13th Jul 2015, 22:00
There was a chap at Catterick who was still insisting on wearing his mess "overalls" as I believe they were called, even though they had officially gone out by then (1965). I thought they looked the business, very tight, with the elasticated foot straps to stop them riding up, and worn with patent leather ankle boots, as opposed to shoes.

This chap was tall and slim - they probably wouldn't have looked so good on a portly AVM!

MPN11
14th Jul 2015, 08:47
TTN, I had a new pair of RAF Mess Dress Trousers/Overalls [minus the elastic] made by Messrs Moss in Covent Garden. I requested a 14" hem on them. The patronising drone with the tape measure said, "Sir - one can only wear them that narrow when wearing proper Mess boots." "I do." "Ahhh ... "

Lovely full-length boots in German chrome leather, made to measure in Singapore in '68 for the princely sum of £6. They're still going strong. Sadly, the waistband on the trousers has shrunk a bit.

Tankertrashnav
14th Jul 2015, 09:59
Sadly, the waistband on the trousers has shrunk a bit.

Funnily enough the same thing has happened to the very cool white DJ I had made in a tailor's in Jalan Kayu around the same time.

There must have been some shoddy material around in Singapore at the time :(

jimf671
15th Jul 2015, 19:21
As soon as the white belt, white gloves and sashes come out then so should a smarter piece of headgear.

(Maybe if they stopped spending thousands of pounds shifting a small number of thirty bob white gloves and belts around the country every time there is a parade then they could afford a dress hat.) :ugh:

Courtney Mil
15th Jul 2015, 21:31
Why not "Field Squadron Friday"?

air pig
15th Jul 2015, 21:48
TTN, that comment about a ladies description was relayed to me from an ex Rock.

Batco, Prince William wanted to wear his RAF uniform but he was instructed by management higher than the CAS as that he had that day became the Regimental Colonel of the ?Irish Guards he was wearing their uniform. As you know when the management at that level makes Her wishes known, then there is no option.

sittingstress
15th Jul 2015, 23:12
"Mudguard Monday" does it for me,

Long gone memories of Monday morning parades suffering from the effects of the previous 3 nights and 2 days partying, lunch followed by a kip in the cam net bay, dinner, post week-end block clean-up/repair, shower, nap and BOOM straight back on it again! :)

Bruggen in the mid 80's sighhhhh!

BATCO
16th Jul 2015, 03:17
Air P

I didn't rumour that Prince William decided for himself, merely commenting that the reason for not wearing RAF uniform was that it is bland. Perhaps that is the view of 'higher management'.

For the record he did not become Colonel of the Irish Guards Regt 'that day', but on 10 Feb 2011 (wedded 29 April).

His father and uncles all managed to get married wearing the uniform of their then current Service and rank despite holding higher honorary ranks.

Regards
Batco

Al R
16th Jul 2015, 06:49
Courtney,

Might that not be discriminatory to our TG8 mudguarded air defence brethren.. a wrongdoing surely close to your heart?

SS,

Ahh, cam net checks.. ;)

Lima Juliet
16th Jul 2015, 08:01
Here you go, this is the current RAF Bandsman's Ceremonial Dress:

http://www.raf.mod.uk/rafmusic/rafcms/mediafiles/D93F45A2_5056_A318_A86B3EBCE4EF28E4.jpg

It comes complete with George Boots.

LJ

Tankertrashnav
16th Jul 2015, 08:57
Well personally I think that's very smart, and just "fancy" enough without going over the top. I like the hat, much better than the busby, or "very silly hat" as I described it.

Point of pedantry L-J, the RAF has musicians, not bandsmen (but the WOs are "bandmasters" !)

I was only teasing Air Pig ;)

ian16th
16th Jul 2015, 09:42
Point of pedantry L-J, the RAF has musicians, not bandsmen (but the WOs are "bandmasters" !)The few remaining volunteer 'Station Bands', anyone know if these guys have any title? And do they wear a badge?

CoffmanStarter
16th Jul 2015, 10:02
My 81 year old Father-in-Law recently said he thought the new RAF Band uniform very smart indeed ... But not as smart as the Royal Marines ...

But that was to be expected as he was a Royal Marine WO2 Bandmaster (Royal Yacht Britannia) ;)

BATCO
16th Jul 2015, 10:18
Al R

Mudguarded GBAD brethren are now very few and certainly out of date having been forced to cede this capability to the British Army.

Although I reckon they would still give 16 Regt RA a hard run at a 'CatBoard'.

On uniforms (again), we're now in No6, 7 and 8 season here.

Batco

Wander00
16th Jul 2015, 15:41
ISTR that non (music) professional members of Voluntary Bands are indeed "Bandsmen", probably "Bandspeople" nowadays

MPN11
16th Jul 2015, 19:44
ISTR that non (music) professional members of Voluntary Bands are indeed "Bandsmen", probably "Bandspeople" nowadays

Some of them seem very small, so without close inspection you are probably right :)

BATCO
24th Jul 2015, 13:02
Back to Regiment Friday/vendredi de Commando de l'air
http://www.raf.mod.uk/rafregiment/rafcms/mediafiles/D87F8404_5056_A318_A8450A1F3B290877.jpg

Regards/cordialement
Batco

Finnpog
24th Jul 2015, 14:11
@BATCO - The Gaul with the beard, the shades and the 36 looks very 'ally', to paraphrase Arrse.

Perfidious Frenchies - treating a war zone as a fashion show :ok::E

Tankertrashnav
25th Jul 2015, 08:30
It occurred to me that ex RAF Regiment members might like to receive periodic updates of what's happening in the corps, such as recent honours and awards, forthcoming reunions and other events, obituaries etc.

You can get these by contacting the regimental secretary at [email protected] and asking to be put on the mailing list for the Corps Parish Notice.

barnstormer1968
25th Jul 2015, 17:57
Finnpog

With regards to ally ness the Rock in the pic would do well over on ARRSE in the search for an un ally star thread.

He seems to need three mudguards to know who he is and is holding his weapon in a 'carry' that makes quick and accurate aiming impossible. You'd think the MOD could fit a special forward grip to make carrying the weapon easier, but also being able to raise and fire quickly.........oh, hang on, they did. :)

Al R
25th Jul 2015, 18:25
Got it.. are the same radio appointment call-signs used today that I remember?

If so, Fireguard Friday. Job jobbed. :cool: