PDA

View Full Version : Excel Airways flight codes

Number Cruncher
13th Jun 2002, 14:29
Can anyone out there enlighten me as to why Excel Airways uses the flight code JN on flights to Malta, whereas XLA is used on flights to all other destinations???

:confused:

fokker70
13th Jun 2002, 15:51
Might be bacause Malta cannot handle the 3 letter codes on the arrival/departure boards ?? :confused:

GrahamK
13th Jun 2002, 17:02
Arent the JN codes used to indicate Excel scheduled flights?

Wing Commander Fowler
13th Jun 2002, 17:22
Indeed......

Capt Veeclean
14th Jun 2002, 15:20
Isn't Excel a LGW based charter airline? Didn't know it had any scheduled services, unless it's doing subs for someone. BTW, JN is the airline code for Rich International, in the USA. There is also an Air Excel in Holland, I think, but I don't know its airline code.

Airways Ed
14th Jun 2002, 17:06
Poor Rich Intl, long gone.

leonbrumsack
17th Jun 2002, 17:28
The JN codes are for scheduled flights which Execl operate themselves, not on behalf of others. It's like Air 2000 operate their scheduled flights to Cyprus using their DP code, and the Monarch scheduled services which use code ZB. The three-letter XLA code is used for the charter flights.

GrahamK
17th Jun 2002, 18:41
I believe Excel's only scheduled flights are to Malta from LGW,BHX and MAN.

Number Cruncher
17th Jun 2002, 20:06
Cheers guys.

Very helpful stuff. That was my initial suspicion, however, just seems kinda strange that they choose to operate a schedule service to a destination such as Malta rather than the usual more popular ones like Malaga, Palma, Tenerife etc....

ops kid
22nd Jun 2002, 14:11
Number Cruncher: I'd guess that the Malta flights are scheduled because of regulatory, rather than commercial, reasons.

Malta is non-EEA so there is probably a limit of 15% on seat-only sales for charter flights. Whereas, if a charter airline designates its flights scheduled, they can obviously carry as many seat-only passengers as they like.

There isn’t actually that much point in making flights to AGP, PMI or TFS into scheduled because they’re inside the EEA so scheduled/charter really doesn’t make much difference. (Except that being scheduled can get flights in the OAG and on the CRSs - see the thread on Air 2000’s scheduled flights at thread (http://www.pprune.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=57335) )