PDA

View Full Version : Virgin Broad band gone so slow on wi-fi

magpienja
7th Jul 2015, 22:36
Had to switch back the an Ethernet cable connection which is super fast...its a desktop PC running win7.

But why should the wi fi connection to the PC have gone so paifully slow like that...it used to be very good on the wi connection...the PC is next to the virgin router.

Nick.

Ancient Observer
8th Jul 2015, 11:33
My router/modem sometimes appears to slow down. I unplug the router's power, have a cup of tea, and plug it back in again. I also turn off the destination device. And turn it back on. I think it is called IT 101. A less dramatic suggestion from Mr Google is simply to reset it. I find unplugging normally works.

However, lots of bits in the world of IT are just unknown. I was moving stuff around on the daughter's android phone the other day. Cable connected. There were gigabytes of photos. It seemed slow. I put in a newer and less used cable, and it tripled the speed. Wierd. A cable is a cable, innit?

BEagle
8th Jul 2015, 13:48
Which Virgin Hub are you using?

If you have a Dual Concurrent 2.4/5 GHz SuperHub2 and can switch your PC to a 5 GHz connection, that might improve matters. Virgin also suggest (for the SuperHub2):

Your Super Hub transmits a radio signal on a particular wireless channel within the 2.4GHz band. If another nearby wireless device (for example, your neighbours’ wireless network) is transmitting on the same channel, the two devices could be fighting it out for the airwaves.
By rebooting your router it will automatically pick the least congested channel, so it’s a good idea to do this every now and again just in case a new wireless device is competing for the airwaves in your neighbourhood.

magpienja
8th Jul 2015, 17:32
Mmmm so to reboot is it just a matter of unplugging the super hub from the mains for a few mins.

Just tried a speed test...wifi 3 mbps Ethernet 21.1 mbps.

Keef
8th Jul 2015, 22:51
Reboot is just switch off and on again, unless you do it via the router control panel. You don't need to wait between off and on.

If it used to be fast, and is now unreliable, it's possible someone nearby has a new WiFi which has landed on the same channel as yours. If you have a mobile device that will tell you the channel number, you can check. If necessary, access the router control panel and move it to a different channel.

Sadly Apple won't allow their users to see which channel a WiFi is on, but most other devices can display channel, or download software that will do so.

Edit: on the same channel, or within 2 - 3 channels either side is bad news. The usual 3 channels round here are 1, 6, and 13.

magpienja
8th Jul 2015, 23:05
Thanks...I will try that and report back....

jimjim1
9th Jul 2015, 03:13
It is probably the fuses, you need some of these.

HiFi Tuning Gold Fuses (http://www.mains-cables-r-us.co.uk/fuses/27-hi-fi-tuning-uk-gold-fuses.html)

IBMJunkman
9th Jul 2015, 03:48
Here I thought the thread was about unsullied women in a musical group. :)

BEagle
9th Jul 2015, 06:44
Are you connecting to the 5 GHz network? Depending on the type of computer, one or two Virgin Broadband WiFi networks should be shown in your list of networks and will be something like VM123456-2G and/or VM123456-5G. Connect to the -5G network for best results.

To reboot, Virgin recommends that you turn everything off and wait for 60 seconds. Then turn on the Super Hub; wait another 60 seconds, then turn on the computer.

21.1 Mbps seems a bit slow for Virgin SuperFast Broadband - their lowest fibre optic product is 'up to' 50 Mbps - I rarely see less than 53 Mbps via WiFi.

TWT
9th Jul 2015, 08:03
It is probably the fuses, you need some of these.

HiFi Tuning Gold Fuses (http://www.mains-cables-r-us.co.uk/fuses/27-hi-fi-tuning-uk-gold-fuses.html)

Love it :ok: