PDA

View Full Version : I do Wannabe

Simon Young
24th Jul 2001, 18:03
Seen this site today, and well impressed !

I'm 27, graduated 4 years ago, have a very good, well payed job, but want to become a pilot.

The BA Grad scheme states you have to be 26 or younger.

How else can I get sponsored? If so by whom?
Or what are my chances with someone like BA?
What other recommended schemes are there.

any help would be great
Thanks

NewBloke
24th Jul 2001, 18:36
Hello..... gotta make it quick cos the boss is lurking ! I believe BMI's sponsorship scheme has an upper age limit of 28 which sometimes goes up to 32 I think !?!? (I'm sure someone will put me right if I have remembered this incorrectly) - so you haven't lost all hope of getting sponsored. I'm not too sure how much you know - but, unlike BA, most other schemes are part-sponsorship, which essentially means that you are required to pay a substantial amout of cash towards the training as well as the airline. Depending on the scheme, this can range from about £14K to £32. These schemes seem to prefer (although not necessary) at least a few hours in a light aircraft before commiting their cash so it may be worthwhile to get a few hours under your belt. Airlines that seem to frequently offer sponsorship schemes include Air2000, BEA, BA, and BMI... just keep an eye out on here or in the aviation press (eg..Flight International). Other schemes require a PPL and a set amount of hours. Hope I've helped a little... really must go now... he's a tyrant.

NB :)

P.S Good luck...