PDA

View Full Version : Rego markings draft

Squawk7700
6th Jul 2015, 23:30
I stumbled across this....

http://www.casa.gov.au/wcmswr/_assets/main/newrules/download/cd0712ms-spc-draft-part45-mos-instrument.pdf

Am I right to think that it looks like under-wing markings are now mandatory and experimental rego letters only need to be 75mm now? Otherwise no significant changes?

Snakecharma
7th Jul 2015, 00:02
Is "as nearly as possible" proper English? It doesn't read well. Perhaps "as close as possible..."

Squawk7700
7th Jul 2015, 00:07
Amen to that...

http://members.iinet.net.au/~bc_j400/nearly.jpg

thunderbird five
7th Jul 2015, 01:02
Experimental (Amateur Built) has always been 75mm (for the majority of aircraft). Underwing has always been required (except when exempted!)

So it looks like we are heading for yet another document on registrations when there is already the regs, and ACs, and exemptions, and probably a CAAP as well. Awesome!

And registration marks are a SAFETY regulation? (CASR) What The.....

Squawk7700
7th Jul 2015, 01:11
I feel much safer when flying my aircraft knowing that there are 150mm sticky vinyl letters stuck on the side of my aircraft's fuselage :)

The "safety" aspect is a little loose but I guess think about a control tower, eg Moorabbin for example, if the tower can clearly see your rego, they might be able to quickly see it and call you when danger is imminent. Otherwise it's just "the high wing Cessna on taxiway bravo" call. But... this is completely negated by 75mm letters as you need the hubble telescope to read them from the control tower :confused:

tipsy2
7th Jul 2015, 02:36
So called "Safety Regulations" such as this contribute to my safe flight about as much as the requirement to have my licence in my pocket does.

Reminds me of the AWI clown that demanded I place a Remove Before Flight placard on the inside of the canopy cover on my Airtourer.

The lunatics are seemingly in charge of the asylum.

Tipsy

roundsounds
7th Jul 2015, 02:49
The only Safety case I can think of would be the impact on "plastic" airframes. The dark lettering creating possible failure areas. The Type Certificate for early model Jabirus prohibit stripes or logos of any type and only outline for regos for this reason.

jas24zzk
7th Jul 2015, 12:12
Not sure if its changed, but gliders had an exemption that allowed them to omit the first letter of the rego..

I.e my favourite bus (being my first Single Seater) only carried the letters IF. Full rego was VH-GIF
I later flew VH-XOC and XOB.. they also only carried the last two letters as identifiers.

It was extremely unsafe by todays standards, but i survived.

I've said it before, and i will say it again, until the industry stands up as one against this muppetry, the doom will continue to increase.

triadic
7th Jul 2015, 12:50
Sadly I believe the strings are still being pulled by people higher up that see aviation as high risk, and seem not to understand that risk can be managed to acceptable levels in most of the cases we are talking about. There are at least two other Departments that have significant influence over CASA. I would be looking there.

This is not about safety, but about REGULATION.

One has to remember that you can be 100% conplient and not be 100% safe.

It is, or should be about risk management with appropriate safety cases behind every rule. Not a means of protecting CASA in court!

AbsoluteFokker
7th Jul 2015, 17:24
Forget the regs:

As big as you can possibly make the letters excluding the control surfaces in font <Junior-School-Understood-Capital-Letter-Font>.

Same standard applies for under-wing versus tail.

Won't do that? Install ADSB!!!!!!!!

LeadSled
8th Jul 2015, 14:32
Folks,
Currently, there is a standing exemption (legislative instrument) for underwing rego. for VH- aircraft, we have had it for years, has this been incorporated in the draft reg?
I haven't had time to look.
Tootle pip!!