PDA

View Full Version : Itavia Herald 1971

MrNosy
13th Jun 2002, 10:46
In about April 1971 an Aerolinee Itavia HP Herald I-TIVE was damaged, possibly at Rome. The aircraft was not a Total Loss but was apparently never repaired after what ever it was that happened. Can any one out there through any light on this event. When, where, what etc.

treadigraph
13th Jun 2002, 12:20
Tiny bit more info on this link:

http://aviation-safety.net/database/1971/710499-0.htm

Cheers

Julian

MrNosy
14th Jun 2002, 08:24
Thanks treadigraph. Aviation Safety Network says it was a 'landing accident' at Rome Ciampino but gives no other details - can anyone provide the circumstances of the accident.

Nopax,thanx
14th Jun 2002, 10:22
Yeah, it's an odd 'un....had a look through my books last night and all it said was 'Written off April '71 at Rome, scrapped 1974' - much less info than usual. Presumably the RAI have full details, but I've no idea of how to ask 'em.....anyone know?

treadigraph
14th Jun 2002, 11:22
Friend of mine may have a Herald monograph (I think Air Britain did one), so will look it out and see what it says. Seem to recall that the wings were stored at Eastleigh in 1980, remember seeing an I-TIV? pair in a hangar (BIA's?) around then.

Biggles Flies Undone
14th Jun 2002, 11:29
Maybe the ‘used for spares’ in the aviation safety network report explains why it didn’t fly again.

If you do find out anything else, these guys would probably appreciate an update:

http://www.propnet.free-online.co.uk/hplist.htm

MrNosy
14th Jun 2002, 12:29
Just got our copy of the 1972 Lloyd's Confi. out of our archives.

The Blue Book gives the date of loss as November 4, 1970 not April 1971 (no loss for this aircraft is shown for 1971). It also adds a little bit more - the accident was during 'training' and 'engine failure' is given as a 'cause.'

Still like to know the full circumstances.

I've always found the RAI very helpful - if you can speak to them in Italian! - whenever i've had an Italian speaking member of staff, we've had the RAI's cooperation. When i've spoken/contacted them in English nothing seems to happen.