PDA

View Full Version : C:\documents and settings - access

Ancient Observer
5th Jul 2015, 14:55
My win 7 pc has been experiencing some worrying signs of age. Nothing dramatic yet, but it is a little worrying. So I have re-done yet another back up of everything. The most important things here are pictures, which I have backed up to 3 different places, (one a cloudy thing), and my e-mails. However, despite some time following the m/s advice, I cannot access C:\documents and settings. I think I've gone from trusted installer as being the only one who can get in, to my admin account, but when I try to access C:\d & s I still can't. Is there an idiot proof place somewhere on the web where I can find out how to do it? thanks AO

Eventually, I got in to docs and settings. Maybe taking time off from the pc for a walk around the garden helped. However, I can't find those pst files anywhere. They aren't where M/S says they should be, (MS says look in drive:\Users\\Documents\Outlook Files), and they aren't in docs and settings. The search function doesn't provide them, and all files are shown. i.e. I have checked the show all files box. Where's that blooming programme put them? Another walk called for.

Don Coyote
5th Jul 2015, 15:51
You could try exporting the .pst file to a different location, you could then import the .pst file if you had to reload windows.

Ancient Observer
5th Jul 2015, 15:51
Walk round garden no. 2.

As nothing from the pc end told me where to look, eventually I went to the Outlook end.
File/Data file management got me there. Once there I could open the file.
Right now I hate the pc, so I'll do the back up manana. Or avrio.

Saab Dastard
5th Jul 2015, 16:34
Win 7 is not XP.

The location for user files is C:\Users in Windows 7.

Documents & Settings is still there for legacy purposes, for systems access only.

Finding the default location for Outlook files is a simple Google lookup: https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Locating-the-Outlook-data-files-0996ece3-57c6-49bc-977b-0d1892e2aacc

As you have already found, an alternative is to go into Outlook settings and see where it is set to store the PST(s).