PDA

View Full Version : Degree from B1/B2 licences?

Kengineer-130
4th Jul 2015, 12:20
I currently hold an EASA B1 & B2 licence, and did an apprenticeship with a Btec, NVQ etc & numerous other certificates etc. Just wondering if there is a top up or shortish way to get a degree from my current qualifications, and who would provide such a course? Not hugely bothered about it to be honest, but if there is a relatively easy way to do it then an extra few letters wouldn't hurt! :}

Genghis the Engineer
4th Jul 2015, 17:38
Firstly, don't underestimate the jump from the essentially skill based course which is an engineers licence, and the far more analytical (but less skill based) course which is an engineering degree. It's not so much a difference of higher/lower standards, as very different learning styles needed.

Secondly, yes, there are several universities offering part-way entry for licenced engineers into degree courses.

Here is one quite well regarded course, but there are others.

Aircraft Engineering BSc(Hons) top-up - 2015 and 2016 entry course - London undergraduate courses - Kingston University London (http://www.kingston.ac.uk/undergraduate-course/aircraft-engineering-bsc-top-up/)

Off the top of my head, Hatfield, UWE, Perth / UHI might offer alternative courses, but I've not checked.

Typically you're looking towards a year of full time study (or part time equivalence) to go from where you are to a degree.

G

LME (GOD)
4th Jul 2015, 19:02
Just completed the top-up at Kingston. Ghengis is correct, it's very different from the B1/2 path especially the maths. There are 4 modules to complete, Aerospace Tech (pure maths), a group project, individual project and airline economics. It takes a minimum of two years, but you can leave it over 5 years. Beware of the price, they've put a huge price rise in last year so make sure it's something you really want to do as it's not cheap. PM me if you want any more details.

easaman
8th Jul 2015, 13:25
When you are showing the syllbus for the A&P or EASA part 66 licence, you may get college points for the part 66 licence and additional points for type ratings.
I had undergone such an evaluation when I was young and pretty :)
This is a good short cut for a college degree...
Cheers
easaman

easaman
9th Jul 2015, 17:57
I have added here some detailed information about
EASA part 66 or A&P to College Degree (http://easa66.info/course/view.php?id=107)

woptb
10th Jul 2015, 13:03
London City have a number of part time masters degrees ,which your B1/B2 tickets give you access to.Interesting and 'saleable' e.g. Aviation safety management. Personally I find the theory side of our job a little dull,coupled with low pay made the masters a better path for me.