PDA

View Full Version : GTN750 & Traffic

RadioSaigon
3rd Jul 2015, 08:28
My boss is shouting me a new (old) toy... it's not equipped with GNSS, so it gets a GTN750. Traffic is enough of an issue here that I'd really like to have TCAS/TIS-A, -B, whatever added at installation.

There's the problem. I've read info until my brain has about melted, but can't make arse or elbow of just what bang I might get for my buck with the various options available.

We operate in Papua, Indonesia. There is no ADSB ground support. Nor is there likely to be in the foreseeable future. Most aircraft are equipped with capable transponders. Some of them are even turned on. I'd like to be able to access what info there is available on the GTN.

I just need someone to help me sort the apples from the oranges...

RatsoreA
3rd Jul 2015, 09:01
2 options.

Garmin GTS-8/00/25/55, starts at $20k AUD and goes up from there. A full TCAS solution. Very expensive.

Other option, Garmin GDL 88. Can get 1090 and 978UAT from either ground stations or directly from other aircrafts transponders and. Does 95% of what TCAS does.

Price? $4-5k for the unit. Install may vary. I know which one I will be choosing.

Jabawocky
3rd Jul 2015, 12:56
The GDL will only pick up ADSB not Mode C, so I assume you are going the TCAS option ratso?

Hope you are going well bloke :ok:

RatsoreA
3rd Jul 2015, 13:30
Living the dream mate! Up flying around the Pilbara at the moment. But, yes, you're 100% correct, the GDL88 only gets ADSB, but that's ok, soon won't every single airplane in the air have ADSB?! :-P

And unless I find $34k in loose change down the back of the couch, I'll probably just get the GDL88 and hope everyone is like you and gets ADSB out in their machines!

Jabawocky
4th Jul 2015, 12:18
You and me is rare :ok:

swh
4th Jul 2015, 13:18
The Avidyne TAS600 series should get you Mode A/C/ADSB onto a the 750.

http://www.avidyne.com/publications/traffic/600-00145-000-TAS6XX-poh.pdf