PDA

View Full Version : Bali Flts. CX due Volcanic Ash - ABC News

RodH
2nd Jul 2015, 22:03
Jetstar cancels Bali flights due to Mt Raung volcanic ash cloud heading for Denpasar

Updated 19 minutes agoFri 3 Jul 2015, 7:41am

Map: Bali (http://maps.google.com/?q=-8.409518,115.188916(Bali)&z=5)

Jetstar has cancelled flights in and out of Bali as an ash cloud from a volcanic eruption in Indonesia drifts towards Denpasar International Airport.
Return flights to and from Cairns, Perth, Melbourne and Sydney, and one way flights to and from Singapore, Adelaide and Darwin are affected.
In a statement on its website, the airline said passengers on rescheduled or cancelled flights (http://www.jetstar.com/au/en/travel-alerts) would be notified by Jetstar or their travel agent directly and provided with options to fly on alternative services.
Overnight, two Jetstar flights were turned back three hours into their journey.
The airline is planning to issue an update once it is daylight in Indonesia.
The ABC believes that Qantas staff in Darwin are preparing to announce delays.
There are no disruption notices from other airlines including Virgin Australia, AirAsia X and Garuda, which are continuing to fly at this stage.
Mt Raung, on nearby Java, erupted on Sunday, with airline pilots reporting ash at 3,500 metres.

SixDemonBag
2nd Jul 2015, 22:21
2 many abv. in title dude

RodH
2nd Jul 2015, 22:40
I think the story is more important than the grammar. Not worth worrying about!!!

TWT
2nd Jul 2015, 23:11
2 many abv. in title dude

Irony.Look it up :p

training wheels
3rd Jul 2015, 01:23
I used to fly past Mt Raung when doing the Surabaya to Bali run. Here it is back in 2012 when it was smoking. We're at FL150 if I remember correctly. Mt Raung peaks at about 11,000 ft.

http://i.imgur.com/omkV7yK.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/5hG9J43.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/QTYxlbT.jpg

RodH
3rd Jul 2015, 01:34
Quite impressive and great photos. It must look incredible when it erupts it's ash cloud.
Strange that Jetstar have CX flights but VA have not , at least not yet .
I hope that's not too many abbreviations for some people!!!

RodH
3rd Jul 2015, 01:39
How quickly things change.
Jetstar have now resumed flights.

catseye
3rd Jul 2015, 09:14
Received FVAU0405 at 06:34 UTC, 03/07/15 from ADRM
VA ADVISORY
DTG: 20150703/0633Z
VAAC: Darwin

VOLCANO: Raung 263340
PSN: S0807 E11402
AREA: Indonesia
SUMMIT ELEV: 3332M

ADVISORY NR: 2015/12
INFO SOURCE: MODIS-TERRA, MTSAT, CVGHM, PIREP
AVIATION COLOUR CODE: ORANGE
ERUPTION DETAILS: VA OBS AT 03/0532Z 15NM TO SE TO FL150.

OBS VA DTG: 03/0630Z
OBS VA CLD:
SFC/FL150 S0810 E11400 - S0820 E11420 - S0800 E11420 -
S0810 E11400 MOV SE 10KT

FCST VA CLD +6HR: 03/1230Z
SFC/FL150 S0810 E11400 - S0820 E11420 - S0800 E11420 - S0810 E11400
FCST VA CLD +12HR: 03/1830Z
FCST VA CLD +18HR: 04/0030Z

RMK: VA OBS ON MTSAT VIS IMAGERY AT 03/0532Z 15NM TO ESE AND ON
MODIS-TERRA AT 03/0245Z. PIREP AT 03/0540Z REPORTS THIN ASH
COLUMN TO FL150. CVGHM ADVISE ASH 200M ABOVE SUMMIT. HEIGHT
ADJUSTED DUE TO PIREP. **USE TEXT ADVISORY FOR FLIGHT PLANNING**
NXT ADVISORY: NO LATER THAN 20150703/1230Z

PoppaJo
3rd Jul 2015, 15:11
Strange that Jetstar have CX flights but VA have not , at least not yet .
Not strange at all. Be reminded they flew a A320 through the ash last year, 2 new expensive engines later sounds like they have learnt their lesson :ok:

dream747
4th Jul 2015, 03:35
Those 2 engines are back in service. No major damage found to any of its components after thorough inspection @ IAE.:ok:

Beer Baron
4th Jul 2015, 04:29
I overheard on BN CTR a JQ flight bound for Bali divert to Darwin (I think), about an hour ago so perhaps it's got worse?

wheels_down
4th Jul 2015, 06:08
Appears all Australian carriers have diverted and cancelled.

Asian carriers continue operations though.

tourismman
4th Jul 2015, 08:22
Beer Baron Hi,

It was JQ47 ex BNE a 7Late7 .They weren't happy the pax,story on all the BNE news channels tonight.

OH WELL!

Global Aviator
4th Jul 2015, 08:26
Always amazes me Aussie operations cancel other go.

Air Asia still flying Jetstar not. Must make it hard to explain to pax!

I'd much prefer the erring on the side of safety.

Just need screen the famous BA747 ash encounter in the waiting room!

catseye
4th Jul 2015, 10:02
LATEST AND FINAL UNTIL IT BURBS AGAIN...... RATHER BE LOOKING AT THE AREA IN THE DAYLIGHT RATHER THAN GROPING AROUND IN THE DARK. :D

Received FVAU04 at 07:15 UTC, 04/07/15 from ADRM
VA ADVISORY
DTG: 20150704/0708Z
VAAC: DARWIN

VOLCANO: RAUNG 263340
AREA: INDONESIA

ADVISORY NR: 2015/18
INFO SOURCE: MTSAT-2, CVGHM, PIREP, HIMAWARI
ERUPTION DETAILS: VA LAST OBS AT 04/0450Z EXT 30NM TO SE

OBS VA DTG: 04/0700Z
OBS VA CLD: VA NOT IDENTIFIABLE FM SATELLITE DATA
WIND SFC/FL150 290/15KT

FCST VA CLD +6HR: 04/1300Z
NO VA EXP
FCST VA CLD +12HR: 04/1900Z
NO VA EXP
FCST VA CLD +18HR: 05/0100Z
NO VA EXP

RMK: CURRENT SAT IMAGERY INDICATES ASH FROM RAUNG HAS NOW
DISSIPATED, HOWEVER VOLCANIC TREMOR ACTIVITY IS STILL HIGH.
ADVISORY TERMINATED.
NXT ADVISORY: NO FURTHER ADVISORIES.

catseye
4th Jul 2015, 10:05
AT LEAST IT IS ON THE SIG WX CHART TODAY. WASN'T YESTERDAY.

Australia Significant Weather (SIGWX) (http://www.bom.gov.au/aviation/charts/sigwx/#)

meloz
5th Jul 2015, 15:21
The rules must have changed. JQ37 is at TOD for DPS 110 minutes after the latest update, which looks the same as the previous 2 stand downs.

VA 70 also departed 60 minutes after the advisory.

Volcanic Ash Graphics (http://www.bom.gov.au/products/IDD65290.shtml)

Meloz

Global Aviator
8th Jul 2015, 02:55
No more delays?

Heard it's rumbling again? More delays at busy times?

Or just book Asian Airlines?

:O:O:O

meloz
8th Jul 2015, 09:54
Virgin and JQ flights cancelled again due to activity.

MountRuang
9th Jul 2015, 05:44
Is there any particular reason why other airlines are still flying in and around Bali?

Do they not take their safety regulations as serious as Australia?

Any insight would be appreciated. I have a relative over there who is considering flying with another airline, but I have told her to stay put and travel with an Australian carrier.

Global Aviator
9th Jul 2015, 07:22
So how are airlines operating into Bali?

An honest question as I see J* and V cancelled again, yet the Asian carriers persisting.

Latest satellite imagery has the entire island covered. Now I realize it may not be thick ash however if its forecast to be there how can you operate into it?

Maybe no problems today or tomorrow but when time comes for engine inspection?

What am I missing? I'm dumbfounded.

Australia too safe or too cautious? I don't think so. But how can airlines validate flying into it?

Willi B
9th Jul 2015, 07:47
Global Aviator

I'm with you. I have family members scheduled to fly from Sydney to Bali on Sunday via Garuda. So far as I can see, Garuda flights are still operating. I'm concerned for their safety. If there's a risk to public safety, why aren't all carriers cancelling flights?

swh
9th Jul 2015, 08:06
Bali is clear, no ash at all. Coming from Australia you should be to the south of it all the time.

The ash cloud is not that high, or dense.

Willi B
9th Jul 2015, 08:25
Thanks swh. It's still not clear to me why J* and V should cancel.

ACMS
9th Jul 2015, 08:39
I guess VA and JQ have made their beds now they need to sleep in them.

The VAAC forecast ash was well north of DPS up to FL 170. All Asian Airlines including SQ CX MH EK etc operated quite safely into DPS today.

Must be costing VA JQ quite a packet.

Update----the latest VAAC forecast is overhead DPS up to FL 170 so fair enough they cancel. Now what are other Airlines doing including mine??? Mmm

Global Aviator
9th Jul 2015, 09:00
Problem is J* and V err on the side of caution. Ash cloud within X miles etc.

Yes it was to the Nth yesterday but forecast less than 40nm from airport.

I'd be frustrated as a pax but I'd also be happy knowing that safety comes first.

A quick search you will see Tiger, SQ, Air Asia, Silk all still Bali bound.

Back to my point when is it ok to disregard safety or a volcanic ash report.

All ok till something flucks up, I wonder I'm a few days time if a few engines may devil some issues.

ACMS
9th Jul 2015, 09:03
Yes well I'm agreeing with you now as the observed ash is now over the airport.

dream747
9th Jul 2015, 10:31
It beats me as well how and why everyone else is flying into Bali except the Qantas group and Virgin. Note that it's not just the Asian carriers, even KLM etc are operating into Bali.

Genuine question, don't they have some sort of volcanic ash avoidance policy? How do they decide when to stop flights?:confused:

Global Aviator
9th Jul 2015, 11:21
Ahhh maybe while Aussies have been concentrating on ADSB installation they have missed the boat on the new VADSUHD.

Yes that's the Volcanic Ash Dection System Ultra High Def.

Sheesh can't believe they forgot to get it installed.

Good on the rest of the world leading and installing it.

Now gotta go put a new order in for an overhauled Thrunomeister, of course that can wait as going flying in the C209XLT tomorrow.

Now where do I order a VADSUHD?

The Green Goblin
9th Jul 2015, 12:09
I suppose you could say that's why Australia has never lost a VH registered jet.

Elsewhere, particularly the region concerned, the dollar comes first and the hull losses happen with regular occurrence.

Bad Adventures
9th Jul 2015, 12:30
Is the volcano still erupting or is it just that the ash cloud is hanging around? If this goes on for weeks you could have 10 thousand people stuck up there. What happens then, does the government get involved with the military to air lift people out of there?

Fluke
9th Jul 2015, 14:49
I am currently on holiday in Bali with my family. We arrived on the 4th Melbourne to Singapore and then down to Denpsar with KLM.
The ash cloud is having no obvious effect on the ground here and is certainly not affecting departures and arrivals from the east. I am aware that situation could deteriorate rapidly but surely a rescheduled daylight flight with a Singapore or Darwin alternate should be able to cut the mustard.
Mind you looking at the weather due to pass through Victoria on the weekend, I may be able to cope with a few more days up here. :)

meloz
9th Jul 2015, 17:33
A1413/15 notamn
q) waaf/qfalc/iv/nbo/a/000/999/0845s11510e005
a) wadd b) 1507091446 c) 1507092230
e) ad clsd due to raung mt activity

meloz
9th Jul 2015, 18:45
B1067/15 NOTAMR B1065/15
Q) WAAF/QFALC/IV/NBO/A/000/999/0845S11616E005
A) WADL B) 1507091531 C) 1507092230
E) AD CLSD DUE TO RAUNG MT ACTIVITY
CREATED: 09 Jul 2015 15:31:00
SOURCE: WRRRYNYX

Global Aviator
9th Jul 2015, 20:33
That will stop them!!! (Maybe)!

dream747
9th Jul 2015, 23:16
Latest NOTAM shows AD will be closed for the day.

4 Holer
10th Jul 2015, 00:02
Aussies are not flying to Bali because they are NOW from a nanny state where panic rules.The great Australian skilled QF/AN knock about pilots are all retired.

UnderneathTheRadar
10th Jul 2015, 01:56
Like Fluke I'm now on extended enforced holiday in Denpasar. Today it's just blown over very smokey/hazy. AD is closed until 7.30 local tonight and the tourist panic is starting - Jetstar are apparently quoting no seats available until 24th or so....

I always wanted to learn to surf.....😃

Global Aviator
10th Jul 2015, 02:52
Well I could think of worse places to be stuck!

It's a reminder to us that we live on planet earth and will be dictated to by it not the other way around. At the same time as this there's a Typhoon in Japan.

Still it will be interesting to see if any of the airlines operating in and out the last few days experience any engine issues due ash, not that we will ever hear about it if so.

As a pax I've been delayed by weather and yes it sucks but I'd rather have a cold Bintang in my hand than two engines quiting due ash... Etc!

It's the way of the airlines today, push push push around the limits. Good on J* and V for showing some integrity.

As for the post re old skool pilots I'll take that as tounge in cheek.

Hoping the mountain stops being angry very soon so all the kiddies can get back to school on time :O

ExtraShot
10th Jul 2015, 03:43
Whilst nobody knows the guys full reasoning or situation on the day, there is something of a sticking point for me out of this story.

The amount of people who turn up to work on the flight deck of an aircraft worth millions upon millions of dollars, carrying paying passengers over thousands of kilometres and millions of city dwelling innocents, whilst feeling under the weather, or after a night without sleep, or in an emotionally unfit state, etc ,etc ,etc; is pretty astonishing.

Airlines have folks on standby for a reason, they have means to get extra help from others when the standbys are all used up (day off payments in some airlines, etc), they have a massive support network that can swing into action to ensure things get done.

YOU ARE NOT LETTING ANYONE DOWN BY CALLING IN SICK!!!!!

Don't be afraid to do it!

I would be even more peeved if you show up to work and pass an illness on to me, or contribute to an incident such as this, rather than have a perfectly healthy standby come out and work instead.

RodH
10th Jul 2015, 06:36
The link to the following story on the ABC TV news site is rather disconcerting.
It is too large to place here so the link is below.
What I cannot understand is why Air Asia X etc. are still flying to Bali !!!!!!! They are still stating they are, or are they really flying in or just cashing in on the desperate!!
What a terrible mess.
There are also reports of stranded Pax not being able to get out of Bali as there are no " available " seats until much later into the month.
Don't the Airlines put on special flights to accommodate these Pax ????
Lets hope the stranded Pax get out really soon .

Australian cancer patient stranded in Bali without medication told to 'go to chemist' by Virgin Australia - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation) (http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-07-10/cancer-patient-stranded-without-medication-in-bali/6610720)

BPA
10th Jul 2015, 07:58
Both JQ and VA would be working in their recovery plans, including adding additional flights once the ash is clear.
I'm sure once they know the ash is clear they will publish details of their recovery plans.

Renmarkable
10th Jul 2015, 09:55
I am also stranded here, flying with virgin. I have had nothing but terrible experiences with Jet star, so virgin is my only choice. Virgin is at least communicating with us. no one with Jet star is getting any news at all.
people on the streets are furious, not with the volcano, but with the disgusting customer service attitude.
We are due to fly to adelaide tomorrow, at 2.40 we shall see what happens but have to pack as usual... if this doesn't leave we won't get a flight before the 20th......

Icarus2001
10th Jul 2015, 10:02
Don't the media love it.

Lots of video of mums holding crying children in arms complaining about those nasty airlines spoiling their holiday. Callous bastards.

Two things:

1. Travel insurance is a great idea. Who knew?

2. There are other ways out of Indonesia by air that avoid Denpasar, so the people who are expecting to be stuck for 10 days or more can get home via another departure point.

compressor stall
10th Jul 2015, 10:12
From above article..

An Australian tourist stranded in Bali has said her airline told her to "go to a chemist" when she told them she was running out of vital cancer medication.

Which is where she got them. Did she expect Virgin to have some in stock to give to her?

She said the additional days overseas had cost her family about $10,000, including the new flights, lost income and hotel accommodation.
That's what travel insurance is for. If you don't have it, no sympathy.

There's no blame here, we don't want to blame anyone
So why the *&^% are you whinging to the media?

Whining bint.

meloz
10th Jul 2015, 10:12
How do you expect them to get to these other airports you speak of?

swh
10th Jul 2015, 12:08
Bus/ferry to Banyuwangi Baru train station and then rail to Jakarta or Surabaya.

Icarus2001
10th Jul 2015, 13:08
How do you expect them to get to these other airports you speak of?Would you like me to draw a diagram?

Imagine Wellington in enzed was suffering the same sort of volcanic ash cloud. Would you not work out how to get a ferry to the South Island and depart the country via Christchurch? Or perhaps a bus or train to Auckland to depart from there?

Capt Claret
10th Jul 2015, 13:26
I think the folks saying that it's not good enough, or similar, should have shown more foresight and booked with a carrier that is still flying, or booked to travel when the volcano wasn't spewing ash. Simple really. :ugh:

ACMS
10th Jul 2015, 13:39
Clarrie---how would people that may have booked months ago know the Volcano was going to erupt?

Travel insurance? Now that's a different thing.

meloz
10th Jul 2015, 13:49
Have you ever travelled by bus, ferry or train in Indo? I think I would rather wait it out. And I would not be complaining, I understand it is a safety issue outside of the airlines control.

Chris2303
10th Jul 2015, 13:56
Of course if they had joined the "boycott Bali" movement they wouldn't be there.

swh
10th Jul 2015, 14:29
Meloz,

The train is very comfortable and reliable, not sure what you are on about. Lots on web resources e.g. Train travel in Indonesia | Trains Jakarta-Surabaya, ferry to Bali (http://www.seat61.com/Indonesia.htm#.VZ_WcUrXeK0)

meloz
10th Jul 2015, 15:42
Valid point about the train, however ferry and bus in this country is probably more dangerous than flying thru an ash cloud.:ok:

Capt Claret
10th Jul 2015, 16:49
ACMS, the same way the airlines didn't know it was going to blow, so had sold seats. Some of the complaints have been somewhat petulant. Although an atheist I still understand the concept of an act of God.

As you say, travel insurance.

Now where's that tongue in cheek emoticon?

Metro man
10th Jul 2015, 23:29
Bali is NOTAM closed until 110400 which is an extension of the closure as it was NOTAM closed until yesterday evening. The closure will quite probably be extended again. Departures out of Singapore for Bali are showing as cancelled or retimed, with the first being 0600UTC but I wouldn't be getting my hopes up.

RodH
11th Jul 2015, 00:23
I have read a news story about a woman who is stranded in Bali along with thousands of others. This woman is complaining to the media about VA not being helpful about her need to replenish her essential medication. I find it almost incomprehensible to understand that when such medicines are vital to her health that she only took enough with her for her holiday + one day spare. How utterly stupid is that , to go on an overseas trip with virtually no reserves whatever and then to start to complain because VA staff told her to go to a Chemist . Where on earth else could they suggest she go to get medication!!!
It beggars belief that such people have the hide to try to blame others for their own complete lack of foresight for un foreseen delays. Sure , there may be grounds for complaint re advice from Airlines regarding delayed or cancelled flights but there would not appear to be any grounds for complaining about her medications .
It's all her fault for lack of adequate planning.
Nobody in their right mind would take such few reserves of medication ....
Perhaps this last statement explains it all. !!!
http://www.pprune.org/forums/images/smilies2/eusa_wall.gifhttp://www.pprune.org/forums/images/smilies2/eusa_wall.gifhttp://www.pprune.org/forums/images/smilies2/eusa_wall.gif

Capt Basil Brush
11th Jul 2015, 01:08
The Virgin ground staff at DPS are Balinese/Indonesian, they simply instructed this lady to do what they would do in this situation. While not in the news article because it would have ruined the news story, I would say they also told her to speak to her doctor and go to the BIMC Hospital for assistance in getting the medication, which she did.

Next thing she will be in the audience on Q and A with a loaded question - and it will be Tony Abbots fault the volcano went off and she got stranded with 1 days extra medication.

TWT
11th Jul 2015, 01:17
Most of the holidaymakers in Bali will not be seasoned travellers,but people on package tours.Bali is the first overseas destination that many Australians travel to (and the last,in many cases).They are on a budget and when they are exposed to the vagaries of the big wide world,they cannot cope.Hence they have to blame someone.Contingency plans are non-existent,no money or time for those.

The same mindset that expects the Oz government to rescue them from anywhere in the world when things go wrong.Perhaps they need to do an online 'induction' before travelling to educate them about all the possible things which can go wrong.And sign it.

Many,many things can upset travel plans :)

Metro man
11th Jul 2015, 01:25
Nanny state again, people expecting the government to do everything for them. People like this should be confined within a small radius of their local Centrelink office.

Advice regarding travel and medications is readily available on the Smart Traveller website. Telling her to go to a medical professional was sensible, if a chemist couldn't supply exactly what she needed he may have an alternative available or know where she could get her medicine from.

The media should be blamed as well for publicising this sort of nonsense thereby implying blame on the part of the airlines.

It reminds me of a sign on a garage wall,

"A Lack of Planning on Your Part Doesn't Constitute an Emergency on Mine."

TWT
11th Jul 2015, 01:32
I don't see much publicity being given to the plans of the airlines to put on a lot of extra flights as soon as the ash cloud has dissipated either.

Next we'll be hearing whinging about how the airlines won't pay for their extra accommodation....
kkkkk
kkkkk
kkkk
kkkkk

Global Aviator
11th Jul 2015, 01:55
Moving South now by the looks...

Wonder who will fly first?

As for the complaining, it's inevitable but as they say, like the old Amercican Express commercial, travel insurance the same - DONT LEAVE HOME WITHOUT IT.

I feel travel insurance should be mandatory plane and simple.

It cost bugger all and covers so much.

I would imagine it will be like a mass evacuation once planes start flying.

Now if all the 'stranded' pax could just remember it's not any of the airline staffs fault not airport workers so please be nice to them, super nice as no doubt they are equally stressed and more so with the odd d*ckhead bogan rant to put up with.
:cool::cool::cool:

Metro man
11th Jul 2015, 01:55
European airlines are required to accommodate passengers in the event of weather disruptions. If your flight out of Hong Kong is cancelled due to a typhoon, British Airways have to look after you whereas Cathay don't.

It will be interesting to see the responses from the airlines involved. KLM operate on the SIN - DPS leg and could be up for a few hotel bills. This flight has about six codeshares on it but I reckon only those who booked on KLM or Air France would be in the running.

Obviously with the low costs, expect only a refund or rebooking.

UnderneathTheRadar
11th Jul 2015, 02:38
Airport seems to be open again. Virgin saying they'll announce by 1300 local if they'll depart any from Denpasar - they must have some airframes/crew on the ground or are going to go up empty? JQ already scrubbed for the day and say there are no .

There would seem a big PR opportunity for the airline that gets the media down to show the big a330/787 departing empty for the 'rescue'. Both VA & JQ should be able to do that without excessive extra disruption. You'd hazard a guess that Garuda and Air Asia are less likely to do so.

As for the ABC story - an absolute disgrace - I'm astounded they'd stoop to newscorp levels.

The overland route - possible but its festival time in Indonesia next week so the whole country is trying to get home at the moment. I also would be reluctant to take my family on some of the boats/roads/busses while I can sit in the beach drinking Bintang!

Capt Basil Brush
11th Jul 2015, 03:03
The ash cloud is still a LOT closer to DPS than it was when they started cancelling daytime flights, night time is another matter.

It will be interesting to see what Virgin do?? Sounds like J* have cancelled everything today.

meloz
11th Jul 2015, 04:12
DPS and LOP now open. JQ reported to resume day time flights which means Perth and Darwin I guess.

UnderneathTheRadar
11th Jul 2015, 04:29
Just been told by VA that we're on a special VA9547 (a 330?) on Monday.

I bet the ABC don't report that....

Metro man
11th Jul 2015, 04:53
Flights now shown as having departed Singapore for Bali as of twenty minutes ago. Still plenty of departures shown as cancelled later on.

People don't seem to understand that when a flight is cancelled it can't simply be laid on again the next day as aircraft and crews may not be available. Aircraft utilisation needs to be kept as high as possible and there may not be the capacity to pull extra flights out of the hat when needed.

The aircraft that was supposed to operate the cancelled flight more than likely just sat on the tarmac and the crew went home.

Willi B
11th Jul 2015, 05:08
Just been advised by Garuda in Sydney that there will be departures ex Denpasar for SYD/MEL this afternoon; and that the airline is planning scheduled departures from SYD and MEL to Denpasar tomorrow (Sunday).

PoppaJo
11th Jul 2015, 12:38
Virgin should clear their backlog pretty quick, 4 flights are on decent right now into Denpasar from all ports, with spare 737s around and plenty of crews on standby it all happens pretty quick being a narrow body operation.

Jetstar 787 operation a little slower yet to depart Australia with tight schedules not allow room for many extra flights. Could always use those A330s that went to QF?

meloz
11th Jul 2015, 20:56
Let's see how they react to the latest.

Consistency will boost confidence.
IDD41290
VA ADVISORY
DTG: 20150711/1936Z
VAAC: Darwin

VOLCANO: Raung 263340
AREA: Indonesia

ADVISORY NR: 2015/56
INFO SOURCE: HIMAWARI-8, CVGHM
ERUPTION DETAILS: VA PLUME OBS AT 11/1910Z TO FL150 EXT 150NM TO SE.

OBS VA DTG: 11/1935Z
OBS VA CLD:
SFC/FL150 S0805 E11400 - S0805 E11405 - S0830 E11450 -
S0920 E11510 - S1025 E11530 - S1020 E11400 - S0925 E11355 -
S0805 E11400 MOV SE 15KT

FCST VA CLD +6HR: 12/0135Z
SFC/FL150 S0805 E11400 - S0805 E11405 - S0840 E11510 -
S1000 E11600 - S1025 E11530 - S1020 E11400 - S0925 E11355 -
S0805 E11400
FCST VA CLD +12HR: 12/0735Z
S0805 E11400
FCST VA CLD +18HR: 12/1335Z
S0805 E11400

RMK: VA OBS ON 11/1910Z H-8 RGB/IR IMAGE. HEIGHT AND MOVEMENT
DERVIED FROM, SURABAYA 11/1200Z SOUNDING AND MODEL DATA. CVGHM
CONFIRM ERUPTIONS ARE ONGOING. **USE TEXT FOR FLIGHT PLANNING
PURPOSES**
NXT ADVISORY: NO LATER THAN 20150712/0135Z

Bad Adventures
11th Jul 2015, 22:59
It's all up the sh*t again.

UnderneathTheRadar
11th Jul 2015, 23:55
Virgin have canned the days flying. JQ website still says they're going.

waren9
12th Jul 2015, 00:04
looks like the boys on nz245 have had a long night.

akl to dps, did a u turn about asp and nearly back to akl. check out flight aware

Metro man
12th Jul 2015, 00:06
Early JQ dep. from Singapore cancelled, other airlines showing as retimed. DPS not NOTAMed closed. Another interesting day of playing it by ear.

12th Jul 2015, 00:16
Those espousing the belief that travel insurance will cover them may want to read the fine print.
Some will, most will not.

Bad Adventures
12th Jul 2015, 00:47
This policy covers it all.

https://qantasaircrewclub.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2014/11/pds_0326_001.pdf

TWT
12th Jul 2015, 00:48
Been watching a Lion 739 in a racetrack pattern to the west of LOP.He's bugged out and appears to be heading back whence he came (CGK).Perhaps LOP is closed.

Octane
12th Jul 2015, 01:15
This morning there is a fine layer of dust on my car (Legian, Bali). It is silica, black and feels abrasive. The car was washed the day before and yesterday was mostly sunny and no visual sign of an ash cloud. I was sceptical but now appreciate why the airport was closed...

Metro man
12th Jul 2015, 02:00
A couple of flights departed Singapore around 0830 local time after a 30 min delay. A few more showing 1100 after 90 min delay. The rest of today have gate numbers with no delays shown but obviously subject to change.

RodH
12th Jul 2015, 02:27
I see by " Flt Radar " that quite a few flights are getting into Denpasar quite easily, mind you all are Asian Carriers.
I suppose the difference between Australian Airlines and the ones from Asia getting in is that it is only 2hrs from Jakarta to Denpasar where most of the flights are originating but a lot further from OZ.
Given the volatility and uncertainty of the Volcano the WX could change from OK to bad fairly quickly so being close would give Asian Airlines much better options and able to make changes rapidly.
It would be a much bigger problem to divert from Denpasar after a 5 hour flight and have to go elsewhere than the relatively shorter Asian sectors.
Chaos reigns again for stranded OZ tourists.

AileronsNeutral
12th Jul 2015, 02:51
A1423/15 NOTAMN
Q) WAAF/QFALC/IV/NBO/A/000/999/0845S11510E005
A) WADD B) 1507120230 C) 1507120800
E) AD CLSD DUE TO RAUNG MT ACTIVITY

All inbounds currently in the process of bugging out to Surabaya.

RodH
12th Jul 2015, 03:26
That sure confirms my statement that the WX/ Viz can change rapidly and the Airport closes quickly.
What a dilemma for the Australian Airlines.
Do they fly to Denpasar when the airport is open but could close at any time because there is still active Volcano activity or wait a while until it settles down ? Seems like the latter could take weeks.
I'm very glad I am not in Bali right now!!!

Octane
12th Jul 2015, 05:09
I'd rather be stuck in Bali with this balmy weather than stuck in Melbourne trying to get here....!

Bad Adventures
12th Jul 2015, 05:58
Air Asia departing even though airport closed. Will divert if need be when they get there :)

meloz
12th Jul 2015, 06:21
GA715 trying the same trick.

meloz
12th Jul 2015, 06:25
GA719 overhead DPS FL400 100 mins before notam expiry bugging out elsewhere. CGK perhaps? The Sheraton Bandara might get busy tonight.

wheels_down
12th Jul 2015, 08:37
AirAsia and Garuda got in. Looks like they are recommencing ops.

Qatar And Cathay 777s on finals now.

Bad Adventures
12th Jul 2015, 13:18
Will this stop them? http://www.bom.gov.au/products/IDD65290.shtml

UnderneathTheRadar
12th Jul 2015, 13:52
The Aussie airlines - no doubt. The rest - based on this weeks behaviour - nup.

swh
12th Jul 2015, 15:05
BA,

If you look at the graphic and text it's been downgraded to orange which means watch, it is no longer at the warning level (red).

UTR,

Maybe other airlines have more experience in dealing with these events. Earlier in the week it was easy to get in and out without going near ash, it's easy to see during the day.

Bad Adventures
12th Jul 2015, 15:54
Will the Australian carriers fly if the colour code is orange and the plume being over the airport?

Virgin has already cancelled all services for the 13th so i guess not.

Fluke
13th Jul 2015, 00:24
Arrived back in Melboune yesterday 12th. I went via Sydney on JQ38 and family direct on JQ36. Just very lucky! Thank you to JQ crew who I understand were also trapped for five days or so with 24 hour layover luggage.

Very stressful for those still stuck or planning to travel to Bali. Accurate infomation is scarce as is accommodations. I had travel insurance but was unsure how it could be activated or if it would continue past my expected return date. ( there was a very informative guy speaking on ABC news radio this morning about travel insurance.). Once your holiday is interrupted by an event (ash cloud) the policy kicks in, and continues until you leave with a warning to seek advice before spending large dollars on alternative travel/airlines.

If we had not got on a flight, I planned to travel by rail to Surabaya and fly out probably to KL ( Singapore flights very busy), and return to OZ.

Putting my 20 cents in as an airline pilot and knowing nothing about Jetstars operational or fuel policies, ( probably comes down to liability anyway).i would suggest they retime inbound flights to arrive at midday ( even if airport is NOTAMed closed or ash forecast). Carry island reserve fuel ( 2 hours), or ash free alternates. Over last few winters in the U.S. many airlines depart for JFK with the runways closed requiring clearing, expecting this will be done by actual arrival time. Doesn't always work but beats not trying.

Also Jetstar refund policy is cheap! Only allowing the same airports on a rebooked ticket when it is the airport which is the problem ? Come on !

UnderneathTheRadar
13th Jul 2015, 02:44
Funny ol' world - when this started, JQ were more cautious, now it seems the opposite.

VA cancelled all of todays flights but JQ (their update being several hours later than they said it would) are operating daylight services with, for the first time, a sensible explanation of why they are making the decisions they are.

VA on the phone and website this morning with silly statements like 'the weather has deteriorated' starting to look silly when everyone here has the Ash advisories on their phones/ipads.

In terms of PR, VA had been streets ahead, JQ starting to catch at a rapid rate....

chuboy
13th Jul 2015, 22:54
JETSTAR AND QANTAS WORK TOGETHER TO BRING AUSTRALIANS HOME - Qantas News Room (http://www.qantasnewsroom.com.au/media-releases/jetstar-and-qantas-work-together-to-bring-australians-home/)

Brings a tear to the eye :}

LeeJoyce
14th Jul 2015, 08:59
Hmmm

All flights that departed today from mel were JQ

A 787 and a330 @ approx 8am, empty a330 and full 787.

Funny the a330 departed 5min earlier but the 787 passed it and left the a330 in its wake...

335pax off to a holiday for a week, or two... or... LOL

Buckshot
14th Jul 2015, 09:49
All flights that departed today from mel were JQ

Yes but QF operated the JQ HNL flight today to free up the aircraft for DPS.

Also, 2 x QF 737s operated PER-DPS charters

Toruk Macto
14th Jul 2015, 12:08
Waiting this afternoon for my daughter to get her hair braided in a well known part of Bali, not far from the crew hotels and got talking to lady who owns the shop . She was saying the Virgin pilots where in earlier for a 4 hour massage . Sounds like a tough day at the office .

Capt Basil Brush
14th Jul 2015, 13:16
Waiting this afternoon for my daughter to get her hair braided in a well known part of Bali, not far from the crew hotels and got talking to lady who owns the shop . She was saying the Virgin pilots where in earlier for a 4 hour massage . Sounds like a tough day at the office

BS alarm going off here. The crew hotels are not even close to each other, a shop can not be close to both of them. And what's the big deal about getting a massage in Bali?

BNEA320
15th Jul 2015, 03:19
couldn't travel insurance companies/airlines charter turbo props to fly DPS/SUB & then have jets at SUB ?

Would surely save insurance companies lot of $$$.

ACMS
15th Jul 2015, 07:26
Turbo Props suck considerable amounts of air in the front too don't they mate? So surely if a 737 can't fly then neither can a Dash 8......:D

chuboy
15th Jul 2015, 08:14
You would think chartering buses for overland transport to the next closest airport would be cheaper, but I guess that wouldn't provoke as much of a tingle in your inner spotter :ok:

Capt Claret
15th Jul 2015, 08:36
Yep, the Indonesians need to build bridges from each island in the archipelago to the next to facilitate road transport from one island's airport, to the next. :}

swh
15th Jul 2015, 12:38
Turbo Props suck considerable amounts of air in the front too don't they mate?

As they say, props are for boats.

The road/rail link to SUB/CGK is really good, and if you have time should be on your bucket list. The scenery in Indonesia is amazing as a result of it sitting on a tectonic plate.

myshoutcaptain
16th Jul 2015, 12:01
Heard today that our good friends in CGK have put a stop to all the adhoc flights to clear the backlog. Although they have been ferrying to DPS empty and operating adhoc home , it seems now CGK requires "the paperwork" to be in order. If true , the media should get onto it. Hard to operate extra services when you aren't allowed .... :ugh::ugh::ugh::ugh:

TWT
16th Jul 2015, 12:16
Is it only adhoc flights between DPS and Australia that require this extra paperwork ?

Australia is not exactly flavour of the month in Indonesia.Relations have been prickly for quite some time.

myshoutcaptain
16th Jul 2015, 12:40
TWT -as far as I know, it is not. I should have been more specific. After the Air Asia accident there has been some significant changes in the filing of notifications. Many delays waiting on the tarmac for your flight plan from CGK,you have no slot and you must depart before time XX (How can you expect to depart on time when you are held as the airport is closed for "15minutes" but really 30 +.

One chestnut I heard about occurred this week -

AUS carrier requested pushback. Aircraft on 10nm final. Aircraft lands and parks at gate , AUS carrier gets pushback. Coincidence I guess.:cool:

AUS inbound from north west , 737 from CGK inbound due west. AUS slowed , vectored and made number two to 737 when AUS was 20nm + in front of 737. :cool:

But we digress ...

meloz
22nd Jul 2015, 06:07
DPS closed again.

Ken Borough
22nd Jul 2015, 07:57
Heard today that our good friends in CGK have put a stop to all the adhoc flights to clear the backlog. Although they have been ferrying to DPS empty and operating adhoc home , it seems now CGK requires "the paperwork" to be in order. If true , the media should get onto it. Hard to operate extra services when you aren't allowed

It's not onerous to secure the necessary approvals. Indonesia, like most of Asia, require certain filings to be made. Approval is usually immediately issued, especially for known entities.