PDA

View Full Version : Brisbane NPR HIALS

1Charlie
2nd Jul 2015, 18:32
Reading some information regarding the construction of the new parallel runway project at Brisbane specifically the high intensity approach lighting system. RWY19R will be the primary landing runway and the HIALS will need to be extended into Moreton Bay. Initial recommendations are for a full length 900m ASLF CATll HIAL system on a bridge into the water.

There is however discussion that, as a cost saving exercise the length of the HIAL be reduced to 720m making them non compliant with ICAO recommendations. Next will be a consultation process with users, and then an exemption sought from CASA to avoid having to build the extra 180m.

While the shorter HIALS (with the exemption) won't affect the technical on paper minimas for the approaches, in a practical sense, being the primary landing runway, surely the more lights the better.

Thoughts?

swh
2nd Jul 2015, 21:08
Will it be cat 3 ?

Snakecharma
2nd Jul 2015, 22:25
Certainly for cat 3 HIALS don't make a lot of difference in the real world because you are doing an autoland and if it really is down to the cat 3 minima you will be well past the lights before you can see anything.

Might be needed to meet the facilities design standard but in a practical sense don't think it makes a lot of difference.

RENURPP
2nd Jul 2015, 23:38
"Safety first" until it costs a few $$$$.

Merlins Magic
3rd Jul 2015, 04:56
SYD R34L (Thanks Capt Fathom) only has approx 420m - no reason that couldn't be extended into the bay.

At the end of the day if it doesn't meet requirements after the exemption then it would not be approved.

Capt Fathom
3rd Jul 2015, 05:36
Maybe Merlin is referring to 34L ?

Fieldmouse
3rd Jul 2015, 07:03
Note: The length of 900 m is based on providing guidance for
operations under Categories I, II and III conditions. Reduced
lengths may support Categories II and III operations but may
impose limitations on Category I operations

Lifted direct from Mos. The lesser lengths are more acceptable for Cat II and III.

Traffic_Is_Er_Was
3rd Jul 2015, 09:40
Thoughts?

Howabout.....1Charlie = 1Dick?

neville_nobody
3rd Jul 2015, 11:11
The length of 900 m is based on providing guidance for operations under Categories I, II and III conditions. Reduced lengths may support Categories II and III operations but may
impose limitations on Category I

Given that the prevailing conditions in BNE for the majority of the time will be at CAT I minima. (ie heavy rain) maybe they should just ante up and do it properly for once.

It will be pretty embarrassing if you are required to autoland on 19R every time it rains in BNE because someone didn't want to build the approach lights to standard. :ugh: