PDA

View Full Version : LHR T1 closes tonight

Heathrow Harry
30th Jun 2015, 16:59
It was such a step forward - for about 5 years..... and then it just fell further & further behind, and grottier and grottier

AirportsEd
30th Jun 2015, 19:11
My last visit was in May and it was already a ghost town. Couldn't help but think of the giant early morning queues of yesteryear as I took a last walk around.

wallp
30th Jun 2015, 19:42
Will all of the current T1 space be demolished and reemerge as an extended T2?

edi_local
30th Jun 2015, 21:37
My last visit was in May and it was already a ghost town. Couldn't help but think of the giant early morning queues of yesteryear as I took a last walk around.

There are still horrendous early morning queues in T2 as there simply isn't enough space in there, it's too small!

T1 will be demolished and T2 will be extended over the space. T2B is already longer than the main T2A building, so that gives a good idea of how much longer T2A will become. Only one side of T2A has gates, the other is a temporary wall with a tunnel taking baggage down to the T1 baggage hall (T2 has no baggage sorting of it's own). Eventually T2 will be doubled in size and will presumably not just be home to Star Alliance. Whether it will be called T2 forever remains to be seen, right now LHR is back to having 4 terminals so quite how long T5 will retain it's title is questionable in my opinion!

ZFT
1st Jul 2015, 02:22
There are still horrendous early morning queues in T2 as there simply isn't enough space in there, it's too small!

....with some of the longest and most boring airport walks imaginable!

GAXLN
1st Jul 2015, 06:11
Many happy memories of T1. First flew from there 13 May '73 to Glasgow on a Trident 1C returning later the same day from Edinburgh on a Vanguard. Clearly Remember the Solari boards listing the flight departures with the clatter of the individual characters falling into place. The mix of Viscounts, Vanguards, Tridents, One-elevens operating European and Domestic flights in the early seventies. Even got to work there for a while. Thanks T1 for the memories and I suspect you played a bigger role in my interest in aviation than I realised at the time. I will miss you and yes wasn't it a ghost town in latter days!

DaveReidUK
1st Jul 2015, 07:05
I have fond memories of T1 as well. For a couple of years the last part of the commute to my desk involved walking the entire length of Pier 3 (no travelator in those days), down the steps at the final gate and then another couple of hundred yards to the brick ESU building, just visible under the Southall gasholder in this shot:

http://www.edparsons.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/termi-300x240.jpg

To have aircraft on all four sides was bliss, having previously worked in a windowless office in the bowels of Queens Building!

insuindi
1st Jul 2015, 08:26
--------DELETE---------

Heathrow Harry
1st Jul 2015, 13:24
many an (un) cheerful hour sitting there... waiting...waiting......

G-ARZG
1st Jul 2015, 18:21
Ahh, Tridents !
Someone on our course convinced himself you could differentiate between Trident 1, 2 and 3 by the angle of the tailplane (sorry, horiz stab). What fun the first time he saw a tail change its angle !

QUOTE=DaveReidUK;9030222]I have fond memories of T1 as well. For a couple of years the last part of the commute to my desk involved walking the entire length of Pier 3 (no travelator in those days), down the steps at the final gate and then another couple of hundred yards to the brick ESU building, just visible under the Southall gasholder in this shot:

http://www.edparsons.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/termi-300x240.jpg

To have aircraft on all four sides was bliss, having previously worked in a windowless office in the bowels of Queens Building![/QUOTE]