PDA

View Full Version : "One year since release of the Forsyth Review-nothing's changed"

jeta108
30th Jun 2015, 07:39
It was on 4 June 2014 that Warren Truss announced that the Aviation Safety Regulation Review Report had been presented to him. The Review had been commissioned by Warren Truss some seven months earlier (November 2013). The Report made 37 recommendations.

Is anyone able to advise if there has been one change that has made any material difference to the aviation sector in this country?

What a complete an absolute waste of money and time – then again, it’s managed to delay any reform for another couple of years. Mr Truss must be very pleased.

LeadSled
30th Jun 2015, 08:11
Is anyone able to advise if there has been one change that has made any material difference to the aviation sector in this country?

Sadly, we all know the answer is nil, and on the absolutely critical (and ruinously expensive as well as mind-numbingly complex) Part 61, sounds like CASA is digging in.

Some of the stuff coming out on "maintenance" would be quite funny, if it wasn't so serious.

Indeed, Mr. Skidmore, at the recent AOPA Safety Seminar at YSBK, expressed great confidence in Part 61, suggesting it would become the benchmark for FAA and EASA, to name but two. He did admit there were some introduction/transition problems (no replacement for CAR 217, so Jack and his brother, from QF down, are supposed to start Part 142 Flying Schools??--- lunacy), but, Hey!!, the basic Part 61 is just great.

At several venues recently, including the recent NP NSW State Conference, Mr. Truss displayed considerable in-depth knowledge of aviation (particularly GA) problems, and once again expressed his support for the ASRR/Forsyth Report ----- ???

So why in the blue blazers doesn't he do something ---- previous Ministers Sharp and Vaile had no problem blasting "public servants" of their comfortably padded bottoms, and getting action, so, come on, Mr. Truss.

Tootle pip!!

yr right
30th Jun 2015, 09:44
If the info that I got is correct there may be some surprises in store.
Remember tomorrow is the start of the new board. I hear they already have a trip planned. I guess time will tell

Captain Sherm
30th Jun 2015, 22:42
jeta108

You ask if there's been any change?

Then without getting an answer, announce that its all a waste of time.

Would it be worth finding out rather than continuing the mindless mantra that the sky is falling in and its not just CASA's fault but they're actively encouraging it?

Just a thought

Frank Arouet
1st Jul 2015, 00:42
Skidmore had enough time to hit the floor running after his job announcement and before taking the chair. I fear he may have been re-educated in the intervening period. But his honeymoon is now well and truly over. Any mindless mantra by the aviation industry is due to his inaction.

Or perhaps we should give him more time to settle in?

Sunfish
2nd Jul 2015, 18:39
Both major political parties are corrupt and a waste of space. The only thing they understand is money and power. They have no interest in actual voters except for the purpose of reelection and then they put us back to sleep. The main game for both parties now is to implement American style capitalism here as quickly as possible.

I no longer expect any meaningful change in aviation regulation. The option was there at the time of the release of the Forsyth review and it has not been taken up by the Government. Skidmore is just another superannuated ex military figurehead - hence my description - "nodding donkey". Harmless to the bureaucrats. Truss is just a place holder.

The next step in the GA aviation environment will be similar to driving a car in Victoria: Outward, sullen, compliance with regulation but complete disregard for same when there is no chance of detection.

Lookleft
2nd Jul 2015, 23:37
I no longer expect any meaningful change in aviation regulation.

Ever since the contempt that the Senate recommendations of 2010 were treated with, I have had the same expectations Sunny. It will require a very "brave" Minister to step out of his/her comfort zone and reform CASA and the regs. The reason that government agencies such as CASA, ASA and the ATSB can continue to appear before the RRAT Committee and stonewall is that they know there are no consequences.

I, like you have said on a number of occasions there is only one scenario that will need to occur to put paid to the mantra that Australia has the safest and best aviation system in the world. Only then will the public sit up and demand changes. Even then the changes will need to happen in a short time frame before complacency settles back down on the travelling public.

halfmanhalfbiscuit
3rd Jul 2015, 16:23
Yes, bugger all. Just like the previous one and dare I say next one too.

Bollocks.

So what happened re NGA reinvestigation too?

Arm out the window
3rd Jul 2015, 22:01
Looks like we're all f****d then, and may as well go kill ourselves!

Sunfish, the donkey description could well be applied to a lot of posters around these parts in terms of the stubborn digging in of heels and refusal to budge at all, by the tone of their comments.

The weary defeatist 'mantra' continually repeated on threads like this achieves bugger all; it's like moaning about the boss in the back room at smoko time and merely serves to spread apathy and a feeling of hopelessness, neither of which are going to achieve much but make the participants less likely to do anything useful.

Lead Balloon
3rd Jul 2015, 22:46
Pointing out that Mr Skidmore has now demontrated an unwillingness or inablity to make substantial changes, despite the findings of the aviation accident investigation inquiry and the recommendations of the aviation safety regulatory review, is not defeatist moaning. It is merely to note that Mr Skidmore has become part of a continuing problem. A disappointing conclusion for some, but an important one, as it means the strategies and energies of those pressing for change will have to be adjusted and refocussed accordingly.

I anticipate that those who initially put faith in Mr Skidmore will now shift their attention to Mr Boyd. Time will tell whether Mr Boyd has sufficient support on the Board, and energy, to make a difference.