PDA

View Full Version : From Zero to A Pilot

shannon.lau
30th Jun 2015, 04:43
Hi All,

I'm in the age of mid 30s with desire to become a pilot. Currently residing in HK as an IT professional, 27 months to go for HK PR.

With limited budget, I gave a thought to apply for cadet programme once I get my permanent HKID. However, a concern would be the age for the first step.

Otherwise, I'm very confused on what are the options available for me.

Appreciate your advise.

Thanks.
Shannon

CodyBlade
1st Jul 2015, 13:48
is this a wind up?

wonderland
1st Jul 2015, 13:53
Looks like it.

LongTimeInCX
2nd Jul 2015, 00:28
Assuming it isn't a wind up:
Given what I know now about flying as a paid career, I wouldn't be recommending it to my kids, let alone anyone else.
Personally, if my current profession ie your IT gig paid ok, I'd be inclined to stay with that, and use my spare cash to fund my flying training, so that I then could simply fly for pleasure.
Then I'd fly where, when, what, with who I wanted, and how I wanted to fly, so that I enjoyed it.
I'd have thought you'd have been a shoe-in for a perm HKID with all the stars having a name like Lau. Or maybe this really is a wind up....

shannon.lau
2nd Jul 2015, 02:37
Sorry for any confusion over here. This is a thread that I would like to get real advice. I searched for any flight school in HK, but it seems nothing much.

Any advice how to get PPL or CPL on my own in HK?

Will fly for Cash
2nd Jul 2015, 04:53
From Zero to Less Than Zero. Which was a great movie BTW.

Arfur Dent
2nd Jul 2015, 05:23
Shannon - worth listening to LongTimeInCx ( not sure if I have all Capitals in the right place!). He speaks an unfortunate truth. When parents, who were in a fabulous job (ie the 'old CX') have seen conditions of service reduce to those of a LoCo within a single generation and would therefore never recommend this Company to their children - I would listen.

CodyBlade
2nd Jul 2015, 13:20
Do more reading on the topic -pages upon pages on this forum alone.

If you are aiming for cadet you really don't need to get a PPL.

Just brush up on your spoken English.

Scoreboard
2nd Jul 2015, 14:56
Dont bother. If you love flying just do it for fun....not as a career. Would disown my own children if they went with a career....would support any endeavour but this one and I come from a generational pilot family and watched not only this airline but many others spiral into abyss of driving costss down by reducing any meaning to this as a successful future

Trafalgar
2nd Jul 2015, 17:42
Apparently the only individuals allowed to have an 'enjoyable' and 'rewarding' career are the managers. The rest of us are supposed to endure a monthly misery of jet lag, commuting hell, unstable rosters and poverty. Yes, I would encourage my son to follow in my footsteps. NOT.

White None
3rd Jul 2015, 04:40
Would disown my own children if .....

Betcha got a good relationship with your Nippers Mate?

Standby incoming " Only a figure of speech " .. etc

shannon.lau
3rd Jul 2015, 08:40
Frankly, I'm quite giving up on what I'm doing now as it's annoying and frustrated. As I had thought bout this industry for quite a long period, I supposed I should really go for it. However, it's another matter do anyone would still hire such a fresh person in the industry at the age of 40 is quite a big concern.

Any advise?

RHEINHARD
3rd Jul 2015, 08:47
Maybe tune in to the BBC world service slightly more often. Good luck.

CISTRS
4th Jul 2015, 02:22
Hi Shannon,
Only 27 months to go for HK PR…congratulations!
Then frankly you can be giving up on your career as an IT professional as it’s annoying and frustrated, and apply for cadet programme. Perhaps you should think do anyone would still hire such a fresh person in the industry at the age of 40 to operate the aviation machinery?
This is quite a big concern.
My advise is that you could use your existing expertise to become Yammer champion of cadet programme, and to introduce challenging standards of literacy into CX IT.
I supposed you should really go for it.
Good luck.

ChinaBeached
4th Jul 2015, 03:31
Shannon - would this be your true "desire" if you had to back yourself, pack up all your measly belongings to go and fly in GA or regional carriers for up to 10 years, perhaps or most likely in a foreign land on your own before being able to apply for an airline like CX used to be?

Or is the option, as you see it, available to you now because the standards and requirements at CX are so low and easy?

CodyBlade
4th Jul 2015, 14:04
Sigh...see #9

advice vs. advise ? The Correct Way to Use Each | Confusing Words (http://www.gingersoftware.com/english-online/spelling-book/confusing-words/advice-advise)

shannon.lau
5th Jul 2015, 15:06
Thanks @CISTRS for your suggestion. I would surely consider on that.