PDA

View Full Version : FAA Instrument Rating to EASA

al_renko
29th Jun 2015, 07:19
Hi all,
I am going on my hols to Florida in January'16.Would it be worth my while to gain a FAA Instrument Rating.Would it be cost effective to somehow convert for use in EASA land.I shall have a letter of Authenticity,verification for the local FSDO in Orlando,thanks for any advice,cheers,
Al.

DCTunltd
29th Jun 2015, 18:53
EASA certified ATO based in Florida might work here.

this is my username
30th Jun 2015, 05:44
Depends a lot on your personal circumstances and why you want an IR. If you have reasons for wanting both an FAA and an EASA IR (eg flying N-reg in Europe) then it can make sense. If the timings / availability work in terms of tying in with your holiday that it might make sense (though an IR is lots of work so you won't get much "holiday"!).

Your best bet would be to look at the cost of your FAA IR then speak to schools in Europe who can take you through a CBIR. Once you have done that you can decide whether it makes sense for you.

debiassi
3rd Jul 2015, 02:02
A very good friend of mine has just completed this conversion.
By comparison, it was a far cheaper option that obtaining an EASA IR.
Lurcherman maybe you can elaborate.

JliderPilot
3rd Jul 2015, 11:58
I would be interested in going the other direction, in getting an FAA licence from my EASA ATPL. Any suggestions where to start? I have done all my training inc LPC etc with flightsafety here in the UK.

debiassi
6th Jul 2015, 16:03
I would be interested in going the other direction, in getting an FAA licence from my EASA ATPL. Any suggestions where to start? I have done all my training inc LPC etc with flightsafety here in the UK.

There is no longer an easy pathway to obtain an FAA/ATP. The rules although not as stringent as in EASA land, are certainly more restrictive than in previous years.

Probably the lesser option would be much more attainable and that would be getting an FAA CPL/IR