PDA

View Full Version : $400,000 "First of Type" Cost

Dick Smith
29th Jun 2015, 05:36
I was recently contacted by a person who was planning to bring a Citation 7 from Europe to Australia. He reminded me of how I had brought in the "first of type" change of rules after the Yates report in 1990. This meant that aircraft certified for other leading countries would not have to have any expensive modifications to operate in Australia.

There has now been a 180-degree turnaround on this. The Citation 7 they planned to bring in, which is fully approved for operation in Europe and the USA, required something like $400,000 worth of modifications to operate in Australia. This included both UNS units had to be upgraded plus ADS-B had to be fitted and – wait for it – yes, a full flight data recorder had to be added. After the $400,000 was factored in it was decided not to bring the plane into Australia. Yet again, another aircraft and the employment lost for our industry.

Things seem to be getting worse, not better. I wonder how many more years we will see of our industry being destroyed.

Pilot58
29th Jun 2015, 07:07
Totally agree

dhavillandpilot
29th Jun 2015, 07:22
Although you have some valid points you are wrong about the FDR this has nothing to do with first of type but a function of over 5700 kgs aircraft

I suspect other costs relate to Australian provisions for aircraft not the actual type certification.

Look up what special provisions the UK CAA have for Citation II type and you'll find you have to have the strengthen belly mod for example.
The old days of perks for the boys are over re Aust certification but complying with our generic requirements remain in the same way as other countries
Why not simply operate the aircraft on the FAA register then you only have to comply with ADSB and the simplified FAA paperwork and approvals

Dick Smith
29th Jun 2015, 08:10
I am correct re the FDR . In the US it depends on passenger numbers. Not weight

Tidbinbilla
29th Jun 2015, 10:16
This would be more appropriate on an aircraft owners forum. This forum is for professional pilots.