PDA

View Full Version : Manchester

Maddie
28th Jun 2015, 20:48
I was approaching Manchester airport yesterday evening just before 7.00pm (Saturday 27th June 2015). A very large plane was on final approach.

It seemed to me and this was I am sure an optical illusion to be merely over the tree tops. At that point it was still passing over houses and the tram line.

I am curious to know, how low would the plane actually have been at that point.

Many thanks,

Maddie

brown1950
28th Jun 2015, 21:03
It was the Vickers Vulcan last flight over Woodford and MAP

brown1950
28th Jun 2015, 21:05
It was the Vickers Vulcan last flight over Woodford and MAP

Sorry looks like the plane was the Emirates A380 as the Vulcan was earlier in the day.

Johnny F@rt Pants
29th Jun 2015, 09:40
The question was how high would it have been?

From where I think you would have been it would have been around 250 feet and getting lower by the second. This is the same height as all the other aeroplanes would have been as they all follow the same descent profile to the runway. If it was a large aeroplane it might appear much lower due to the optical illusion, but it would not have been, well give or take a few feet.

Definitely wasn't the Vulcan, that was mid afternoon. If it was the A380 then it must have had a tech issue in MAN as it didn't leave till just after 1 the following morning.

roverman
29th Jun 2015, 16:48
Emirates A380 flight EK19 arrived at 1903, so that's your large aeroplane. Coming over Ringway Road it would be about 250 feet above ground. Given that that is less than the aircraft's wingspan it would look huge!

Groundloop
30th Jun 2015, 08:40
What's a "Vickers" Vulcan?

Suzeman
30th Jun 2015, 15:09

Sorry, can't tell you - it's a state secret...:E

DamianPaul
16th Jul 2015, 11:26
Does anyone know if Momentary Lapse can be contacted? He does not seem to have been active on any of Pprune Manchester related threads recently, but I am trying to get in touch with him.

VentureGo
16th Jul 2015, 11:32

Vickers Vulcan was a 1922 Biplane - The Vulcan delta wing bomber was initially a Hawker Siddelly product, later known as the Avro Vulcan bomber (But I guess you knew that!)