PDA

View Full Version : Forum Negativity

vectisman
28th Jun 2015, 11:46
I cannot be the only one who has become increasingly aware of an increase in negative responses and personal attacks on these forums in recent months. In certain airline threads the level of negative personal comments and snide remarks is beginning to annoy and upset. There seem to be certain posters who just cannot resist talking down any developments, twist responses and trying to re-open old wounds. Of course people should be enthusiastic and passionate about their views and beliefs, but I fear some posters come bearing grudges and find it hard to move on.

I have been reading and occasionally contributing to these forums for several years. I find them fascinating and extremely informative. However my visits are becoming less and posts infrequent.
Some recent posts concerning events in Tunisia for example are really unacceptable in mature and tone. Even with such tragic events some posters cannot resist turning them into some negative rant.
I believe strongly in free speech, but also with that freedom comes responsibility. Some airlines, airports, people discussed on here seem to be dammed if they do and dammed if they don't. Please can we stick to genuine discussion, rumours with some foundation and even some theories concerning future developments.

Thanks
V.

Heathrow Harry
28th Jun 2015, 12:18
welcome to the internet........... :(:(:(

even email is often an exercise in abuse these days

AerRyan
28th Jun 2015, 12:26
Personally I have been told not to enquire about a pilot as a profession due to the high level of negativity here. I was told that I will be convinced not to do it in every way possible.

racedo
28th Jun 2015, 12:41
Oh it goes up and down all the time.
Mods decide enough is enough and some people need to spend some time on the beach.
Reckon it will be happening soon again as like the Annual Culling season in Hospitals on Aug 1st - New Graduate Doctors or August 12th...............Grouse Hunting Season it comes around every year.

To be fair to Mods, they have sent me for short holidays (all enjoyed not :E) but I have on those occasions little to complain about, on mature reflection they called it right.

Big Tudor
28th Jun 2015, 12:48
In the words of Billy Connolly, "Some people will never be happy as long as their @rse looks at the ground." The world has always had doom mongers and nay sayers. In days gone by they would sit at the end of the bar with a little rain cloud over their heads, generally being avoided by most. Unfortunately the era of the world wide web now gives them a world wide audience for their negativity. As Racedo says, the mods will periodically banish a few for a period of reflection and sanity returns.

racedo
28th Jun 2015, 12:50
In days gone by they would sit at the end of the bar with a little rain cloud over their heads, generally being avoided by most. Unfortunately the era of the world wide web now gives them a world wide audience for their negativity

That is classic as so true.

toon22
28th Jun 2015, 17:07
I quite agree with the setiment behind this thread. Prune is beginning to resemble the Daily Mail comments section with vitriolic, ill judged and often I'll informed rants from people who clearly have an axe to grind.
Until just a few months ago it was a genuinely good forum for news that was not on any other source and informed opinion about the issues that particular carriers and airports face. Can we go back to that please - Jet 2 posters note.

eggc
28th Jun 2015, 17:33
It is not PpRune particularly...its the internet in general, as Heathrow Harry says.

A new breed of warrior has appeared, and their primary weapon is their keyboard, abuse and negativity.

It's everywhere !

ShyTorque
28th Jun 2015, 18:12
Stop moaning, you lot! :ugh:

:p

Jamie2k9
28th Jun 2015, 18:30
Some might argue that some content been posted by some of the newbies (in last year or two) can make for boring reading and at times they can irritate established posters or people in the know about such topics which results in the bickering!

btw - not referring to all new members but expect many will know the type I am on about!

N707ZS
28th Jun 2015, 21:54
Is this a new DTVA forum?

crewmeal
29th Jun 2015, 05:40
You'll always find those that insult, demonize, troll call it what you like would dare not say boo to anyone's face directly. These cowards will always hide behind a screen. Sadly there have been many incidents of people who have committed suicide because of certain actions. BTW I'm not suggesting anyone would do that from reading this forum.

Trossie
29th Jun 2015, 09:57
Sadly 'social media' (including PPRuNe) is full of 'Gollums' who are stuck in their dark little hovels with their 'Preciousss' electronic gadgets. In a dark, gloomy world like that where your skin goes pasty-coloured and your eyes bulge to try to see in so little light, it is very difficult to be anything other than negative. And they see such a minute morsel of the real world that their shrivelled brains make them think that they know everything.

Sadly as well, the proliferation of these electronic 'Preciousss' gadgets is increasing the number of 'Gollums' that there are.

The cure is simple: fresh air, get out into the real world and keep those 'Preciousss' electronic gadgets firmly under control so that they don't control you.

But then, none of those 'Gollums' will understand any of that. (I hope that last sentence didn't sound too negative?!)

Shed-on-a-Pole
29th Jun 2015, 10:06
PPRuNe is full of 'Gollums' who are stuck in their dark little hovels with their 'Preciousss' electronic gadgets. In a dark, gloomy world like that where your skin goes pasty-coloured and your eyes bulge

Damn and blast! I thought nobody on here could see me!!! :-)

AerRyan
29th Jun 2015, 12:04
I suppose it depends why people are on the forums. I personally am here to discuss and gain news about various airports/airlines. I hope this is what most people are on this fourm for.

El Bunto
29th Jun 2015, 18:06
Personal attacks should be dealt with appropriately and sternly.

But other than that I find the level of cynicism and pragmatism on this forum wholly appropriate in the face of an industry that pushes unicorns-and-rainbows PR guff whilst turning the screws tighter and tighter on its customers, the passengers.

It's refreshing to come here and see someone calling-out the latest breathless press release as, well, a load of crap. The mainstream press won't do it, they need the advertising money and the column-inch fillers.

If you want to experience airline fanboyism there's airliners.net's fora. But set a timer for five minutes and close that tab when it sounds...

Cyrano
29th Jun 2015, 21:01
Here's (http://www.pprune.org/airlines-airports-routes/220716-prestwick-102.html#post8733664) what I wrote last year on another thread where someone was bemoaning the negativity:

Some posters on this and other threads look at airports as businesses and discuss them from a commercial point of view: what's the outlook for the business, is the strategy sound, and so on. Given the difficult landscape for smaller airports all over the world, that outlook is often questionable. Expressing doubt about the commercial future of an airline or airport isn't the same as wishing for the human misfortune that failure would bring.

Other posters look at airports like football teams: they cheer for their local airport. They want to see it succeed. Indeed they have faith that it will succeed despite external questioning. Ultimately their argument is a faith-based one (and maybe outsiders' critical questioning pushes them to more extreme defence, or to deny the right of outsiders to get involved.).

It seems to me that there will never be agreement between these points of view - it's what the French call a "dialogue of the deaf".

I'll wait to get flamed now from one side or another. :hmm:

jigger01
29th Jun 2015, 23:30
Absolutely hundred percent agree with vectisman..the real technical discussions on such a myriad of subjects by what has to be said are some pretty bright minds, has in some quarters been '7500',to complete morons who wish only to express non aviation related and maybe politic(sic) views to
further their grubby little cause..point in case?..look at any Airline/Airport in
any trouble on this site and the 'nay' Sayers are queuing up to slander/backstab/destroy..peoples jobs and livelihoods. Ignorant pigs with snouts in the trough?..well probably a bit too strong for this forum!..
Pax..you are our life-blood so no issue with people pee'd off with some
issue..(let's get that straight)..all said and done aviation is not in decline,
despite what certain person(s) with agendas on this site will tell you..
there is often Sunshine after rain...

owenc
30th Jun 2015, 00:30
Definitely! I have been attacked on here although not often.

I agree with the poster who suggests that we don't enquire about a career in aviation.

There is another airline forum which is much worse, I haven't posted there in a while. The members have been talking about me over the past week and I have not even strung up a conversation!

I think to be honest some people just have boring lives and love drama.

There are alot of miserable people out there don't even take them on.

Heathrow Harry
30th Jun 2015, 16:56
BoY!

if anyone thinks slagging people off on the internet is "Drama" you REALLY need to get out a bit more...............

Joe Curry
1st Jul 2015, 13:33
I cannot be the only one who has become increasingly aware of an increase in negative responses and personal attacks

Those who do exercise positive posts are hounded by those who find positivity offensive if it isn't directed at what they want to read. Problem is
the mods seem oblivious to positive individual prime movers, erring on the side of the contrived.