PDA

View Full Version : Doc Marten Flying Boots - This is priceless!!

skidtube
13th Jun 2002, 00:30
I found this floating around at work today.
I have no idea how it got here, but has made a few people laugh none the less!
ENJOY!

TRIAL OF DR MARTINS. SLIP ON FLYING BOOT

Dear *******,

I accordance with your instructions I have begun to trial the boots supplied to me with a view to introducing them as standard issue to Company Flight Crews. I have thus far used the boots for two operational flights, each just a short 3 hours duration. My inital impressions of this boot prompt me to write to you early with my findings as I feel for me to continue with this trial would have a detrimental affect on my performance and reputation as a North Sea Commander.

The boots I were given are a size 8, a standard fit for me. I usually have no problems with width fitting as my feet are relatively slender appendages. I would also like to comment that I have had very little problems with my feet such as blistering, hot spots or other soreness associated with ill fitting shoes/boots in the past and in particular thoughout my 12 year military career.

Enough about me, what of the boots.

Firstly the boots themselves appeared to fit quite well although giving the impression of a snug comfortable feel. However, upon walking (of which I covered approximately 1-2kms to and from the line office) the boots give a very good impression of "wobbly wellies" with the characteristic "slap slap" onto the fore and aft of the shin areas. This feature is accompanied by a correspondingly "I've just shat my pants" type perambulation on the part of the wearer. The net affect of this particular feature of the boots is to purport the wearer to the public at large as either: Crippled, gay, hung like the proverbial donkey or indeed a combination of all three.

The next hurdle for these boots was the entry and exit into the Puma Helicopter. As you are no doubt aware, entering the Puma Helicopter with the sense of purpose and style that one would like to associate with the qualities of a highly trained, confident North Sea Commander, requires a not inconsiderable amount of poise and practice. Crucial to this manoeuvre is the fit and comfort of ones footwear. Unfortunately the lack of fore and aft stability of the trial boots (the reason for the "wellie" effect) translates into an appalling vertical instability of the wearer during the crucial transfer of CG at the key point of rotations (ie foot in footwell, f**k me I'm not gonna make this, whoa, s*it jesus, hope no-ones watching this, type of manoeuvre.) Failure to locate the foot sqaurely in the footwell results in an almost theatrical twitching of the stressed leg as the wearer grasps desperately for the handholds in an ill fated attempt to compensate for the lack of quadraceptal thrust necessary to complete the manoeuvre safely.

Once in the cockpit the boots assume a more "passive" role in that they are no longer required to support the wearers body weight nor protect the feet from third party objects. Startup, taxi and take-off are normal events and the boots present little impact on these events. However, climbing to altitude is a different matter. Dr Martin has provided the wearer with an aircushioned sole which at sea level provides very good comfort to the sole of the foot. Unfortunately he has failed to anticipate the sudden reduction in air pressure associated with flight in a non-pressurised machine. The net effect of a gentle climb to say 3000 ft is a gentle, ever increasing feeling of pressure through the normal axis of the foot. This promotes a feeling of the foot being gradually squeezed which, although pleasant at first, soon begins to create a feeling of heat. Eventually, after some 20 minutes or so, the wearer begins to be overwhelmed by the singular desire to remove the offending boot and release the by now tortured digits. Clearly this feeling is associated with restrictions of bloodflow to necessary tissues and invariably leads to numbness and loss of all sensation. Eventually, a little over 1 hour later, the feet have ceased to exist in the wearers conscious mind. Sadly the chronology of this results in the wearer arriving at an offshore installation bearing the full effects of the "pedacal squeeze" with a mind in complete denial as to the existance of the feet.

It is extremely difficult for me to articulate to you the results of attempting to exit a burning & turning Puma without the aid of one's feet. Location of the footwell is impossible and results in a desperate scrabbling of the lower limb (I have deliberately not mentioned the feet as to all intents and purposes they no longer exist). After a controlled "fall" from the cockpit one is left standing on the helideck entirely dispossessed of one's feet. Attempting to move across the deck gives the impression to the wearer of "floating on air" but unfortunately invokes little if any confidence in the deck crew or indeed the inbound passengers who are unfortunate to witness the shambling, aimless, almost drunken waltz of the unfortunate wearer.

Stairs to fuel installations are not for the faint hearted. Only the provision of handrails allows the wearer to slide, fireman like, to the bottom. Ascent is a different matter. Heather Mills may be able to dance with Sir Paul McCartney with only one leg, but I doubt that even she could negotiate stairs with the remaining foot entombed in a depressurised Dr Martin Slip on.

Finally I am compelled to relate to you the words of my 14 year old son upon seeing the boots in the box at the start of the trial and mistakenly believing that his mother had purchased them for him to go to school. He took one look in the box and said under his breath thinking I had not heard "If she thinks I am going to wear a pair of arse bandit boots to school she can F**k right off"

Yours sincerely

FANTASTIC, Hope you liked it!!

Heliport
13th Jun 2002, 00:51
:D :D :D

Old cynic
13th Jun 2002, 08:21
Your're right. Absolutely priceless. I cried laughing.:D

John Eacott
13th Jun 2002, 10:50
You mean they don't fly in Red Wings any more??!!

Priceless, nearly as funny as Ho Lung Chun :D :D :D

Whirlybird
13th Jun 2002, 11:05
:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

yogibear
13th Jun 2002, 12:04
:D :D :D :D :D

buvenbee-hind
14th Jun 2002, 11:59
Skidtube, this is so good i've dragged it over to mil aircrew forum hope you don't mind.
;)

Heliport
14th Jun 2002, 20:21
buvenbee-hind

Haaaang on a minute!!!. :eek: http://www.stopstart.fsnet.co.uk/smilie/spineyes.gif

I put a link to this brilliant post on the mil aircrew forum yesterday - the idea was to encourage mil aircrew to come here!

Oh go on then - but tell the rotary guys they ought to check out the fantastic improved Rotorheads Forum!

buvenbee-hind
14th Jun 2002, 21:51
I'll get me coat:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

buvenbee-hind
14th Jun 2002, 22:00
i've posted this in the mil aircrew forum.
i've recieved a minor slapette from the rotorheads moderator chappie for bringing the text to here as opposed to linking to there,...... still with me ??? anyway he seems like a bloody nice bloke and wondered if you rotory chaps might like to have wee squint at http://www.pprune.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=23 when it all gets too depressing here.

Heliport
14th Jun 2002, 22:24
Don't get your coat! Make yourself at home.

And thanks for giving us a plug on the Mil forum.

You're a gent, Sir. :)

skidtube
16th Jun 2002, 20:28
Glad you are all enjoying it.

If I manage to make one person every day smile that's me happy.

Keep smiling guys! ;) :D :p ;)

Woolf
23rd Jan 2006, 18:01
Bl@@dy funny.

The "Author" is weel known for his diplomacy ..... :} (As seen on TV quite recently)

MBJ
26th Jan 2006, 13:15
Very Good!

I still wear desert boots after 30 odd years of the occasional foray into something new. They are always comfortable - even wear them over goonsuit socks. Just a pity they melt if you stand in Jet A1! :O

chopperman
28th Feb 2006, 05:40
This is an actual report submitted by a CHC pilot a few years ago. It was written in response to a request from the then Chief Pilot, (a certain Lord Melchet), who asked this particular aircrew member to trial some new flying boots before general issue to the pilot workforce. As you have probably gathered they were cr@p and never issued.
Chopperman.

Bronx
28th Feb 2006, 13:16
This reminds me of army days and the great ideas that came from the deskpushers.
I guess they're the same all world over.

stillin1
28th Feb 2006, 13:50
Best giggle I have had in this desert hell hole for 4 months:ok:

Tourist
28th Feb 2006, 18:23
Absolute Genius!

Mike Reheat
28th Feb 2006, 18:35
http://www.aerospaceweb.org/question/aerodynamics/ground-effect/lun01.jpg

Tonkenna
28th Feb 2006, 18:42
I have no doubt they will be standard RAF issue in weeks then:ok: :}

Tonks:E

Up & Away
28th Feb 2006, 18:57
Very amusing..

Got involved in data collection for Bond Helicopters back in the mid eighties.
fatigue stress etc. luckily I was not one of those asked to have a temperature probe up their ....
what next?

coalface
28th Feb 2006, 19:02
Did the author try the boot for size in his mouth? I hear it is big enough.:eek:

Helipolarbear
28th Feb 2006, 20:36
COALFACE>>>>>>The Author may have a big mouth......but he's a damn sight more interesting than you.......................and a lot funnier too!!!!!......YOU SAD KILLJOY!!!!!:}

Heliport
28th Feb 2006, 20:46
YOU SAD KILLJOY!!!!!:}

There always has to be one. :rolleyes:

whoateallthepies
1st Mar 2006, 06:54
Up & Away

I was one of the poor fools who volunteered for the fatigue/stress investigation in the mid-eighties with Bond. And yes, I had a probe up my a*** for a week. A strange experience. What happened to the results of that probe (pun intended!). Does anybody know.

BTW I used to wear those slip-on Doc Martins. I was only following the example of Capt. Bibby. A really funny article though.

:D

bondu
1st Mar 2006, 16:28
whoateallthepies

Capt Bibby!! Now there's a blast from the past!!!!

Who else remembers those ground school sessions when he asked a question on the 332L Super Puma; he'd look at you after the other guy had answered and just when you thought you were safe, he'd say, "Is he right?" :eek:

bondu :ok:

Up & Away
1st Mar 2006, 17:33
I had the full conclusion to the project.
Can't put a hand on it at the mo.. but If I remember correctly it said in brief "Yes very stressful and Yes very fatigue..ing, But.. Unable to compare the levels to other industries". !!
I left in '89 to go fixed wing
Where is Mr Bibby ace Instructor the master of the 332 now??
Well done Bondu lasting 14 years North Sea!!

bondu
1st Mar 2006, 20:12
"..lasting 14 years North Sea"
It's now 16 out of the last 18 years! Getting the hang of it now!:ugh:

bondu :ok:

whoateallthepies
2nd Mar 2006, 03:37
Apart from the a*** probe and other bodily functions being monitored, every trip had a psychologist on the jump seat who wasn't allowed to speak to us yet wrote down EVERYTHING we said, did or ate! I really felt guilty on the 3rd sticky bun.
We had to fill in a "mood" questionnaire every 4 (waking) hours which became interesting after 4 hours at the Runway Inn. Plus there were written tests to be done before walking out and just after landing.
No wonder they came to the conclusion that the environment was "stressful"!
It was a comparatively stress-free workplace when they left.
Bondu.
Your reminiscence of Capt. Bob was classic. Yes I remember the cold sweat of those groundschool days. And the even greater sweat when you were scheduled for a base check with him! Happy days.:hmm:

540DEGREE TorqueTurn
11th Dec 2006, 21:03
not really that funny guys, think you all better go out more...

maybe pommie humour.

Jim Dean
12th Dec 2006, 00:21
Oh come on 540, it may not be rib breaking but it certainly brings a smile to your face, or is it too subtle for you?!

Up & away. If it's the same Bob Bibby you are talking about he's the CASA rep in Adelaide (Oz). Still comes up with some pearlers.

DOUBLE BOGEY
29th Dec 2006, 09:14
Did the author try the boot for size in his mouth? I hear it is big enough.:eek:

I am the author and actually as I recall the boot was big enough but it did not taste very nice, all rubbery and such.

Still it would probably have tasted a lot better than the bile that seems to be in your mouth!!!!!!

(Sorry Mr moderator, it is my first post but I think he desrved that!!!)

Heliport
29th Dec 2006, 10:56
I think your letter was extremely well-written and very very funny.
I thought so when I first read it, and still think so each time someone brings it to the top and I read it again.

Thanks anyway, but no apology necessary in the circs.

Now you've found the forum, hope you'll stay and make further contributions to discussions.

Heliport