PDA

View Full Version : From airline to instruction

triple_2
24th Jun 2015, 06:22
Hi all,

After flying in the airlines for about eight years I would like to change career and become an instructor. Before I started I was a restricted PPL instructor but need to get more qualifications obviously. My question is, where in the world could you find a training organisation who would offer me a good job? Obviously I would prefer Europe, South Africa, USA (no green card though), Australia etc. I am european and have EASA licences.

Thank you very much for your help.

Duchess_Driver
25th Jun 2015, 08:57
Almost anywhere with 8 Years airline experience....

Based on the fact that you say you were restricted I'm guessing it's an EASA/JAR qualification which is reasonably useful worldwide.

With suitable IFR time, I'd work at becoming unrestricted, then complete the IRI add on to the FI. If you have 30 hours P1 MEP (and thence CRI ME) then that would make you very employable almost anywhere.

Question is though, why? After 8 years airlines you're probably used to a 'reasonable' income.... Even top notch, top of the tree instructors aren't going to make anywhere near as much as an airline FO with that much time in post....

GgW
25th Jun 2015, 16:50
With suitable IFR time, I'd work at becoming unrestricted, then complete the IRI add on to the FI. If you have 30 hours P1 MEP (and thence CRI ME) then that would make you very employable almost anywhere.

Not really(unfortunately), most of the bigger schools will not take already qualified CRI's, they promote from within unless you are very experienced on twins.

With your multicrew experience just get your self an MCCi and TRi if you can, guys like you will be very much in demand teaching the advanced phases of the MPL soon.

Duchess_Driver
25th Jun 2015, 22:31
they promote from within unless you are very experienced on twins.

That may be the case in some areas, however there is no getting around the 30 hours P1 in class for the ME CRI and even the bigger schools often baulk at 30 hours 'time building' for an instructor to upgrade internally.

We're a medium school and my budget can't stretch that far. I'd be willing to fund (or do) the upgrade to ME CRI but couldn't afford to fund the time building.

triple_2
26th Jun 2015, 18:29
Thanks guys, the MCC sounds a very good option. The reason why is that I am a little bit done with being a number and that I like to help people, it's way more personal than the airline business. Probably I'll be better off at a place where I can teach from sep to mcc, what would be the nicest one as far as you know? I heard of Flight Safety in Florida and Jerez in Spain for instance.

triple_2
26th Jun 2015, 18:32
And by the way duchess driver, I flew some Piper Chieftain after my initial training so I think I have enough P1 MEP. Please drop me a PM about your school. Thank you

mockingjay
26th Jun 2015, 21:50
I don't doubt your ability or motivation but I'm not sure the big schools will be that interested. These schools sell a dream. That dream is to become an airline pilot. I don't think you would be good PR for them if you know what I'm saying.

For example the students are likely paying £110,000 for a career (well, if you can call it a career these days) and being trained by someone who got fed up of this dream after seven years won't do their slick marketing any good.

Seven years in to their career they'll still be laying back £1000 a month in loan payments etc etc.

triple_2
1st Jul 2015, 14:44
Interesting. You could also say that a person was finally more interested in training than airline flying. Being in training doesn't mean leaving aviation but only choosing a different path, still making a living out of it..

S-Works
1st Jul 2015, 15:23
Its not an easy transition to make but it is rewarding. Just be prepared for the ups and downs that go with it.

I am a Commercial Pilot as well as the Head of Training of a busy school in Jerez. I teach and examine everything from PPL to Class and Type Ratings. Splitting my time between the two jobs gives me an income equivalent to the Lo Co Captains and the ability to chose when and how I want to work.

But its taken many years to get into this position and its not been a cheap route. So you need to understand that certainly for a few years while you gain the Instructional experience and qualifications to expand on it you are going to be on the bread line!!!

Teaching is an incredibly rewarding career and as our forum title states its not the lowest form of aviation, its varied and demanding and never routine!!!

parkfell
1st Jul 2015, 16:10
You are somewhat unusual wanting to transfer to the instructing scene after a comparative short time with the airlines.

I think however mockingjay is somewhat wide of the mark in saying that you would not be welcome. What were you flying for eight years?

On the contrary, your airline experience brings an important dimension to the training world. With 1500 hours+ of multi crew potentially qualifies you down the MCC/JOC route.
Set your sights on professional schools, ideally conducting integrated training.

Let us know how you get on.......good luck

Pull what
4th Jul 2015, 08:33
Full respect to you T2

Flying instruction needs many more people like yourself, many of the GA instructors I've come across are in instruction for various reasons that have little to do with service, vocation or dedication which is one of the reasons standards are low.

Personally I do not think you can be a rounded senior instructor without a background in airline or RAF flying and that's nothing to do with the size of the aircraft, its to do with the professionalism and discipline and the constant goal of finding better and safer ways of doing things. Multi crew flying from both seats also gives you a much wider experience of managing people, which is a valuable skill in instruction.

triple_2
6th Jul 2015, 11:27
Thank you all very much for your positive remarks. I just came back from a visit to Jerez on my days off. A very nice instructor was so nice to show me around. It is an amazing training centre with great people and it felt great to be there, I would be very enthusiastic to work in this environment, especially with the MPL now starting. For the people who were wondering about my background, I am flying A320 for Turkish Airlines now, before I flew quite some years for easyJet and two years in a global VIP operation, 5200 hours total time. My CV has been handed over to the HR, now I wait a little bit until they get in touch with me, hopefully soon.

Mr. Bose-X; just a shame I missed you, hope to meet you soon. Please feel free to pm me if you would like to discuss the possibilities for me in your organisation.

SpannerInTheWerks
6th Jul 2015, 11:40
Jet FO to circa 28,000 Euros working for one of the commercial flight academies is a big step downwards!

Also, you may not be employed on the more advanced training until you have proved yourself instructing on the singles.

Best of luck whatever you choose - I chose not, as the reduction in income would have been unsustainable.

GgW
6th Jul 2015, 22:41
@ pull what
Personally I do not think you can be a rounded senior instructor without a background in airline or RAF flying and that's nothing to do with the size of the aircraft, its to do with the professionalism and discipline and the constant goal of finding better and safer ways of doing things. Multi crew flying from both seats also gives you a much wider experience of managing people, which is a valuable skill in instruction.

Insinuating that you cannot be a "rounded senior instructor" (whatever that is) without a background in airline or RAF flying is simply not true. I know many civilian instructors from various backgrounds that are very professional and constantly looking at ways to improve themself as instructor. End of the its down to the individual and how that instructor is managed.

Pull what
8th Jul 2015, 08:17
Insinuating that you cannot be a "rounded senior instructor" (whatever that is) without a background in airline or RAF flying is simply not true. I know many civilian instructors from various backgrounds that are very professional and constantly looking at ways to improve themself as instructor. End of the its down to the individual and how that instructor is managed.

You've shot yourself in the foot there! If you dont know what a 'rounded senior instructor is' how could you understand what I am insinuating?

However working on tbe assumption that you do indeed know exactly what I mean:

A wide ranging experience also allows you also to understand that we all have different views based upon our own experiences. Your assessment of 'very professional' may well be very different from mine.

In regard to self improvement, the majority of self improvement that instructors seek is in fact moving to an airline. I f you dont believe me go onto any airfield and ask an instructor if he would rather earn his living on an Airbus or a Cessna 152!

nick14
10th Jul 2015, 18:28
Sorry pull what, but I disagree. I am myself both an airline instructor and GA instructor and I know many very rounded and competent GA instructors who have never set foot in anything bigger than a medium twin.

I also don't understand the term 'rounded senior instructor' it seems like something that people have invented to fit a purpose.

I do however agree that different experiences can be beneficial but that are not a requirement and in fact Can also have a negative influence on people depending on how they are used/understood.

Pull what
14th Jul 2015, 01:06
Sorry pull what, but I disagree. I am myself both an airline instructor and GA instructor and I know many very rounded and competent GA instructors who have never set foot in anything bigger than a medium twin.

I also don't understand the term 'rounded senior instructor' it seems like something that people have invented to fit a purpose.

I do however agree that different experiences can be beneficial but that are not a requirement and in fact Can also have a negative influence on people depending on how they are used/understood.

Hilarious, someone else doesnt understand the term 'rounded' but knows very many 'very rounded' instructors.
Anyone who can get a student through a skill test is 'competent' but that doesnt make you a good instructor

nick14
14th Jul 2015, 20:07
I understand the term rounded but not the senior bit, but it's a minor issue.

I again disagree that an instructor who can merely get students through a test is not at all competent, they can just teach the student to fly a defined set of manoeuvres to a set of criteria. Passing a test does not necessarily mean the student is competent.

It's all down to providing the student with the knowledge, skills and attidues with which they can deal with the unexpected and unforeseen that will inevitably occur, IE competence. That is a competent instructor and a competent student. Otherwise it's all hours, event and manoeuvre based, instructor centered training.