PDA

View Full Version : Busselton Airport to be expanded to cater for 'Direct Interstate Flights'....

Ex FSO GRIFFO
20th Jun 2015, 09:33
From this evening's news....Sat. 20th,

Direct interstate flights to WA's South West a game changer, Minister says - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation) (http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-06-20/direct-flights-to-busselton-airport-wa-after-upgrade/6560830)

This should enhance the tourist value of the SW.
Most of the $$'s are from 'Royalties For Regions', with the remainder from the State Dept of Transport, and the Busselton Shire.....

Busselton Shire is putting in $3.5M, reportedly, so does that mean it is now fully supported locally, and 'some local residents' who complain about aircraft noise before / after 'certain times' will now be able to voice their concerns direct to the Shire, or will some 'curfew hours' be introduced...?

Cheers :ok:

Capn Bloggs
20th Jun 2015, 09:56
Busselton Shire is putting in $3.5M
So that's where our rates go... :=

Bunch of hillbillies.

Left_Pedal
20th Jun 2015, 10:29
I shake my head.....

The Busselton Shire is one of the worst Shire's I've previously had to deal with.
For me to have a helicopter tourism operation based at the Busselton Airport the Busselton Shire demanded that a clause be present so that if there were ANY helicopter noise complaints that my approval to operate from the airport would immediately be revoked.

I wonder if that same clause will be present with the major airlines? Of course not.....

The Busselton Shire is just another one of those towns who love the tourism dollar but not the tourism that comes with it.

The entire Busselton Shire (and Augusta Margaret River Shire) need to be totally disbanded and new staff brought in who know how to effectively build a tourism region to benefit the locals and local businesses.

It'll be a matter of time before the NIMBY's start protesting and the Shire's will bow down to them...... again.

:ugh:

Fred Gassit
20th Jun 2015, 10:43
I found the Shire ok to deal with but the locals in the airport vicinity have severely restricted activity there.
On another note Melbourne or Sydney to Busselton sounds weird, would there be the numbers to support it?

gerry111
20th Jun 2015, 12:49
Margaret River's certainly a lovely place to visit, along with the fascinating limestone caves and those interesting towns whose names end in 'up'. (Although a bottle of Vasse Felix Shiraz still remains cheaper to buy at my local Dan Murphy's than at the actual winery cellar door. :sad:)

Perhaps we should be all supporting the upgrades to YBLN provided that we are not local ratepayers? Other people's money spent on airfield improvements has to be a good move?

The thought that there may be a viable market for people to fly there direct from the Eastern states in B737 or A320 aircraft is rather interesting.

A very "courageous decision". ;)

onetrack
20th Jun 2015, 13:12
It's going to be the biggest white elephant that has ever had "Royalties for Regions" funds splurged on it. We're not exactly talking about visitors to Busselton being in the annual multi-millions, are we? :rolleyes:
Then there's the questions of flight timings and airfares. I'm sure Sydney-Busselton tickets will regularly be on discount special - not.
Then there's also the anti-aircraft drug brigade that will be doing it's best to stop increased flight numbers for fear of their cash crops being spotted more often from the air.
They'll be supported in a weird alliance by the anti-aircraft noise brigade, who'll be more vocal than a bunch of boozed-up Irish, at pub closing time.
All in all, it's a poor decision, driven by the wrong reasons, by the wrong people, who have huge surplus funds to splurge on W.A. country towns that otherwise have very little going for them.
This expenditure will join the other long list of R for R expenditure that has been wasted on handfuls of people in rural areas.

josephfeatherweight
20th Jun 2015, 13:52
Apparently there's been zero market research into which airlines are going to be operating these "direct interstate flights."
This is an absolute joke and waste of money.

Clare Prop
21st Jun 2015, 00:53
I remember when the "new" Busselton airport was built about 20 years ago all these things being said then.

It was an improvement on the cow paddock for sure, but it wasn't long before it was forbidden to do a touch and go there in a Warrior for noise reasons.... :ugh:

onetrack
21st Jun 2015, 02:12
Amongst all the hoo-haa and politician back-slapping and vote-buying, there has been a complete failure to note that Busselton is served from Perth by one of W.A.'s best and newest highways - the Forrest Highway - which ensures an easy drive from Perth to Busselton in less than 2.5 hrs.

The difference in ticket prices between choosing Perth or Busselton as your destination will ensure most travellers will choose Perth instead of Busselton.
Add in the fact that Avis are the only car hire company in Busselton (read - no competition), and hiring a car much more cheaply from the hundreds of hire providers in Perth, will make landing at Perth a no-brainer.

I guess the authorities could go the whole hog, make Busselton an international airport, organise direct flights from 100 cities in China, and drop 100,000 confused Chinese tourists annually into the middle of Busselton - where the accommodation is limited to about 20,000 beds annually, with just a couple of resorts and half-a-dozen cheap and nasty motels - and they could wander the streets of the town looking for a feed at 20:00HRS, and finding every single business closed and shuttered, typical of W.A. country towns after sundown. :rolleyes:

On eyre
21st Jun 2015, 03:43
Yep - modern version of PNG cargo cult mentality. Hope they factor in A380 capability in the design phase.

Stikman
21st Jun 2015, 05:09
'Spose they could always transform the jetty into a runway.. :}

sillograph
21st Jun 2015, 08:47
'Spose they could always transform the jetty into a runway.. :}

Do they even have Jet A1?

Currently shows only avgas available. Pretty much sums it up.

onetrack
21st Jun 2015, 09:20
Sillograph - I'm sure, that for the $60M, Busselton will get a fine refuelling arrangement, with the latest in greatest in equipment, storage and choice. The turnaround problems might be in having to wake up the refueller, and wait an hour while he/she gets organised, if you land after sundown. :)

Fred Gassit
21st Jun 2015, 09:29
Its only 20 minutes or so from Perth (1.5 hours coming back of course with the mandatory holding at Mandu etc. etc.) shouldn't need Jet juice for legs that short.
Pity there aren't more places in WA with AVGAS.

topend3
24th Jun 2019, 11:22
https://www.google.com.au/amp/s/thewest.com.au/news/wa/melbourne-to-busselton-direct-flight-set-for-take-off-ng-b881230719z.amp

apparently according to the busso mayor it’s now imminent! And they can build the terminal in just 7 months ! Rumour is JQ but surely they have a profitable place they can send an aeroplane overnight from Melbourne ? Watch this space and the mayor also says direct flights to singapore and China could be hot on the heels hahahaha

YPJT
24th Jun 2019, 12:47
The existing terminal and security setup was designed for a F50 that was usually operating on loads of about 50% capacity.
To upgrade the terminal / build a new one and procure the required equipment in that short space of time is a very bold undertaking.

Well at least the massive 3 x A330 bay apron might see a bit of use apart from the F100 charters to the Pilbara

topend3
24th Jun 2019, 13:14
The design of the terminal and lead time will be 7 months minimum let alone construction time. In the meantime
operate from a tent. Difficult to see how any airline is going to go in there more than once a week.

Global Aviator
24th Jun 2019, 15:58
I heard Scoot were looking at a tag with Tiger bit Scoot aircraft.

Sin - Per - Busso - Per - Sin.

Crew stay Busso, where???

Actually sounds like a kinda airline way to do it. Singapore direct Busso (yeah we know)........

There are actually ****e loads of Singaporens invested in WA.

poteroo
24th Jun 2019, 22:14
The existing terminal and security setup was designed for a F50 that was usually operating on loads of about 50% capacity.
To upgrade the terminal / build a new one and procure the required equipment in that short space of time is a very bold undertaking.

Well at least the massive 3 x A330 bay apron might see a bit of use apart from the F100 charters to the Pilbara

Things at Busso are not good for any form of GA - being kicked out of 'old' terminal, the hangars 'resumed' and new leases decreed, and the activities of local flying schools discouraged. Add to this the incredible audacity in bidding for a QF flying school - when there is not, and never will be, a cross runway there. There will need to be a be a massive re-plan to make an ab initio school viable. This will incentivise the local NIMBY's, who are re-locating, from the Perth metro into the SW, in numbers. The new Forrest Highway is now proving it's worth - such an improvement on the old roads! Once the Bunbury bypass is done, it will bring Busselton within 2.0 hrs of Perth.
happy days,

TTY
25th Jun 2019, 00:01
Looks like the Busso mayor and the mayor of YSTW swap dreams, like spending millions to provide parking for several 737/800s to be used to fly airfreight to Asian destinations but can't comprehend that nobody is using 737's to move freight from the east coast to Asia. It's easy to dream when your spending somebody else,s money.

topend3
25th Jun 2019, 04:06
I heard Scoot were looking at a tag with Tiger bit Scoot aircraft.

Sin - Per - Busso - Per - Sin.

sounds like a profitable operation. 18 minutes in an A320.

YPJT
25th Jun 2019, 04:08
I reckon there is desperation on the part of Busso here.
i wonder if the state government is bringing pressure to bear for the council to deliver on the promises made in their funding submissions.

As Potreroo said, the place is not GA friendly and never really has been which is a shame as there were some really good GA operations trying to make a go of it

Jetjr
25th Jun 2019, 05:30
Several NSW towns done similar, concept was that if the facilities there inc security, longer strips etc the larger flights will come
Now they just have expensive airport to own and run and now ASIC reqd so some GA steer away.
Introduce landing fees and usage decreases further

TTY
25th Jun 2019, 06:16
Yep Armidale next

On eyre
25th Jun 2019, 07:24
So the cargo cult mentality (Ala PNG style) is alive and well - just build a landing strip and the big silver bird will alight dispensing economic goodies ���� - what are they smoking.

Lapon
26th Jun 2019, 03:47
Has anybody outside of WA even heard of Busso? Much less would they be prepared to pay the inevitable premium vs travelling through Perth? A white elephant in the making me thinks.

YPJT
26th Jun 2019, 04:47
A white elephant in the making me thinks
well and truly made now :)
the level of waste here should be the subject of an official inquiry

ECAMACTIONSCOMPLETE
26th Jun 2019, 23:11
Rumour is JQ but surely they have a profitable place they can send an aeroplane overnight from Melbourne ?

Not really!

There are plenty of JQ A320s sitting around Melbourne overnight. At the moment there are only PER and DRW back of the clock services being run out of Melbourne. Don’t forget BOC services only work if you can take advantage of the time zone differences between departure and destination. Hence flying up and down the east coast overnight wouldn’t work.

Also, given that the local council seems to be willing to subsidise the flights, the risk to JQ will be minimal.

The word inside JQ is that these flights are happening, not sure when though.

topend3
27th Jun 2019, 04:14
seems like an abject waste of ratepayers money on something that lacks a logical business case.

topend3
27th Jun 2019, 04:43
https://www.gsherald.com.au/?news/albany-advertiser/tourism-chief-talks-down-jets-ng-b881242441z

Maybe some of these councils should just look at tapping into the millions of tourists who fly to Perth each year and try get them to do drive-in holidays rather than grandiose far-fetched plans to get a route from Melbourne-Albany up and running.

WingNut60
27th Jun 2019, 05:08
Or maybe they could look at getting their prices down enough to start attracting a broader clientele.

Hong Kong 4 star prices for a chalet in the bush? A VERY niche market and very few returners.

topend3
28th Jun 2019, 00:43
Exactly flights are only part of the equation.

topend3
30th Sep 2019, 09:57
The mayors been on the radio again today apparently it’s starting next year Jetstar 3 x weekly to Melbourne. Heavily subsidised apparently I guess which it needs to be !

Global Aviator
30th Sep 2019, 11:32
Could never see direct working.

However a Perth to Busso at a time connecting with international flights?

Yeah wishful thinking...

topend3
30th Sep 2019, 11:54
How the hell are they gunna sell 1100 seats a week ? Laughable.... and they don’t have a terminal there yet either

Global Aviator
30th Sep 2019, 12:06
How the hell are they gunna sell 1100 seats a week ? Laughable.... and they don’t have a terminal there yet either

They would be mighty big 320/21’s at 3 for 1100... or 787’s :)...

No terminal... Didn’t Tiger start with tents in Melb?

Just sayen... :) :) :) :) :)

topend3
30th Sep 2019, 13:19
180 each way equals 360 a day times 3 equals about 1100 using my maths

Global Aviator
30th Sep 2019, 19:52
180 each way equals 360 a day times 3 equals about 1100 using my maths

Yes that would be correct!

Why not get a good Perth - Busso set up if they serious want it to work.

Surely there are plenty of aircraft from Fokkers to busses that would have time during the day.

poteroo
30th Sep 2019, 23:01
Oh, the unhappy residents when Busselton gets night ops with an A320. One of the impositions on all flights into there was/is that there were to be no ops until after 7.30AM, and no training ops at night. Can't see how all the unhappy ratepayers who successfully fought those battles, will rollover and allow heavies into there inside the 'aircraft free' hours they won. The local administration has almost decimated flight training there, yet they had the cheek to offer Qantas a deal to train there! Does not make flying school sense anyway, as the existing runway was fitted to the site, and there is Buckleys of getting a more into wind cross strip. Nice terminal though.

zanthrus
1st Oct 2019, 01:21
F#ck the Busselton ratepayers.

Their were only 4 idiots who objected to operations at the airport. They happened to live either 5 nm on 03/21 extended centreline or just east of the circuit area.

They discovered the Shire had failed to tick a box on the application for the new airport for flight training years ago. They got the EPA involved and since about 2007 no training allowed into Busselton. But if you are a charter in same aircraft that’s ok. Noisy jet RPT are ok too. What a crock if $hit.

poteroo
1st Oct 2019, 05:35
You do have to wonder at the hypocrisy: prostrating themselves for a Qantas flying school when there is a complete ban in place for local flying school operations

topend3
1st Oct 2019, 06:02
Yes that would be correct!

Why not get a good Perth - Busso set up if they serious want it to work.

Surely there are plenty of aircraft from Fokkers to busses that would have time during the day.

Perth - Busselton has been tried numerous times over the years and failed, too close and fares too high. Especially since the new road went in meaning it can be driven in under 2.5 hours

Ex FSO GRIFFO
1st Oct 2019, 06:23
Hi Mr Poteroo,"

The Ch 7 news item, quoting the mayor, did state that the flights 'would' arrive at 0930 and depart at 1010......FWIW...…..

Let's face it...….to 'see' the Margaret River Region and environs, one NEEDS a car. So, arriving from ML, or wherever, a hire car is required, then the 'Region' accommodation, etc etc.

So, I would think it more 'economical' to fly into PER on the presumably cheaper airfare, then a hire car, enjoy the 2.5 hrs trip southbound, enjoy the holiday, and perhaps return to PER via the 'other' highway via Pinjarra, and make it a 'round' trip.

Anyway, I don't really care.....I'm driving down tomorra to see family.....'tis only 2.5 hrs......

Cheeerrsss….

topend3
1st Oct 2019, 07:17
Exactly and if the council wants this for a trial then they should fund any enhancements from local coffers not getting state government funds for something that might last 5 minutes.

Capn Bloggs
1st Oct 2019, 08:17
F#ck the Busselton ratepayers.

Exactly and if the council wants this for a trial then they should fund any enhancements from local coffers not getting state government funds for something that might last 5 minutes.

$13m for 2019-2020 for "Terminal upgrade and Extension"; 3 times more than any other project in the shire! Rediculous!

Griffo, lob a few dollars in the letterbox as you go past, will ya? :{

Ex FSO GRIFFO
1st Oct 2019, 08:42
Aye Cap'n,

That's a ridiculous suggestion. I wuz gunna bite ya for the fuel.....just a few liters of 'A-1' out of the 'daily drain' would do it.....…
:p

Capn Bloggs
1st Oct 2019, 08:59
My perpetual homage to the hallowed "he who shall not be named", Griffo! :}

2000L of kero coming up! Or could I convert it to noise in the vicinity of the airport? That should get the rates down a bit... no 'planes, no ongoing maintenance...

ECAMACTIONSCOMPLETE
4th Oct 2019, 05:19
https://www.news.com.au/travel/travel-advice/flights/jetstar-launches-flights-to-margaret-river-from-melbourne/news-story/3302deedc51b90bf3b41b9242d76e71a

Announced today x3 per week

Capn Bloggs
4th Oct 2019, 05:46
Good. I expect that our rates will start reducing as the dollars roll in, since we bankrolled the airport in the first place.

topend3
4th Oct 2019, 10:36
Yes be interesting to see what the loads are like. I guess it will last at least till the generous subsidies run out. Launch fares at $89 and they also have to build a terminal

Icarus2001
4th Oct 2019, 11:41
Well as to loads.... the CEO of Jetstar said they expect ..."up to 60,000 people to use the service in the first three years".

My basic maths 60,000 divided by 156 weeks = 385 passengers a week. They are planning three flights a week so that is 128 passengers per flight. Averaged over three years. Good luck with that.

On eyre
4th Oct 2019, 14:02
Well as to loads.... the CEO of Jetstar said they expect ..."up to 60,000 people to use the service in the first three years".

My basic maths 60,000 divided by 156 weeks = 385 passengers a week. They are planning three flights a week so that is 128 passengers per flight. Averaged over three years. Good luck with that.

So that is 64 pax each way - yep that’ll pay the bills not - I’ll give it six months max.

Global Aviator
5th Oct 2019, 00:47
At what is it 4 hours each way there would only want to be a handful of $89 seats!

Then again just get the A321XLRXB and do Margaret River direct Bordeaux, project Vino! I think I maybe onto something here! It’s a pet project name so it will work!

Busso car hire places will be happy...

Note - you can fly from the Swan river in Perth to Margaret River airport for $350, not cheap but a cool way to get there.

Back on topic, now how much is that subsidy?

topend3
5th Oct 2019, 03:38
The subsidy is around $6m-$8m for the 3 years according to an article on Australian Aviation. I looked at the launch flight and it’s $385 one way. Then all the flights over the first few weeks couldn’t see anything under $250 one way. Couldn’t see any $89 fares. Won’t be long before the locals are complaining about high airfares LoL

PoppaJo
6th Oct 2019, 04:31
So much negativity. Great to see some expansion in loco point to point regional.

Wellcamp is another for opportunity. Bendigo just getting started. Mareeba is nearly finished its upgrade.

Global Aviator
6th Oct 2019, 05:24
Correct and if a government, region, whatever wants to subsidise a service then it happens.

The question is will the service remain when the subsidy stops?

If the business model stacks up then no doubt it would continue, if not then as we have all seen what happens........

topend3
11th Oct 2019, 04:14
From the west looks like the squabble is on over terminal funding. Be interesting to see if they tart up the existng terminal rather than build on the new site, as it's a long way from the current terminal to the new bays they built (bussing?)

Warren-Blackwood MLA Terry Redman has decried the lack of funding to build Busselton Airport’s promised passenger terminal.

Confirmation Jetstar would start direct flights between Busselton and Melbourne next year was widely welcomed last week, with Regional Development Minister Alannah MacTiernan pledging $3.265 million to bring landing facilities up to scratch.

But it was not the commitment sought by the Capes MLA, nor members of the Busselton Airport Action Group, which warned before Friday’s announcement it did not want to see taxpayers’ money spent on a halfway solution.

Action group spokesman Steve Hayman said the Government had recanted its commitment to the full terminal build three times.

“We want answers from the Government on the airport construction,” he said. “Ms MacTiernan said if we secured an airline, they’d build the terminal.

“That’s happened.

“Now they’re saying ‘in three years time we’ll think about it’.”

Jet Adventures owner and action group member Peter Kalbfell said the issue should concern all South West residents.

“Ms MacTiernan is deliberately holding back this region by not releasing the funds,” he said.

Residents embraced news of the Busselton-to-Melbourne flights, and the action group stressed flights to Sydney and eventually Singapore were up in the air without a proper base.

“They can’t start negotiations until the terminal is constructed,” Mr Kalbfell said.

“Build it in the right spot. Where they want to build the temporary terminal is 500m from the carpark, so it’s in the wrong place.”

The group reiterated calls not to waste money, and to build the terminal — even in stages — at the final location.

Ms MacTiernan said the terminal would be considered in three years when “we’ve got a business case to justify (it)”.

The planned upgrades were “for a very modest price”. Future flights, and hopes still for a Qantas pilot academy, would prove the need for a terminal, she said.

“Fundamentally, this was not about a terminal,” Ms MacTiernan said. “This was about airline services.”

– and what we’ve managed to secure, working with our partners, is the service, a good quality service that can be accommodated in the existing terminal with a few minor upgrades.”

Mr Redman said it was time for the minister to release the $10 million set aside for the terminal.

“Minister MacTiernan committed to fund the terminal upgrade once a contract was signed with an airline,” he said. “However, she then shifted the goalposts and reneged on this promise.”

Vasse MLA Libby Mettam said the terminal was crucial, and the minister should stop referring to the three-year flights plan as a “trial”.

“Jetstar isn’t calling it a trial,” she said. “It’s now time for the Government to step up.”

Ms Mettam also said tourism figures released this week reiterated the need to plan for more visitors.

TTY
15th Dec 2020, 23:56
I see Coulson's c130( bomber 132) on it's way to it's new base in Busselton , I wonder how that will go down with the locals?

aroa
16th Dec 2020, 02:21
PoppaJo.. YMBA upgrade now 'complete' apart from a few major muck ups and required rectifications.
Taxiways say 5700 kg limit...not to worry ATRs parking up 20,000kg +?
Since CNS an hour away, no viability in any RPT thru here.
Cheaper parking so a place where aircraft come to die, or depart and crash after being left idle for years.
Or head off to PNG for....?? And the last one never came back.
RAAF might want to base here too, now that the Chinese are going to buld a major port at Daru., and this is not in the South China Sea either.
Bussrlton Council is no different from any other, bureaucrats therein see themselves as very smart business people and just love spending money...other peoples.

Capn Bloggs
16th Dec 2020, 04:02
I see Coulson's c130( bomber 132) on it's way to it's new base in Busselton , I wonder how that will go down with the locals?
Pretty well, I expect. They'll be able to put the dumper on "light" and cruise up and down the beaches in formation with the shark-spotter chopper, cooling off all the confined-to-land beachgoers! :ok:

Ex FSO GRIFFO
18th Dec 2020, 10:26
Well I rekkon 'they' the NIMBYS.... will HATE it ...with a vengence.....right up to the time that the BIG BAD FIRE approaches their back (or front) fence.....and then, and ONLY THEN......'they' will EMBRACE it..!!!!

AND.... be ETERNALLY GRATEFUL

ONYA Coulson's....!!!! LUVLY SOUND, that Herc !!!!

Ex FSO GRIFFO
12th Jan 2021, 08:04
As stated in the 'other' thread re YBLN, JQ today announced that they ain't a comin' to YBLN just yet.
Flights from MEL delayed due the Vic Boarder wouldn't get out of bed.....OOpppss... that shud read ...the COVID has struck agin....
21 June next scheduled 'guess'.......

Ah well.....'Twas a great idea......At the time.....