PDA

View Full Version : Thailand now Cat 2

FO767
18th Jun 2015, 19:03
Looks like the thai DCA weren't able to turn things round in 90 days. No shock there. Thai aviation sector 'red flagged' for safety - BBC News (http://www.bbc.com/news/business-33181534)

Is that the last straw for the charters operating out of there ?

ZFT
18th Jun 2015, 20:20
I suspect the EASA announcement due on 25th June will be of more significance.

reynoldsno1
18th Jun 2015, 23:51
I believe the DG has been demoted to a subordinate position prior to his retirement in September.. The new DG is a former deputy DG, and has stated she will turn around the DCA in a few weeks prior to her retirement in September :rolleyes: Deck chairs on the Titanic comes to mind ...

piratepete
19th Jun 2015, 10:23
Thailand is certainly NOT YET CAT 2, however it is certainly and correctly, in my opinion, RED FLAGGED, by ICAO and CAT 2 may follow, a severe penalty really.Instead of simply lowering the status of countries like Thailand in these matters how about some UN assistance to drag them forward on flight safety issues? It is common knowledge amongst expat pilots working in Thailand that a lot of weak oversight takes place and there is high degree of suspicion that both nepotism and possibly corruption is at work behind the scenes.How can this be tackled to improve safety? A very difficult issue to tackle.

The very young age and thus most likely lack of experience at work in the PIC seat of many low cost outfits coupled with dodgy practices like getting paid based upon ontime performance certainly encourages crews to attempt unsafe landings in thunderstorms and this is borne out by the regular runway over runs and other various excursions into the grassy/non paved areas.........STUPID.UNSAFE.DANGEROUS.I WISH THIS WOULD STOP.

captjns
19th Jun 2015, 12:19
Certain carriers operating into Japan, China and Singapore were going to be banned if not be subject to detailed Safety Assessment of Foreign Aircraft (SAFA)

From an article in the Bangkok Post 30 March, 2015

More countries join Japan, Korea in restricting Thai carriers | Bangkok Post: news (http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/transport/512592/more-countries-join-japan-korea-in-restricting-thai-carriers)

ZFT
20th Jun 2015, 07:03
piratepete,

The main issue for ICAO (as I’m sure you most likely know) is the way AOCs are handed out so easily. The reasons are probably nepotism and possibly corruption but now that’s immaterial. EASA also raised the same concern, amongst others some time ago and next week I fear they will take severe action.

Here LCCs with few exceptions does equate to low quality, low standards and as you put it “dodgy practices” because of poor oversight and the only way to force the Thai DCA into restructuring is by sanctions. Like any organisation however, there are some good guys there trying!

Hopefully the carriers who do adopt international practices and are IOSA registered and audited, the training organisations who adopt international practices and are EASA qualified and audited and the MROs who adopt international practices and are EASA qualified and audited will somehow be exempt from the sanctions and not tarred with the same U R brush!!!

The remainder will hopefully be rightfully trashed.

FO767
23rd Jun 2015, 06:02
Has the trashing started ?

Heard that DCA has grounded 2 airlines. Asia Atlantic and Asian Air. How quickly will the others follow ?

Metro man
23rd Jun 2015, 06:44
Orient Thai has to be next then.;)

FO767
23rd Jun 2015, 07:08
I was thinking Jet Asia would be next ;)

ZFT
23rd Jun 2015, 07:13
The DCA have plenty to choose from! (Why concentrate on B767 operators only?)

FO767
23rd Jun 2015, 08:43
My sources only know what is going on with 767 operators. It possible other airlines are being trashed too.

ZFT
23rd Jun 2015, 09:54
Understood.

Pin Head
23rd Jun 2015, 20:11
Careful what you say guys. Rumour only is dangerous.

Roti Canai
24th Jun 2015, 05:26
I should come over and see this for yourself then Pinhead.

FO767
24th Jun 2015, 08:25
Thanks Pinhead, that's why I said I'd heard rather than said for definite. This is a rumour network after all. :)

TSRABECOMING
24th Jun 2015, 12:17
Lacking of expert personnel in aviation is the major problem in Thai DCA. need to wait and see.

kwaiyai
24th Jun 2015, 12:17
I read KAN are in trouble for being a Charter AOC yet were running Schedule Flights all over Thailand?.

9STAR is also a good example of what ZFT said as well. I suspect they are in a
poo poo lake in a boat with no paddle this time. op, A320's somewhere.

lee_apromise
24th Jun 2015, 12:55
Apparently 9star is in deep poo financially. :E

FO767
24th Jun 2015, 13:17
Which thai operator isn't in deep financial poo ? Apart from the state bailed out TG !

piratepete
25th Jun 2015, 02:50
There are two main issues in Thailand.First is the lack of proper staffing at Thai DCA.This leads to poor airline oversight which is what ICAO is really saying....at the end of the day a flight safety problem.Unfortunately DCA only make the Thai carriers suffer for this, which is not really their fault at all, its at a Government level.
Second issue which always seems to manifest itself in a flight safety effect, is that there are just too many Thai carriers either poorly financed or unable to make a profit due to all of them chasing the same business.This leads to many of them cutting corners for cost control reasons, eventually allowing too many holes to "line up" in the swiss cheese, leading to possible incidents or an accident.This is the REAL concern.Pete.

Pin Head
25th Jun 2015, 12:03
So it was all rumour then?

FO767
25th Jun 2015, 18:30
Can't see Asian Air on Flight Radar site. Asia Atlantic are still running though.

So looks like rumours unless anybody else is wiser.

Pin Head
25th Jun 2015, 22:39
Thanks. Again peeps rumours can make or break people/companies.

I think we should respect that.