PDA

View Full Version : BNE slow arrivals

RodH
17th Jun 2015, 23:12
I have ben watching BNE arrivals and departures on " Flt. Radar " and cannot understand why BNE ATC requires such a large separation between arrivals . Sure, the viz was down to 350 metres but even when it was 1000M + they still want 5 minutes between arrivals . I was watching one approach when a QF flight was on a 10 km ILS final and another was waiting at the holding point to take off but they had to wait until the approaching aircraft had landed.
That seems to be a ludicrous amount of time between arrivals and departures even if the viz is low. Surely ATC don't really need such large separations !!!!
:confused::confused::confused:

chuboy
17th Jun 2015, 23:47
Flightradar does not show every aircraft in the sky. You can listen to the ATC on the internet if you want to get an idea of what the activity levels around YBBN are actually like at a particular time of day.

RodH
18th Jun 2015, 00:18
I always have the " live ATC " on at the same time so I do hear all of the aircraft in the area .

1Charlie
18th Jun 2015, 02:18
The restriction is to do with aircraft moving around on the ground. Only one aircraft is permitted to move at a time on the runways and taxiways because no one can see anything. For this reason large time intervals are required between arrivals.

megle2
18th Jun 2015, 02:47
What Charlie says
ATC have applied for 3 seperate tarmac zones to improve movement rates
I think it's with casa for approval

RodH
18th Jun 2015, 05:12
One thing I took for granted is that BNE would have a ground Radar but it would seem from the replies regarding the restricted taxiway use etc. that is not so .
Given that may be the case I can understand the slow procedures necessary under these conditions.
:ok::ok:

1Charlie
18th Jun 2015, 06:49
The tower does have surface movement radar but it is a situational awareness tool only. It can't be used for separating aircraft in low viz. The application to use it for this has been sent to casa but these things take time. Given BNE rarely has fog other matters take priority.

framer
18th Jun 2015, 08:40
Isn't YBBN CAT 1 ? Ie only departures once the RVR drops below 550?
I haven't been there in a while so I'd be keen to know if it's something different.

eternity
19th Jun 2015, 15:05
Even at large airports like Tapei, Beijing, Incheon, Narita etc that have low vis procedures, low vis taxi routes and 'all singing all dancing' ground radar things are incredibly slow. Only one aircraft allowed in certain zones at certain times, max 10kts taxi speed (for most airlines), all preflight activities completed before taxi, mandatory reporting points etc etc.
When you line up, all lights off for rwy assessment, static toga take-off......plus landing aircraft have to land and rollout to the end of the rwy.....all these things take time.....and cause horrendous delays......and this is at airports with well established low vis procedures........I could only imagine at BNE with 'gnd radar' for advisory purposes and no designated low vis taxi routes that it would be very slow going indeed!!!!!!

donpizmeov
19th Jun 2015, 16:35
I think the toga and roll to the end stopped some time ago. But things do slow down.