PDA

View Full Version : Well if you say so Mark!

Just Do It
17th Jun 2015, 06:45
Off course I will sign up to Yammer, check crew direct and while I'm at it I will sign up for training.

Thanks for a great laugh with your latest NTC!

boxjockey
17th Jun 2015, 07:10
Of course you haven't. CX is everything to some of these managers, is it really any surprise?

box

AQIS Boigu
17th Jun 2015, 07:59
So didn't they tell us a while back that checking the CFP or Crew Direct during your rest period or on your only 1 in 7 could be a a problem when investigated by the authorities in case of an aircraft incident.

Is Yammer excluded?

Where are the (AOA) lawyers?

OK4Wire
17th Jun 2015, 08:09
What a load of rubbish!

And who is "Dela" anyway?:O

I'll be informed after CC have spoken to me. Oh, wait...

CISTRS
17th Jun 2015, 08:21
http://i1227.photobucket.com/albums/ee422/pimlican/YAMMER_zpshcq0year.gif

CokeZero
17th Jun 2015, 08:25
So Yammer is now an OFFICIAL company app???? I thought it was purely optional?

MH - can you please tell us whether or not it's official before bleating on about it. I know for some time you have been bleating on Yammer about how great it is - PLEASE - half of us (those not on the Boeing) don't use it and the other half just use it to post pictures of crappy meals and bitch about staff travel.

When it becomes an official company application that delivers company training material and Notices to Crew - I will use it. But I won't use it when the company says its an unofficial social media site. I have enough of Twitter, FB, Yahoo, Google Groups, etc....

kenfoggo
17th Jun 2015, 08:42
You could just Google "yammer hacked" and see some horror stories of how your personal details can be phished from this social media site.

Shep69
17th Jun 2015, 08:57
In a related story, Emerson Biggins, spokesman for Boeing, announced today that it would cease providing customers with information regarding service bulletins and Airworthiness Directlves on their product. Customers are advised to check their Facebook page or Twitter accounts for any official or critical information.

Yonosoy Marinero
17th Jun 2015, 09:21
Yammer is a tool used to promote corporate communication.
It works just like Facebook, and has proven quite effective in encouraging internal comms within businesses, especially among the Y generation, the primary user of everything 'social' on the internet.

It works fine because the target audience is used to that kind of platform and is sitting behind a connected office computer 5 days/weeks 8 hours/day...

Now, if you try to apply that to aviation, especially pilots, you find yourself trying to communicate with a group of people who do not come to work everyday and when they do, they do not use a company computer.

Yammer is like any other socialthingamabob.com: it's confusing, disheveled, completely obscure to anybody above 40 and absolutely useless unless to plan to check it everyday, as the flow of irrelevant info quickly drowns any interesting information nugget you might find on there.

I'm sure a workaholic like MH who clocks in more hours than the office plant finds it the best thing since the invention of the urinal cake, but I'm predicting little turnout among aircrews. The increasingly persuasive tone with which it is being advertised seems to confirm that...

I for one, and I never thought I'd say this, prefer the good old 30 pages newsletter.
:oh:

Pucka
17th Jun 2015, 11:41
Ain't doing it..stick it right where it hurts..gen NTC or don't bother publishing..another manager with a circuit breaker popped..

mcdude
17th Jun 2015, 13:48
Dan Buster

The CX World magazine is in the public domain.

http://www.cathaypacific.com/cx/en_HK/about-us/press-room/cx-world-online.html

White None
17th Jun 2015, 14:36
OMG it really is! LMFAO

(WO40NDY)

Progress Wanchai
17th Jun 2015, 14:37
It's comforting to know that Dick's moronic updates arent going to simply disappear into folklore. Not while Swire continue to "upgrade" from within.

Firstly, a plea for those on a base who have chosen lifestyle over work to reconsider.

Then the following day an order to check for delays thru Bekol prior to leaving home.

You could write a best seller about this circus.
Maybe even two.

White None
17th Jun 2015, 14:39
Missed that - what was the Lifestyle vs Base Nugget

cannot
17th Jun 2015, 14:50
I think the main point is that most of the crew " have their hands in the air cause they just don't care "
So please don't Yammer on and on

Shutterbug
17th Jun 2015, 15:33
I can't believe people are signing up for this. This is a lose-lose proposition. If you have any critique that you are comfortable to voice via the app, undoubtedly it will be recorded against you. If on the other hand you have an accidental brilliant idea, the godheads will simply swipe it, pass it off as their own piece of brilliance and get the bonus padding and kudos to go along with it.

Lose. Lose.

monster330
17th Jun 2015, 17:10
It seems nothing's changed in Cathay. Totally disgraceful.

bottom of the barrel is being scraped.

How low can it go for you guys?

So glad I left last year.

Disgraceful.

CISTRS
17th Jun 2015, 23:49
Dan Buster
mcdude is correct - this is public domain.
I do not have access to CX networks.

fire wall
18th Jun 2015, 04:29
Dan, I normally just laugh at some of the inane or ridiculous statements on this "rumour" network but in your case I think I must make an exception.
For anyone to believe that "passport tracking systems" are available to anyone other than a government agency is beyond belief, regardless of your "reliable source". Suggest you tell the cleaner / maid / mistress / whomever your reliable source is that perhaps they are holding on too tight - yep that's right, throttling the sausage. Take it easy, it will drop off without a blood supply.
"Sure Henry, I'll hold the line whilst you patch thru to the Immigration Dept South Tower, perhaps even a conference call with the US Border Protection Dept as well"
In short I call bullsh1t on this one, but hey - what would I know, I'm just a secret govt agent !

missingblade
18th Jun 2015, 04:51
firewall -

Not that I know or have any info - but I don't see why it wouldn't be possible for them to quite easily track our Id travel through the Id travel bookings and payment systems?
Nothing to do with immigration.

As you know the effort is being made right now to go through the last few years worth of ID travel for all pilots to find guys that have started duty without adequate rest after commuting - several people have recently been in trouble over this - and a few more are about to get punished for past sins as they are found out....

Frogman1484
18th Jun 2015, 05:04
As you know the effort is being made right now to go through the last few years worth of ID travel for all pilots to find guys that have started duty without adequate rest after commuting - several people have recently been in trouble over this - and a few more are about to get punished for past sins as they are found out....

while they are doing this, they are still PXing guys to a destination and getting them to operate straight away!

What is the difference of a guy flying in from BKK in the morning and operating in the afternoon compared to PXing to Bkk and operating back in the afternoon!?:ugh:

ByAirMail
18th Jun 2015, 06:26
Goog luck finding my second passport and my Star Alliance loyalty card. Do I detect some commute envy Missing blade? Just do it, and be responsible.

Birddog1671
18th Jun 2015, 07:39
Major problem with Yammer. It does not work on my trusty Nokia 6100. Awesome Phones.

If I was provided with a company paid for smart device that included the company paying for the data plan that i would need to access Yammer and then pay for the electricity bill to keep said device charge then maybe I might consider joining Yammer but I think I have a greater chance of it snowing in July in Hong Kong then that ever happening.

spleener
18th Jun 2015, 15:07
This social enterprise Yammery thing seems okay on the face of it:

Cutting edge technology boosting company communications and engagement etc etc - blahblah.
That same Big Brother technology empowers the company to track those exact markers - communications and engagement: Identifying subject matter/trends through key-word phrase search, identifying individual employees engagement and usage patterns, enabling the tailoring of communications via identified "Champions".

Perhaps I'm over reacting, and maybe MH just needs a win after the EFB debacle, but I find it all very Orwellian: Recall the last few lines of 1984 : "But it was all right, everything was all right, the struggle was finished. He had won the victory over himself. He loved Big Brother."

ByAirMail
18th Jun 2015, 15:09
I wouldn't wish a commuter's lifestyle on my worst enemy.

Now there is real envy. Let me see, 3 hour commute in business class with a choice of airlines very 40 minutes. Blue sky, a house so big some of the rooms are empty, a back yard where my kids can fall out of the tree's ( yes they can climb trees and no, there is no sign board requiring safety helmets). A cost of living 1/3 of Hong Kong, hanging out with expats and local friends that don't know or care who CX is... I'll stop there for now.

Manage the commute bit sensible, and the lifestyle make for happy healthy kids. But thats another threat all together. Back to Yammer.... That social thing I would't recommend to my worst enemy.

Just Do It
19th Jun 2015, 00:28
what's a Dela?

According to Google its a Pickle. That's exactly what I would say Mark is in.

landrecovery
19th Jun 2015, 00:44
So to sum up, the people complaining about Yammer are doing it on prune :sad:

That's ironic! 😋

Just Do It
19th Jun 2015, 01:58
landrecovery,

What is the difference between Yammer and PPRuNe?

Just Do It
19th Jun 2015, 02:00
landrecovery,

Its been 45 seconds do you need some help?

controlledrest
19th Jun 2015, 02:05
Dear Mark

Short answer: Get F**ked.

Longer answer: If you want to communicate with me post a NTC or amend the manuals (and send me details of the amendments - not just a notice that an amendment has been made - I don't know how the current non-system can be legal). My time is my own, don't expect me to spend the short time I have between patterns looking at various feeds from the company.

It is a legal requirement for me to have the recovery periods free of all company duties. To me this includes sudo-offical operational information via an app I have no interest in at all.

Captain Dart
19th Jun 2015, 02:21
PPrUNE: a web site I log on to voluntarily with my own computer in my own free time for my own pleasure and education. While 90% of the posts are rubbish or irrelevant to me, there are nuggets of information, news, humour, gossip, history and technical details about subjects in which I am interested.

YAMMER: a web site which I am brazenly being asked to voluntarily access with my own computer, uncredited, in my own free time prior to commencing a duty period in order to assist a manager in a large corporation to cover for its lack of foresight regarding crew numbers, reserve capabilities and industrial relations. This is in addition to absorbing FCOM, IntraCX, Outlook, NTC, Fleet Fora, 'Newletters', OPS Manuals, online courses and so it goes on.

By the way, my fleet had a major SOP change months ago and we are STILL working off a NTC (procedures still not in FCOM). And how's that EFB project going? It really is 'GA with jets'.

CISTRS
19th Jun 2015, 04:25
http://i1227.photobucket.com/albums/ee422/pimlican/JamesTongYammer_zpsk7hcgtmg.gif

arse
19th Jun 2015, 07:17
http://i58.tinypic.com/2moxqic.jpg

Arfur Dent
19th Jun 2015, 07:59
We're supposed to be in CC. Therefore, unless it states in your contract that you MUST be signed up to this Yammer nonsense, then don't sign. How hard is that?? If you signed - unsubscribe right now. Then it will obviously go away and our gallant leaders will look more than a little foolish, which they should, because they are.........

CISTRS
19th Jun 2015, 08:07
our gallant leaders will look more than a little foolish

They most certainly are stupid. Daft as brushes. Trashing the brand.
The sh!t they make available in the public domain is crazy.
Do they REALLY think that customer readers of CX World or members of the Marco Polo Club give a to$$ about their Yammer program?
:ugh:

VR-HFX
19th Jun 2015, 10:13
CFIT .. yammers meet yak...love your work Arse.

A cursory glance at the dictionary does provide some insight into how management may have come up with this hair-brained idea.

Yammer

Verb

to utter or whine in a complaining or peevish manner
to make (a complaint) loudly or persistently
(intransitive) (esp of an animal) to howl or wail plaintively or distressingly; yelp or yowl

Noun

Also: yammering. a whining sound, wail, or utterance
nonsense; jabber

Derived Forms

Yammerer noun

Word Origin
Old English geōmrian to grumble, complain; related to Old High German iāmar misery, lamentation, Old Norse amra to howl

Yam

Someone who moderates the Yammers.

valhalla634
19th Jun 2015, 11:15
Now that RH has left it is nice to have demented emails from MH to look forward to reading! Quite amusing.

main_dog
19th Jun 2015, 12:02
Shame, because he's a damn sight smarter than RH ever was... but just as disconnected from the general morale at the coalface, it would seem.

Pucka
19th Jun 2015, 12:10
But he's Australian...I'll get my hat

Will IB Fayed
19th Jun 2015, 18:41
Arse, I know the term "LOL" is overused these days, but in my case it was true. A classic cartoon with a timely edit. Piss funny.

CISTRS
20th Jun 2015, 08:58
They want to develop Yammer as a communication tool for FOP.

Good luck to you guys...

http://i1227.photobucket.com/albums/ee422/pimlican/CPA_zpsw7ne2bg9.gif

Arfur Dent
20th Jun 2015, 09:21
Perfect opportunity to take no part and watch this potentially spectacular own goal from the sidelines.

CISTRS
20th Jun 2015, 09:29
The third bullet point indicates that Contract Compliance is seen as a "crisis event or period"

Coordinate and develop communications during crisis events or periods (i.e. Industrial Action / Contract Compliance) working closely with FOP senior leaders and CCD media team.

Shep69
21st Jun 2015, 23:28
The fact that they lump the two together is very telling (when in reality they are completely different animals) and is frankly a level of convenient propaganda (with real world consequences in terms of RPs and the latitude given to essentially violate them). As we move forward this needs to kept in mind when evaluating the language of any proposed RPs.

This is the only place in the universe that I can think of when following one's contract is viewed as a form of "crisis event" -- when at most other airlines it's defined and expected behaviour.

So it appears in ANY type of RP agreement fuzzy language (which we've all seen) will be exploited when any self-defined 'crisis event' happens. An important thing to remember. We seem to always meet this criteria at the convenience of those running the place.

AND need to make sure ANY future agreement doesn't allow for it.

SOPS
22nd Jun 2015, 02:19
I am lost for words....you guys following your contract is a crisis? What kind of BS is that?

Trafalgar
22nd Jun 2015, 02:35
You haven't seen BS until you've seen CX BS. It's at a whole different level...

goathead
22nd Jun 2015, 04:46
Too funny the whole thread is just beyond hilarious
In all of my time viewing pprune this thread tops my ratings as the most amusing event in the history of fragrant harbour well done MH YOU LEGEND ! :D:D:D:ok:

positionalpor
22nd Jun 2015, 11:39
First class airline third world manners from mngt.
On a different note; It is preposterous that such a profitable airline is so keen on penny saving with the very peoples who generates them millions.

Hedo Rick
24th Jun 2015, 16:32
I don't Yammer :=

Just in case I sit on my phone and upload an incriminating image of me "Harbour Bridging" a Sunday special from New Makati.

The Rippin and the Tearin

cluin44
5th Jul 2015, 23:39
Yammer Hoey has made a fool of himself. It beggars belief that professional pilots would sign up for it.

Intrax
6th Jul 2015, 03:04
Yammer is a useful tool to pick their next bunch needles from the haystack !

Pathos
6th Jul 2015, 09:56
Yammer is yet another diversion from the reality that pilot 'managers' have spectacularly failed to protect professional line pilots.

VR-HFX
6th Jul 2015, 10:21
Yammer is yet another way of pretending to communicate without having to actually communicate.

I for one refuse to believe that you can have any meaningful discussion unless it is face to face. Having found myself on a potential cull list many years ago, I confronted some of the characters in the Star Chamber (after one of them called me to alert me of the fact). Their demeanour told me a lot about where the company was headed. Since that day I have been in CC.

As a team player and a go-the-extra-mile person, this taught me one thing; we can all stand up as individuals against mindless tyranny. When you look someone in the eye and ask them to explain, invariably they will back off.

This company has seriously lost the plot and until we all start communicating again face-to-face, it will only get worse.

FWIW FX

zygot44
13th Jul 2015, 19:55
Yammer. Really?

Anotherday
14th Jul 2015, 00:33
As a team player and a go-the-extra-mile person, this taught me one thing; we can all stand up as individuals against mindless tyranny. When you look someone in the eye and ask them to explain, invariably they will back off.

Umm, nope you just get added to any next cull list, a phone call is made as you walk out of the office and lucky you receive a Management line check with about a days notice.

But be my guest, speak your mind, and let us know how that works out for you..........

VR-HFX
14th Jul 2015, 10:56
Another

To be quite frank, after 30 years, I don't really care. The last line check was a breeze as no-one had any points to score.

I am on a bigger cull list...one deigned from higher authorities than CX management, so why should I be intimidated. I was once and it was a very bad feeling. The only remedy was to confront those who I thought were responsible. You soon find that Cowards Castle has no moat and no drawbridge, and certainly not the cover of ridiculous things like Yammer.

My current reality is that the company needs me more than I need them. They rely upon my reservoir of nostalgic goodwill and the fact that I do more for them on the line than they can ever do in the current C&T regime and more than I could do when I was in said regime.

It must be so because I am still around.QED.

What they are doing to all you younger folk is deplorable and if I had but a modicum of courage I would do what many buddhist monks in Tibet have been doing for years.

Unless one is able to settle into a calm and collected mindset ( I think there are about two dozen of us left), life in this company in 2015 is, no doubt, rather stressful.

I have been fortunate enough to have seen the best of this company from tje days when it was smaller than Dragonair is today. I have also seen the rapid decline and the concomitant infighting that has become the norm.Some of the discord has come from within our own ranks and much from the management trying, in their own inadequate way, to address economic realities.

I can but wish you all the best and advise that unity, although hard to achieve in a place like HK, is the only weapon available.

Pucka
14th Jul 2015, 14:59
....and as worse as things become..have you tried staff travel lately??biz FOC..one seat only with 3 travelling..we dispatch with a spare in biz..me in ey....wtf?..and then 2 out of 3 bags don't arrive?..and where were they?...still in HK!check in staff are getting seriously vindictive..it's time to put our balls on the line and begin dismantling this corporate arrogance from the ground up.what a Fecked up mob....

Yonosoy Marinero
14th Jul 2015, 16:26
from higher authorities than CX management

Blasphemy! There is no such thing.
God himself comes down to the 9th floor on 8 scenic road for advice.