PDA

View Full Version : BA Citiexpress F/O recruitment advert in this week's Flight

Luke SkyToddler
23rd Jul 2001, 19:24
The newly merged Brymon / BRAL / Cityflyer, collectively known as BA Citiexpress, have at long last run a recruitment advert for FO's in this week's Flight International.

Minimum requirements are a FATPL with current IR, Perf A and class 1 medical, with either 1000 hours TT, or else a CAP509 graduate with at least 50 hours in the last 12 months. They would particularly like to hear from you if you have a type rating on Bae 146 / DHC8 / EMB145 / ATP / J41.

The number to call for an application form is 0870 242 0033. Good luck boys and girls :cool:

HomerSimpson
23rd Jul 2001, 20:13
Doh!
I've 300 hours CPL/IR of which 100 are multi with an MCC (B727). But unfortunately Im not a CAP509er. Was there any details info with regards to being self sponsored on the modular route?

Homer

tas
23rd Jul 2001, 23:28
Homer

I called them this afternoon......and they are only interested in 509ers or 1000+hrs

tas

schuler_tuned
24th Jul 2001, 00:23
it should be the other way round, should'nt it?
non cap 509 normally means that you've had to study whilst holding down some kind of demanding job, if it pays enough to fund this ridiculous goal that we have, it's not going to be a deck-chair collector, is it!
usually with the pressure of sustaining a family and all the obligations that brings.
so that satisfies the determination requirements. as for the benefits, well short term aquisition of knowledge invariarably means short term loss.
no disrespect meant to to anyone, the standards of examination are the same for everyone, which is the whole point, it's descriminatory to restrict low hours to cap 509, and , well it just pisses me off.
that's the real world for you, and the one essential quality for a prospective life in aviation- sense of humour.........

HomerSimpson
24th Jul 2001, 05:50
I phoned them anyway. The lady I spoke to was very helpful however, if you don't have 1000 hours or have completed a CAP509/intergrated course dont bother phoning.

It does seem to discriminating that just because you didnt complete your training under a intergrated route but may have more hours especially twin time than the average 509er you're not allowed to apply.

It really annoyed me, but then I guess BA is handling the recruitment and they have to push Oxfords Marketing campaign for them as its just gone up in price.

Seen as we all have the licence at the end of the day with MCC and Performance A, I'm not a happy teddy.

A pissed off HomerSimpson :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Upside
24th Jul 2001, 16:56
Any idea how many fo'S they want and where ?

Ivan Ivanovich
24th Jul 2001, 17:46
I also called this morning. I have just over 900 hours, however they really are sticking to 1000 hours or ab initio.

However the lady - helpful and pleasant - advised that they were looking for 85 pilots and that recruitment wouls be ongoing. So time for those nearly there to get there!

Good luck, everyone.

Ivan

TheNavigator
24th Jul 2001, 19:49
I still fail to compreend what is the difference (in terms of qualifications) between the two routes!

Do you get an Integrated ATPL and a Modular ATPL?? May be one day they come up with different requirements to unfreeze the license! 1,500 hours for integrated and 3,000 for modular (to keep the costs high) :mad:

This is absolutely unfair and it might be illegal.

If both routes are approved by the JAA what is the reasoning behind this descrimination??

[ 24 July 2001: Message edited by: TheNavigator ]

Ennie
24th Jul 2001, 20:01
:mad:

Might be illegal, hmmm, I think not

Lucifer
24th Jul 2001, 20:04
Cityflyer is not part of CitiExpress. Read the ad

tas
24th Jul 2001, 22:14
Do not worry boys & girls........our time WILL come

prob30
25th Jul 2001, 00:29
One thing I picked up when deciding modular/full time course from airlines was that hey prefer you to do a full time course under one roof. The thinking is that by doing it in 14 months or so you don't slip in to bad habits etc. This is where your choice of flying school comes in becasue obviously they want to know who taught you. Unfair I agree cos we all hold the same liscence but they hold the keys so give them what they want.

Upside
25th Jul 2001, 21:17
Would anybody happen to know how many of the 85 will be FO'S? Will bases remain the same as the BRAL/Brymon bases and will the route stucture be merged, expanded or will routes be axed? Or to put it another way do we know anything other than that which may be gatherd from the advert?

READY MESSAGE
25th Jul 2001, 22:01
Seems grossly unfair for modular students who have done the exams, gone straight into the CPL and then the IR, who have done it all at one of the FTOs who train Integrated along side Modular students. Same instructors, same classrooms, same exams, same timescale....I don't see the difference.

With the implementation of JAR, isn't CAP509 a thing of the past anyway as it only covered CAA licensing?

Oh well, another one bites the dust!

RM
'Campaigning for equal rights for Modular Students'

Airborne Hamster
25th Jul 2001, 22:38
Brymon,at least,has suspended recruitment over the past couple of months(apparently),since the merger,but more to the point,since the fact was realised that they are 16 F/Os 'over quota'(April - sausage machine gone crazy).

Word on the street is that some external company will be conducting interviews or at least tests on prespective candidates for ''''''BACE''''''.! ...ATP Accad.?

Latest one(and this is A RUMOUR)...NCL
DASH - 8 to go.To be replaced by BRAL 41 s.
Hopefully no more redundancy.

AH :(

Airborne Hamster
25th Jul 2001, 22:50
By the way CityFlyer aint part of the new amalgamation!

TheNavigator
25th Jul 2001, 23:17
Bad habits???

I don't get this one either! If you get bad habits won't you fail the skills tests? Aren't the examiners exactly the same ones for modular and integrated?? Aren't the theoretical exams the same ones? Or are the standards required for both routes different??

My experience says that when you study on your own is far more difficult and it needs a lot of self-discipline. But it leads to a better understanding of the materials. That is the difference between deep and superficial learning. One thing is passing the exams. The other is knowing the subject.

This is not necessarily saying that modular is better then integrated. They are just different. However, the standards achieved should be equivalent. If not there is a serious problem on the examination process.

Tight Slot
26th Jul 2001, 00:38
And where the hell do they expect to get guys with 1000 hrs going for ChippyFryer? People with any idea will go for either JMC, A2000 or Airtours, with only 700hrs, get straight onto a 757 or 320, and get some decent med/hev jet time.

As for the 509 - modular debate, both give you a CPL/IR, both have the same level of skill tests, so why the hell is the 509 held in such high regard? I blame the council.

chipstick
26th Jul 2001, 01:42
Cityflyer Express (chippyfryer) is being merged with British Airways at Gatwick.
Today I signed my British Airways PLC contract as a Pilot Officer. I now have a BA seniority number that allows me to bid on to any BA fleet.
I'm sure JMC / Airtours are fine airlines, but the right hand seat of the RJ just got better.
No idea - I don't think so.

Tinstaafl
26th Jul 2001, 02:33
Just a point.

The ad says something like "...1000 hrs OR CAP509 AND 50 hrs in the last 12 months."

This could be interepreted as:

1. 1000hrs without needing the 50 hrs bit, or CAP509+the 50hrs/12 mths

Alternatively, it could be:

2. 1000 hrs or CAP509, and in both cases have 50 hrs in the last 12 mths.

I have 3700 TT but only 2 hrs or so in the last year. They wouldn't send me an application form. :( Ergo, they must mean Option 2 - unless the lady I spoke to misinterpreted the script she was following...

If I went out & hired a C150 & did 50 hrs of circuits in it then they'd happily send me an application form. Can't for the life of me imagine what another 50hrs in a C150 would do, on top the over 1000 I already have... :confused:

Luke SkyToddler
26th Jul 2001, 09:53
Jeez Tinstaafl that sucks! What a b*ll*cks policy ... just about worth going home for a fortnight and doing some flying wouldn't you say?

And Tight Slot you are waaayyy out of touch man - I could name 20 guys off the top of my head with well in excess of the 1000 hour minimum, who would quite happily take a job flying a clapped out Seneca right now, let alone a decent turboprop / small jet where they get to wear a BA uniform! I'm sure they won't be short of applicants who meet their criteria.

exaac
27th Jul 2001, 01:59
My advise is if you are close to the 1000 hours apply anyway, it is what they would like to have on the application but if they don't get the numbers they are looking for you may stand a chance, there have been guys and girls hired with less ,at the very least in a years time when you do have the hours required it will have shown that you have been interested for a while, it did come up when I was interviewd that it was not the first application that I submitted. Best of luck to you all.

Tinstaafl
27th Jul 2001, 20:47
You can't just apply to this ad.

They only gave a phone number, and then put you through '20 questions' to determine if you meet their criteria to be sent an application form.

scanscanscan
27th Jul 2001, 23:30
So.. Is externally hired DLR testing and psyco testing now to be introduced into BA after its introduction to mid career pilots at Gulf Air?
If so, this is not so nice for BA pilots and their families.

The recruitement department does not seem to have a real pilot in it,and is run like a joke call centre, and is a plot to get you to waste money on the telephone for hours.
First question used to be "What is your ethnic origon?"
So I told em I was a "One legged, black, jewish, freedom fighter,gay, with a knowledge of aircraft toilets and fatal areas inwhich to plant bombs, I got the paper work straight away!

[ 27 July 2001: Message edited by: scanscanscan ]

Squealing Pig
29th Jul 2001, 11:39
Has anyone received an application form yet ? I called on Wednesday and still havent received the form.

EM PE
30th Jul 2001, 15:33
SP I also called them on Weds to be told because my IR was not current they could not send me a pack. But on Friday I got one. Called them up to see if they had had a change of heart but it was a mistake. :( :(
EM PE

A and C
31st Jul 2001, 11:32
I see above a pilot recrutment program that is under the sole control of the HR department ,the airlines i have worked at that have had the HR types at the recruting helm have been the worst places i have worked.

On the other hand when the pilot management has a large say in the recrutment the place is normaly a good place to work.

Ask your self the question do i want to have my working life run by a bunch of 9 to 5 office types with some type of HR mistraining ?.
If this lot dont send you a form they have done you a favor by taking other pilots out of the market for the good jobs.

Just remember this was the outfit that not so long ago was paying £12000 to FO,s and you could get more if you agreed to a notice period that made it impossable for you to change jobs. What makes you think that the attitude towards pilots inside the company has changed ?.

seadog
31st Jul 2001, 11:42
A&C What on earth are you talking about? I fly for part of the new company, have no complaints and was recruited by two senior pilots.
Many of the Captains have been here years.... must be because they like it. :confused:

Super Stall
1st Aug 2001, 01:51
A and C

I think you are in fact referring to what is now the old Cityflyer Express (CFE) which, for about the third time on this post :rolleyes: , has nothing to do with Citiexpress.

We at the old CFE have now merged with BA, we've signed BA mainline contracts, have been given huge pay increases, and have the right to bid on to any BA fleet :D :D . So as you say 'We will now leave the better jobs to others'.

Sorry to gloat, but CFE have taken many unjustified criticisms on this forum often from the ill informed.

Oh how times change. :cool: :cool:

Hugh Jears
1st Aug 2001, 03:36
2 points...

1. At BACE we do NOT wear BA uniform, nor are there any immediate plans to change that!

2. I seriously doubt the figure of 85 pilots quoted as allegedy Brymon are already overstaffed and 85 would mean a 20%+ increase for the old BRAL workforce. Unless of course BA have plans unknown to us.

Another minor point, it's our game so we make the joining in rules. Play a different game if you don't like them.