PDA

View Full Version : Flying spanner

DKL09
16th Jun 2015, 22:45
Hi everyone,

I was after information regarding companies that would employ someone that could act as a flying spanner. I have my CPL and am currently getting the theory component of the B1 licence out of the way, so would be after an apprenticeship at the end of the year. I know this probably belongs in the engineering forum but I thought I'd give it a shot here first.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Cheers ppruners

717tech
17th Jun 2015, 00:04
Don't hear of it much these days, but we do occasionally fly with one.

Unless you hold a licence on the particular Aircraft, you're of little use as a Flying Spanner. An apprenticeship is definitely the way to do it, but it's not going to happen overnight.

Check your PMs.

Squawk7700
17th Jun 2015, 00:56
Many maintenance shops have a run-around aircraft for offsite jobs. Usually a dirty old 172 that someone didn't pay for that the LAME collected for nix :-) A LAME with a pilots license might be useful in this situation or to pick up customer aircraft and return etc plus test flying.

peterc005
17th Jun 2015, 01:49
Most LAMEs I've known have been pilots and owned a plane and have been happy to fly to help recover broken planes.

One Avionics LAME regularly used his plane to fly around the country doing jobs for people.

An advantage of being a LAME is the ability to accumulate a collection of free/cheap equipment to fix up planes they bought cheaply.

Whenever a fuel system drain and calibration is done on your plane new fuel is always used to refill the tanks as a "safety" measure. The old drained fuel goes into the LAMEs own plane. Better than wasting it I guess :-(

Jabawocky
17th Jun 2015, 11:06
I reckon it is an excellent way to ensure you have good customer service.

If you charge fair and reasonable rates and run the business properly, you should never go broke!:ok:

Stikybeke
7th Jul 2015, 11:26
Or insolvent :}

jas24zzk
7th Jul 2015, 11:35
The old drained fuel goes into the LAMEs own plane. Better than wasting it I guess :D

Last I looked, this was actually illegal.

A LAME doing this to save a few dollars...really? Well they certainly will be smart enough not to admit it....and certainly smart enough to not mention the possibility.

That said, my briggs & stratton mower LOVES avgas!

Pinky the pilot
7th Jul 2015, 11:53
That said, my briggs & stratton mower LOVES avgas!

Slight thread drift;:E

And my old TA22 Toyota Celica which had a `somewhat` worked* 1600 DOHC engine absolutely loved avgas!:ok::ok:

* Very high compression ratio, `three quarter` race cams, ported and polished etc etc.

Still have the car btw, but has not been driven in over 5 years. Stored pending restoration. 1800 DOHC fuel injected Turbo engine stored also.:E

Resuming normal programs:D

jas24zzk
7th Jul 2015, 11:59
Keeping the thread drift for a sec....

Cash up and send me your car. won't be dissapointed. :ok:

Pinky the pilot
7th Jul 2015, 12:13
jas24zzk; Not a chance!!!!!!:=

jas24zzk
7th Jul 2015, 12:21
Seriously Pinky?

In ten years of running my own shop, my clients have collected 17 trophies, numerous gold concours awards, several 'as seen on tv's' including one used in a Shannons advert.

Or you could send it to metalman2...he'll send you back a lovely Celica Ute :E

I'd be quite keen to do a Celica, would make a great sea change from the endless stream of Mustangs and Camaro's.

Pinky the pilot
7th Jul 2015, 12:26
I repeat; Not under any circumstances.:=

Subject closed!

Jabawocky
7th Jul 2015, 12:52
How did ;

I reckon it is an excellent way to ensure you have good customer service.

If you charge fair and reasonable rates and run the business properly, you should never go broke! :ok:

and

Or insolvent :}

end up with
Or you could send it to metalman2...he'll send you back a lovely Celica Ute :E

JamieMaree
7th Jul 2015, 17:46
I once worked for a company where the engineer used to put fuel drain Avgas into his little Standard 10 car. One day we were having a drag on the straight road from the airport into town, he was in the lead and I pulled alongside him in a Holden FB ute which had ceased to be the front line vehicle, he dropped down a gear to gain the advantage over me and all I could see was an exploding Standard 10 in my rear view mirror.
Lesson Avgas and a Standard 10 are not a good mix!

Metro man
7th Jul 2015, 22:22
I remember an operator who had a 20L container where all the fuel drained on preflights went into. As he had a busy flying school it didn't take long to fill up and was used to run his car.

Back in the old days AVGAS used in car engines long term used to result in fouling up the valves. However if you were getting the fuel free it worked out cheaper to pay for the top overhaul than buy fuel from a garage.

Modern engines are much less tolerant and where as an older diesel wouldn't mind a small percentage of JETA1, or even used cooking oil in the tank, on a new motor designed to the latest emission standards this would likely result in some expensive damage.

Feather #3
8th Jul 2015, 04:17
jas24zzk,

If done correctly, it is not illegal.

G'day ;)