PDA

View Full Version : PPL SEP Rating Renewal

appleipop
15th Jun 2015, 23:26
Hello everyone,

I have a PPL(A) with a lifetime validity, and a SEP(Land) Class Rating that expired in February. I sat the proficiency test with an RTF examiner today and I passed it.

I consulted the examiner about the payment to CAA cause on their website it says the cost is "£88 for the renewal of a class rating onto a licence if being processed by the UK CAA.". He then said he would sign off the class rating renewal on my paper licence and I would only need to post the Class Rating Renewal application form to CAA without any further payment cause he has done the work.

Now I have two questions:
1. Do I have to post in anything to CAA if the examiner has already signed it off on my paper licence? He dated the test date and the new expiry date, and signed it.
2. If I have to post the appliation form to CAA, will I have to include the payment of £88?

Thanks in advance!

Mach Jump
16th Jun 2015, 01:36
I have a PPL(A) with a lifetime validity, and a SEP(Land) Class Rating that expired in February. I sat the proficiency test with an RTF examiner today and I passed it.

Hi Appleipop. Welcome to PPRuNe

I'm assuming that you have a UK issued, EASA PPL

I'm also assuming that you had an assessment and Course Completion Certificate signed by the Head of Training(HOT) or Chief Flying Instructor(CFI) of an ATO, or RF, before you flew the Proficiency Check with the Examiner.

Once the Examiner has signed your Licence, The SEP Class Rating is 'Renewed'.

There is no payment due to the CAA.

The only further admin required is for the Examiner to fill in, and sign this form:

http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/33/SRG1157Issue05.pdf

then post it to the CAA.

MJ:ok:

Whopity
16th Jun 2015, 07:09
I sat the proficiency test with an RTF examiner today and I passed it. An RTF Examiner does radio practical tests; hopefully he was also either a CRE or PPL (FE) As stated above. Before you do the test you need a Form SRG1119D (http://www.caa.co.uk/application.aspx?catid=33&pagetype=65&appid=11&mode=detail&id=5178) Course Completion Certificate signed by a ATO or RF. You must send this form to the CAA together with the form the Examiner gave you.

I think you should also check your licence, if it were an EASA licence it would have been issued in the last 2 years. It may well be a UK lifetime licence issued pre 1999 in which case it is no longer valid on an EASA aircraft other than with LAPL privileges. Of course the Examiner should have checked all this and advised you.

appleipop
16th Jun 2015, 12:04
Thank you guys, thats really helpful.
I don't really have any experience dealing with renewing or revalidating licences and ratings so that's why I got confused.

I'm not exactly sure if my licence is an EASA or not. It was issued on the 13/05/2013, cover says "Issued in accordance with Part-FCL" and with small "EASA Form 141 Issue 1" on the bottom right.
In the Licence section it says it "shall remain in force for the holder's lifetime unless revoked....."
but then it says "Non-EASA Aircraft..... This licence is valid for aircraft registered in the UK".

Sorry Whopity, when I wrote RTF examiner I meant Registered Training Facility Examiner. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

So my understanding is that I only need to post in the form SRF1119D and form SRG1157 to CAA and nothing else? Do I have to mention that the examiner has already signed it so no further action is required from CAA and hence theres no payment included?

Mach Jump
16th Jun 2015, 14:41
I don't really have any experience dealing with renewing or revalidating licences and ratings so that's why I got confused.

Don't worry. We deal with this stuff all the time, and still get confused sometimes! :eek:

Your Licence is an EASA one, and it is also valid for non EASA aircraft, registered in the UK

You don't have to do anything more, unless you still have the completed forms, in which case send them to the CAA

If the Examiner still has the forms, check that He/She has sent them.

The 1157 has a box for the Examiner to tick to show that He/She has signed your Licence, and so the CAA will not expect any payment.

appleipop
16th Jun 2015, 14:53
The examiner gave me back both forms (both the application form and the test report), and told me to post them both in.

This might be a silly question but how would the CAA know if the examiner has sign off my rating renewal or not? As in how do they determine if they should charge me the 88pounds?

Cause I read through both forms and I don't think theres a part where it say the rewnal has been signed off?

Mach Jump
16th Jun 2015, 17:05
Check out this bit:

I have I have not* endorsed the Certificate of Revalidation in the applicant's licence (*If not signed also complete SRG 1119).

at the bottom of Section 2 of the 1157 form.

Ps. You should only have 2 forms: An 1157 Test Report, and an 1119D Course Completion Certificate. No Application form is required, unless the Examiner has not signed your Licence..

Level Attitude
16th Jun 2015, 17:37
The examiner gave me back both forms (both the application form and the test report), An Application Form (in this case SRG1119C) is not required as the Test Report (SRG1157) serves the same purpose - however no harm if both are submitted.

But a Course Completion Certificate (usually SRG1107 for SEP but, as MJ states, an SRG1119D is acceptable) is mandatory.

Have you got a Course Completion Certificate?

I don't really have any experience dealing with renewing or revalidating licences and ratingsAnd you are not expected to, that is an Examiner's job. Just make sure you understand the requirements to remain legal now that your SEP is Renewed.

It is a requirement on Examiners (not on examinees) to send back to the CAA any Licensing Paperwork within 14 Days.

Giving it to the candidate and asking them to post it is, as we see in this case, fraught with pitfalls. Much easier for the Examiner to just scan them and send them electronically themselves to the CAA

appleipop
16th Jun 2015, 19:18
I have a course completion certificate but it's with the flying club and not with me. I will go in tomorrow to retrieve it.

Again thank you guys for the replies and advices.
You have no idea how long I've spent on CAA's website in the past couple days!

justmaybe
16th Jun 2015, 22:19
Is there a dedicated (or particular) CAA email address for Rew/Reval forms submission?

Whopity
16th Jun 2015, 23:01
From a recent CAA email:
Submissions of PDF applications such as examiner reports, licence proficiency checks(LPC), course completion certificates, please email [email protected]

justmaybe
20th Jun 2015, 06:00
Just looked at the thread 'FIs signing Revalidations'; CAA seem to suggest that an electronic submission of 1157s is not acceptable - It has to be the original document posted to them? Why?

Broadlands
20th Jun 2015, 19:57
I send all my documentation including the 1157 and 1119e by PDF which they are happy to receive. I have no plans to send any original documents unless told directly.

Whopity
20th Jun 2015, 21:30
I have emailed all such forms as greyscale pdf; no issues.

Mickey Kaye
21st Jun 2015, 08:49
What do they actually do with all these forms. Do they actually process them?

Whopity
22nd Jun 2015, 12:18
They scan it and save it as a pdf; therefore sending them a pdf saves them work and saves paper.

DB6
22nd Jun 2015, 15:44
I think you only have to send in the SRG1157. There is no mention of sending in a course completion certificate in the FE handbook, only that the applicant should be in possession of one.

BigEndBob
22nd Jun 2015, 20:44
Why can't the CAA produce one form with everything on it.
Surely can't be that complicated.
Why does everything smack of jobsworths.
Instead of all these peace meal forms.
Get someone there to write down all the variances of renewal, revalidation, etc on one form!
And why does a form take 8 pages.

Remember what it used to say at the bottom of CAA e-mails.
Along the lines.."if it's not necessary to print this e-mail, don't, think of the environment"