PDA

View Full Version : CPL - USA or INDIA or Someother Country

hyderabadi
15th Jun 2015, 04:15
Dear All,

I'm from Hyderabad (India). My passion is to fly and i did not have enough knowledge and friends to help me. However, i have managed to convince my family that i would go for CPL.

There are many aviation centers here in Hyderabad, but i have spoken to 2 pilots recently & both have suggested me to go to USA and join a good Aviation School.

Please, can someone suggest me some good schools for aviation in USA (please share your real time experience - if you have been to USA as a foreign student). Also Pilots all over the world, your are welcome to comment & help me.

Thanks In Advance.

AA350XWB
15th Jun 2015, 18:46
Dude this is a really broad question.

What if someone says X is the best school but charges 1 crore for CPL, will you still be able to afford? Y is not the best but the cheapest.

Also do some research before-hand which city has the best weather, staying costs etc and narrow it down.

Btw What are your plans after FAA CPL?

I've heard that our DGCA doesn't like FAA license. They are more inclined towards JAA/EASA license. Their TRTOL isn't recognized here.

There was a thread somewhere regarding this, I'll put a link as soon as I find it.

Ilyushin76
16th Jun 2015, 21:46
Let me put it in simple words.

1. As stated in a reply, your budget really matters. If you are on a tight budget you are better off training in India from a good school than going abroad to the US and struggling with finances.

2. Pilots will suggest a lot of things. A US license will give you no edge when it comes to applying jobs in India since the Indian CAA will ask you to convert it. So you are as good as anyone who has flown in India for half the cost.

3. As 350xwb suggested, the Indian CAA doesn't really like the FAA. Same as other South Asian CAA bodies. Lots of red tapes in converting your license to an Indian one.

4. You can not fly in the US after finishing your training unless you have a green card. That's a mandatory prerequisite these days. :rolleyes:

My suggestion, fly in India, get into an Indian airline and build your career.

hyderabadi
22nd Jun 2015, 03:31
Thanks for you reply brother. Appreciate it.

Im being very honest with you now. Most of the terms which you have mentioned in your post are greek and latin to me :( (being a newbee in airline terminology)

However, as advised, i will dig deep and find a good school in Hyderabad or some other state in India.

hyderabadi
22nd Jun 2015, 03:33
Thank you for your valuable suggestion.

Please, can you suggest me few schools where we can pursue the CPL? Money is not an issue. TIA

AA350XWB
22nd Jun 2015, 12:49
Thanks for you reply brother. Appreciate it.

Im being very honest with you now. Most of the terms which you have mentioned in your post are greek and latin to me :( (being a newbee in airline terminology)

However, as advised, i will dig deep and find a good school in Hyderabad or some other state in India. Thank you for your valuable suggestion.

Please, can you suggest me few schools where we can pursue the CPL? Money is not an issue. TIA Actually buddy the thing about India is you won't get quality training here. Even at IGRUA/NFTI.
http://www.pprune.org/south-asia-far-east-wannabes/484594-cae-nfti-gondia-reality-check.html

If money is not an issue, definitely do your CPL abroad from US/Europe.

I understand you want schools but there are plenty of schools in US/Europe as a whole. You need to narrow down a bit.

Apart from your CPL you need to go for TR(Type Rating). Usually newbies go with Boeing737 or Airbus A320. Having a TR gives you an edge over your competition.--Type Rating means you're certified to fly that type of Aircraft.

After your training 99% chance that you'll have to come back to India and apply for a job. Indigo/GoAir, SpiceJet/AirIndia/JetAirways.

Something I found on best flight training schools - Ranking of Pilot Schools in the world (http://askcaptainlim.com/component/content/article/1073-ranking-of-pilot-schools-in-the-world.html)

cyrilroy21
24th Jun 2015, 17:49
@hyderabadi

There are a lot more aspects to this career than just obtaining a CPL

You need to remember that being an Indian Citizen the number of countries you can apply for a job are very very few . Any country outside India would normally require you to have certain number of hours of experience which is normally obtained after a flying job

Indian Aviation has been in the doldrums since the financial crisis of 2008
It is over regulated and heavily taxed leaving one or two airlines that are somewhat profitable
Number of jobs if you are a non type rated CPL holder are far and few
This has resulted in thousands of unemployed pilots in India estimated to be around 6000-7000
That being said Indian Aviation is growing but it will be a couple of years before things really start picking up

Very few companies call all the candidates that apply . The rest of them you usually need to know someone on the inside to even get called for an assessment

Not to forget that airlines in India will charge for the cost of training you to fly a Boeing 737 or Airbus A320 or whatever aircraft they hire you to fly
This cost usually ranges from 15 lakhs to as high as 35 lakh rupees

Please dont forget during a career as a pilot you have to keep renewing the medical certificate every year . If at any point of time you are made permanently unfit then you will never be able to fly as a pilot again

Please make sure your family also understands the risks involved and about the state of Indian Aviation at present and learn more about this career before jumping in

Here is a good start
If you had a DGCA CPL today , where would you apply ? who is hiring ?
Think about it and see what vacancies you can find

AA350XWB
27th Jun 2015, 16:54
Hey found it!

http://www.pprune.org/south-asia-far-east/436761-faa-vs-jaa-what-should-one-choose.html

AA350XWB
27th Jun 2015, 16:58
@cyrilroy21 How many months/years did you wait before you got a job after your CPL?

Ilyushin76
27th Jun 2015, 21:33
Whatever my realist friend stated regarding the bleak situation of aviation in India is true, sadly. The same dilemma exists in other South Asian countries as well.

I know a few people who got lucky and got into airlines. Others, not so lucky. They have the experience but they are still looking for the breakthrough. :ugh:

Ilyushin76
27th Jun 2015, 21:44
@A350XWB, does the DGCA endorse individual licenses with TR? Or you need to go under an airline company for the sim etc?

AA350XWB
29th Jun 2015, 10:48
does the DGCA endorse individual licenses with TR?

Yes.

Or you need to go under an airline company for the sim etc?

I think no airline has it's own sim. For e.g GoIndigo has tie up with CAE/NFTI for A320 rating.

Ilyushin76
2nd Jul 2015, 12:47
Its different for other countries. You have to be in an airline to get a TR endorsed on your license. :(

AA350XWB
2nd Jul 2015, 19:25
Its different for other countries. You have to be in an airline to get a TR endorsed on your license. :(

I see. In India, if you have a TR you're a little ahead of the competition.;)

AA350XWB
2nd Aug 2015, 16:19
@jockey69 Yes. i wish I was born in US..or Europe was fine too.:{

AA350XWB
2nd Aug 2015, 22:01
Haha LOL! :p

Hatim2712
13th Nov 2016, 10:52
Dear All,

I’m new to this forum so please pardon my misatkes.

I'm from Pune (India).I intend to be a pilot. I am currently in my third year of engineering and will be able to start my CPL training by 2018 May.
I have done some homework about the best flying schools in India (IGRUA and NFTI) and have also spoken to Star Educare, the Indian representatives of Dean International Miami. The latter have quoted me 26.5 lacs for their package including VISA, Training Fee and Stay and with an assuring guarantee of one of their Indian students completing the course in 5 months.

I have spoken to 2 pilots recently & both have suggested me to go abroad and join a good Flying School.
I have heard several bad experiences of the conversion process to Indian DGCA CPL which is making me sceptical to go for the latter option.
I am not fancied to go abroad but I’m looking out for the best school who offers best training in the shortest time without charging much. If that is available in India there won’t be anything like it.
Also I have read the thread on this forum about the difference of flying training in India and abroad and @cyrilroy21 ‘s educating answer stating the same.

Please, can someone share the current scenario of:
1)Course at IGRUA.
2)Course at NFTI.
3)Indigo Cadet Programme.
4)Course at Dean International Miami.
5)Job availability in the Indian Aviation Sector (now and by the time I’d finish my course). I have @cyrilroy21 ‘s answer of whose hiring (in Jan 2016) too.
Also Pilots all over the world, your are welcome to comment & help me.

Thanks In Advance.

Saurabh Anarase
27th Mar 2017, 18:51
Dear All,

I'm from Pune (India).I intend to be a pilot. I am currently in my third year of engineering and will be able to start my CPL training by 2018 May.
I have done some homework about the best flying schools in India (IGRUA and NFTI) and have also spoken to Star Educare, the Indian representatives of Dean International Miami. The latter have quoted me 26.5 lacs for their package including VISA, Training Fee and Stay and with an assuring guarantee of one of their Indian students completing the course in 5 months.

I have spoken to 2 pilots recently & both have suggested me to go abroad and join a good Flying School.
I have heard several bad experiences of the conversion process to Indian DGCA CPL which is making me sceptical to go for the latter option.
I am not fancied to go abroad but I’m looking out for the best school who offers best training in the shortest time without charging much. If that is available in India there won’t be anything like it.
Also I have read the thread on this forum about the difference of flying training in India and abroad and @cyrilroy21 ‘s educating answer stating the same.

1)Course at IGRUA.
2)Course at NFTI.
5)Job availability in the Indian Aviation Sector (now and by the time I’d finish my course). I have @cyrilroy21 ‘s answer of whose hiring (in Jan 2016) too.

Thanks In Advance.
Heyyy Hatim brother I am also having the same confusion as u bro can we have a discussion on this which will be help us in more better way, bro contact me on my mail id- [email protected]

ididnotcreate
21st Aug 2017, 12:35
Dear All,

1)Course at IGRUA.
2)Course at NFTI.

Thanks In Advance.
Hey bro even i am in the same league
let us all make a group and discuss and btw i have gathered a lot of info lets be helpful :-)
do contact me - [email protected]