PDA

View Full Version : What happens between completing trainging and getting employed?

edd2000uk
12th Jun 2002, 09:56
I'm going to be seeing the bank manager in a week to discuss the possibility of a loan for flight training (I'd prefer an integrated course). One of the things I've noticed in my research is that many of the airlines are currently asking for 1500 hours flying experience (ie unfrozen ATPL). If I've worked it out correctly, I would finish my training with a lot less hours than this! Is this likely to be the case for the forseable future? Once I finish my training, how would I build up those hours, is instruction the only option? Obviously the bank manager is going to want to know exactly what the plan is on completion of the training. I'd appreciate any advice on the matter.

Wibbly P
12th Jun 2002, 11:34
What to do... that's the big question isn't it.

Well... anyone with half a brain and a wad of cash can become a Pilot. The hardest thing is getting that elusive bus driver job at the end of it all.

The instructor route will get you the 1500 hours but it won't actually get you an ATPL as quite logically, 500 hours Multi-Pilot experience is required for the JAR ATPL.

Multi Pilot time is worth it's weight in gold. As I understand it there are some dubious packages you can go for in the US offering MPA type rating and experience for low/no wage and as part of the training package. There are a lot of threads about this on the Pprune.

I think that getting yourself a CPL/IR with MCC then shelling out £15-£20K on a B737 300-900 rating will make you a quite appealing candidate. I think everyone here will then tell you it's just a matter of joining the queue.

I couldn't say for sure whether an airline would prefer a CPL/IR FI with 1500 hours SEP or a CPL/IR with MCC and B737. My guess is the latter would be preferable due to the low experience (less bad habits) and the lower cost of training.

Good luck either way.... and let's hope someone else can shed some more light on this, the eternal wannabe question.

Wibbly P

foghorn
12th Jun 2002, 11:46
The topic of elf-sponsored type ratings brings out some strong views in people. The general view is that it is a high risk game and should not be done unless money is no object.

It's worth noting that the big employers of 737-rated people at the moment are looking for a minimum of 300 hours on type.

However the Shorts type rating route a la BAC/Streamline has been used by many people as a way in to the airlines.

Failing that, aside from instructing there are other GA activities in the UK. The problem is that jobs are few and far between and you generally need additional experience/qualifications to get a job: para dropping (experience required), air taxi (significant twin time required), glider towing (gliding and taildragger experience required), etc. etc.

cheers!
foggy

edd2000uk
13th Jun 2002, 15:41
Does anyone know where you can get information on the regional airlines or GA jobs? What about corporate jets, is there much work in that field over here?

carb
13th Jun 2002, 20:17
I came across ads recently for CPLs with 500 hours wanted to fly Cessnas in various African countries. Think it's a Christian missionary type thing but might suit some people!

http://www.wse.org.uk/vacsearch.htm

Rotorbike
14th Jun 2002, 06:18
Finding names of companies isn't that hard. Let your fingers do the walking.....

www.yell.com type in airlines and you get 60 hits. Some small commuter airlines..... they even head you in the direction of their websites, if they have one, so you can look up further information on the companies.

Type in flight school another 60 hits.

Parachuting another 60....

Air Charter another 60...

OK lots of the companies might not be relevant to what YOU want but the information is right there.

Finding a job isn't easy and you really need to cover every area but it sure is easier to find companies information than the 2 days it took me to flick through Yellow pages years back......