PDA

View Full Version : Thunderbird Mail - Inbox/Sent partially deleted.

Pelikal
12th Jun 2015, 15:37
Ok, I use BT as my provider and Thunderbird (31.7.0) as a client. I'm Running Windows 7. I have one main account and three sub-accounts.

I particularly use one sub-account for most of my everyday mail. This one suddenly stopped showing all of my 2015 and earlier mails in the Inbox/Sent folders. Both folders show 200 messages in each so it appears all but the first 200 messages have been deleted or hidden somehow.

Checking on BT mail direct all is there. I can send from this account using Thunderbird to the other accounts but they don't get copied. I get a login error.

Checked Synchronizing & Storage:
Synchronize all messages locally regardless of age is checked.
Don't delete any messages is checked.

Under Tools> Options> Advanced> Network & Disk Space, I have 'Use up to 350 MB for the cache'. Any point in clearing the cache?

Thoughts appreciated. Sorry if info may be incomplete/vague.

CharlieOneSix
12th Jun 2015, 17:00
A similar thing happened to my wife's Thunderbird emails recently. There are quite a few MozillaZine suggestions if you google 'Thunderbird emails missing'. The one that sorted it for us was:

It's possible that the ".msf" files (index files) are corrupted. To rebuild the index of a folder, right-click it, select Properties, and choose "Rebuild Folder" from the General Information tab. You can also close Thunderbird and manually delete them from your profile folder (http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile_folder); they will be rebuilt when Thunderbird starts.

Pelikal
12th Jun 2015, 17:13
Charlie, thanks. When the risk of thunderstorms are over, I'll crank up the main machine and explore. Just weird it conked out on 200 messages.

Pelikal
13th Jun 2015, 14:13
The suggestion from CharlieOneSix worked.:ok:

I also tried compacting some folders and got some unexpected results which I haven't fathomed out yet. Do others here compact folders?

ian16th
13th Jun 2015, 19:07
Do others here compact folders? Yes, but after many years, like 16, my files are now so big it doesn't seem to help and I am continually getting nagged to do it again.

Anyone know of any good archiving techniques?

cdtaylor_nats
13th Jun 2015, 20:59
If you are using Thunderbird you can set up archiving by going to

Account Settings
Copies and Folders

about the middle of that panel you will see
Message Archives

ian16th
14th Jun 2015, 13:54
cdtaylor_nats (http://www.pprune.org/members/66186-cdtaylor_nats)

Thanks