PDA

View Full Version : Passenger with diabetes

Pali
12th Jun 2015, 13:01
My daughter should fly for the first time ever and she is diabetic. She uses insulin pump + insulin pen as back up + glucometer + spare needles + extra insulin ampoule. All that stuff should be with her in the cabin.

It is an inside EU flight, probably with CSA. (PRG - CPH)

My question is if there is some problem with security check before boarding a/c. She has an ID card which says she is a diabetic but is it necessary to have some certificate from her doctor?

The reason I ask she would need to ask her doctor to get such paper and it is some hassle connected with it so she would prefer to skip that step. Or some hint on the text needed for such certificate?

Any suggestions? Thank you in advance.

HookEcho
12th Jun 2015, 14:21
Wife is T1 w/pump. Never had a problem in the US. She's also been thru Barcelona (1999) and Copenhagen (2011) on her way back home. Just let's the screener know she's diabetic and is wearing a pump. No documentation needed. She's also gotten unopened apple juice (8oz?) thru unopened for low sugars. YMMV

How old is she?

west lakes
12th Jun 2015, 14:50
As long as she carries proof there is no problem
Carry all medicines in a separate bag and declare it at security as what it is,
Do not allow any medication to be carried in the hold, it all must be in cabin baggage
If she is traveling on her own, inform the airline at check in and the crew on boarding, this is just in case a hypo occurs the crew knows what it could be.
Plenty of spares in case of loss or breakages
Copies of prescriptions or empty boxes of medication so it can be replaced if needed
Under no circumstances order Diabetic meals as these are designed for Type 2 sufferers and do not have enough carbohydrates for Type !s
Carry additional foods like biscuits etc. in case of delays

Enjoy

mockingjay
12th Jun 2015, 14:55
Always ensure you have enough food for the entire trip, and then some. Cover every possibility. Special meals may be forgotten, and if they're burned, it's unlikely there are any replacements. So ensure you bring adequate snacks, just in case.

ExXB
13th Jun 2015, 06:44
She will be absolutely fine, I guarantee it. I'm T1 and have been for over 40 years and I am only rarely stopped or asked about my stuff at security. I have never been asked for proof of my condition or a Dr.'s letter.

Using a pump she should declare it at security, since she will be wearing it through the scanner. I don't even mention my condition (I don't use a pump) or take my supplies out of my carryon.

All medical supplies are exempt from the liquids rule, she can carry on as much as she wants. I use cooling wallets (Frio - Insulin Cooling Wallets (http://friouk.com)) which are water soaked gel which use evaporation to cool, and these are accepted without problem too.

Basic rules, have some form of ID; take pleanty of supplies (remember that icelandic volcano); keep them cool (not cold!); have some glucose, preferably in solid form (if you are goint to have problems it will be with things like juice); and enjoy your flight.

For a trip crossing more than a couple of time zones she should discuss her needs with a professional. Not complicated, particularly with a pump, but she should know what to do.

mockingjay
13th Jun 2015, 12:49
Good advice regarding cooking products. Some aircraft only have ice drawers or dry ice cooling and not a fridge. So at best they can put the meds in a sick bag and put them in the ice drawer, with the ice still bagged. It's not ideal and some crew may refuse this too. So your own cool storage would be ideal and takes out the stress and worry of it being damaged.

1DC
13th Jun 2015, 13:06
Pali: Westlakes has it in a nutshell. Mrs 1DC travels regularly and whilst she is only T2 has never had a problem. If your daughter has a long journey and has to keep insulin cool then Frio insulin travel wallets are useful.

ExXB
13th Jun 2015, 13:55
Mockingjay,
I would not put my insulin in an ice drawer, freezing destroys it. Nor would I expect any airline to look after my supplies. Even with the best intentions something is likely to go pear-shaped.

While I would appreciate the gesture, I have the tools to look after my supplies.

I use the Frio everyday to keep my short reacting insulin cool as I'm out and about. While I probably don't need it every day, it gives me the confidence that whatever happens my insulin is going to work as expected.

mockingjay
13th Jun 2015, 14:09
Absolutely, if I relied on meds I'd want them looked after, and also in my sight, not sloshing about in an ice drawer! But some people did ask for it, and would always oblige on explaining the set up we have and ensuring they were happy. Even though it would be protected all it would take is for one jolt and it could get damaged. Not worth the risk for something so important.

west lakes
13th Jun 2015, 14:12
As far as I'm aware airlines will no longer store insulin for passengers.

For storing also take the trouble to read the instructions as some insulins can actually quite safely be stored up to 20deg or higher for short periods

Pali
13th Jun 2015, 16:22
Thank you very much for your help. Very appreciated! :ok:

She is 22 and I believe she can cope with it very well.

Paphian
21st Jun 2015, 09:24
My Wife is diabetic, and we have never had a problem, declare it at security.
On one occasion the stewardess offered to put the hand baggage in the locker and my wife said she needed to keep her food near her as she was diabetic. the stewardess wanted to know all about it in case there was a problem in flight, although my Wife assured her she would be alright.
A tip we picked up some years ago from this site is a product for insulin by Frio Insulin cooling case, they come in various sizes for on or more pens and have a reusable cool pack inside, just soak it and freeze. which keeps cool for a long time. If you Google them the company is very helpful and reasonable. we would not be without one
Hope this helps

ExXB
21st Jun 2015, 09:50
A tip we picked up some years ago from this site is a product for insulin by Frio Insulin cooling case, they come in various sizes for on or more pens and have a reusable cool pack inside, just soak it and freeze.

DO NOT FREEZE the Frio cooling packs. Putting your insulin in a frozen pack will freeze and destroy it.

The Frio packs are designed to be soaked in water - yes, but not frozen. The cooling comes from the evaporation of the water, basic physics.

The link to their website is in my post above.

Paphian
21st Jun 2015, 09:58
You are right , I was trying to remember as my Wife deals with it
Just put in a fridge. If you buy one follow the instructions.
Sorry for my mistake

ExXB
21st Jun 2015, 12:40
No worries, I just didn't want anyone to ruin their insulin, on a trip without easy access to a replacement.

It isn't necessary to put it in the 'fridge either. It keeps in use insulin at the proper temperature.