PDA

View Full Version : difference between degree and diploma

calgary
12th Jun 2002, 02:44
the subject says it all..... (this is regarding aviation by the way )haha

calgary
12th Jun 2002, 09:26
You can get an aviation diploma from a college here in Calgary, Alberta, 2 years long and you get your cpl/ir where as theres a aviation degree which, from what I hear is 3 years long, where you get your cpl/ir

except for the years, what is the difference???

are they same program or is the degree better than the diploma?

Flying Canuck
12th Jun 2002, 21:37
Calgary,

You're best bet would be to speak with Mt Royal College & ask them what the difference between a degree & diploma would be. When I spoke with them a few years ago, they were very helpfull. Also, a few of the flight schools employ Mt Royal alumn, you might want to try speaking with a few of them to get their feel of the course.

From what I've seen from Mt Royal they do not offer an aviation degree, just the 2yr diploma. There are options in BC (I can't rememeber the name of the uni) & in ON (Western) that offer a 4yr degree with a cpl/ir, & the UofT in conjunction with Seneca College offer a post graduate diploma in aviation management with an integrated cpl/ir.

Are you enrolled into the Mt Royal program or are you still looking into it? I ask as you need a ppl first & with the G8 Summit closing Springbank for a few weeks & Calgary notorius for evening thundershowers your time is running out to get that important first step out of the way.

Last thing, before you do anything, make sure you set-up an appointment to get your class 1 medical. Mt Royal does them, I even think they offer a cheaper student price. Without your class 1 the dream of a CPL is over...