PDA

View Full Version : Onwards and Upwards!

Heliport
12th Jun 2002, 01:45
Apologies for not responding sooner to the kind comments posted on the "20,000 posts" thread. I have to admit I kept putting it off because I was lost for words. My friends would say that’s a first! I also found out I’m not the only Rotorhead who’s shy about such things - I had lots of e-mails which began "I didn’t want to say this on the forum, but ………"
Thank you for all your support, and for taking the trouble to post or e-mail. The fact that Hoverman started the thread says much to his credit - our only previous err.. 'exchange' was when I had to delete one of his posts! :eek:

We all enjoy compliments, but what gave me the most pleasure was that you like the way Rotorheads has developed over the last year or so. Our forum has grown enormously - and not only in size. The quality of the discussions is impressive, and the depth of knowledge and wealth of experience of our contributors is breath-taking.

Where else but on Rotorheads could we post a tricky question and get answers/opinions almost instantly (and free of charge!) from such a wide range of genuine experts in the helicopter industry world-wide - including, for example, Nick Lappos, now Director of S-92 Programs at Sikorsky, formerly Director of Test Engineering, Deputy Chief Pilot and Chief R&D Test Pilot and (in one of those jobs) flew the first S-76!

If you want a quick overview of the quality of discussions and level of talent on the forum, try the ‘Sort’ facility at the bottom of the main Rotorheads page. The default setting is ‘latest post’. If you sort by ‘rating’ or ‘number of views’ and you’ll see what I mean.
Thankfully, it’s not all serious. We also enjoy a good laugh. No surprise to see that Ho Lung Chun’s "Nick Lappos - no more questions" holds the all-time record with 3489 views! I suspect many people, like me, read it several times. His final post on that thread, answering ‘e-mailed questions’ is priceless.

Towards the end of the ’20,000 posts’ thread, there were rumours that I might be giving up as moderator. It’s true the idea did cross my mind about 10 days ago, for reasons I won’t bring up now. I happened to mention it while waiting at an airfield one day - it only goes to show how small the helicopter world is! Such thoughts evaporated when I read the your messages of support. I’ll adopt, and adapt, Mark Twain’s reply on being told that his obituary had been published in the New York Journal "The reports of my retirement are greatly exaggerated."

Thank you all for your support. A forum is only as good as its contributors, and together we’ve made Rotorheads the leading helicopter forum in the world.

Onwards and Upwards! http://www.stopstart.fsnet.co.uk/smilie/thumbs.gif

PS
If you want to put a face to a name, click Nick Lappos. (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?threadid=56086&referrerid=18293) and go to Flying Lawyer's post.
I haven't found a photograph of Ho Lung Chun - yet!! ;)

Heliport
15th Jun 2002, 00:21
Time to unstick this message.

Thanks for your emails supporting what we're trying to achieve here. And please feel free to email any suggestions you have for further improvements.

Mil / Ex Mil pilots: Can I ask for your help?
I want to get as many different spheres of the helicopter world represented here as possible. In particular, we're a little light on current Mil pilots. If you know any, please try to encourage them to post here.

Thanks.

I'm leaving the thread open for anyone who wants to post ideas / suggestions here instead of emailing.