PDA

View Full Version : Almost Forgotten: The Search for Aviation Accidents in Northumberland

ExRAFRadar
9th Jun 2015, 16:49
Found this very interesting book on Google Books.
Some civvy stuff in there but being it is Northumberland unfortunatley plenty of Military types as well.
The author does a very good job of bringing the sites and the stories of the accidents to life. Includes interviews with Ground Crew who were the last to see/talk to the Officers who did not RTB.
Quite moving.
Almost Forgotten: The Search for Aviation Accidents in Northumberland (http://www.pprune.org/Almost Forgotten: The Search for Aviation Accidents in Northumberland)

Hangarshuffle
9th Jun 2015, 19:49
Yes I think I actually own this book somewhere. The link wont work for me. The copy I've got is very interesting about the WW2 and 1950's era crashes. Some might think it macabre or distasteful, but I think not. Part of our history and I for one want to remember these brave very young people.
The two crash sites I always wanted to go up and spot are on the Cheviot. One is the December 1944 B17 crash and the other a Lancaster, returning from a raid on Norway (I think as I recall). A farmer told me in dry summers the Lanc tends to rise up a little as the ground dries, so this may be the year to see it.