PDA

View Full Version : BA hand baggage/seat selection

gordon2uk
9th Jun 2015, 09:27
I am going from LCY-AMS mid july. I normally use BA on this trip but if you have only got hand luggage you cant make a seat selection before check in unless you pay for it. Does anyone know why this is? This has put me off travelling BA and now I have booked KLM/Cityjet where you can select your seat and the price is cheaper||

mixture
9th Jun 2015, 11:26
gordon2uk,

Evidently you missed the news way back in late January !

Its part of the range of exciting new enhancements they've made to the Executive Club programme....

BA said in a statement: "For bookings made from March 26, British Airways will allocate a seat for all customers booking an HBO low fare on a short haul flight with us.

"When travelling on these great value fares, your seat will be allocated when check-in opens. Should you wish to change your seat you can pay to do so at that time or alternatively pay to reserve a seat when you book your flight...

"For all other fares, Bronze members can continue to select their seat for free seven days before departure and Silver and Gold members at the time of booking for free."

Ancient Mariner
9th Jun 2015, 12:06
Don't know why it is, just booked a trip for 7 family members OSL, LHR, HKG, MNL, HKG, DOH, OSL.
One burger aged kid and two who need gluten free meals.
BA will not let you reserve anything until 24 hrs before departure.
Cathay Pacific fixed the meals, and we were able to reserve seats LHR, HKG. Full stop.
Qatar could not accept the meals on their website, but an email from Qatar promptly and courteously took care of that, but I could reserve seats on their website for all flights including Cathay and Dragonair, excluding of course BA.
One really should check every angle.

Background Noise
9th Jun 2015, 12:17
I normally use BA on this trip but if you have only got hand luggage you cant make a seat selection before check in unless you pay for it. ||

Not only that, with a hand luggage only fare, you have to pay for it even after check in. Which I don't mind except that their website does not make it too clear when choosing fares:

http://i57.tinypic.com/2i760ow.jpg

Only if you select more details, does it point out that for the checked baggage fare (which says seat choice included), seats are only choosable after check in.

mixture
9th Jun 2015, 12:50
OSL, LHR, HKG, MNL, HKG, DOH, OSL.

Bit of an obscure routing that or were you trying to rack up some air miles by doing two stops before you eventually land in MNL ? :)

Ancient Mariner
9th Jun 2015, 21:00
Bit of an obscure routing that or were you trying to rack up some air miles by doing two stops before you eventually land in MNL ? :)

Price, GBP 410 adult, 360 for the kids. When you have to shell out for 7, major decider. Nothing direct from OSLO anyway. LH used to have a direct from FRA, don't know at present. Next lowest fare was GBP 620.

mixture
9th Jun 2015, 21:41
Nothing direct from OSLO anyway.

True. But did you contemplate HEL ? AY do HKG routes from there.

Still, good job at 410GBP ... I hope you celebrated by buying everyone upgrades on airmiles ? :E

Ancient Mariner
10th Jun 2015, 06:49
Best price AY was double, and would still require two stops. Previous experience with AY on Asia is good, but no fan of HEL. It would still be CX HKG-MNL, return.
No upgrades, wife can sleep taped to a wall, grandchildren will watch movies and play games oblivious to surroundings, daughter......who cares, and I will force in my earplugs, put on my all encompassing DJ-headphones, select some old Rock, ensure a steady flow of adult beverages, and the right time, pop a sleeping enhancer.
Did I mention that my seat is some distance away from the rest of the group, on each leg?
The disadvantage of being 7 persons. That was my excuse when I reserved seats, and I will stick to it. :E

Ancient Mariner
11th Jun 2015, 10:26
Not going to happen. The females of our group, all five of them has requested a four day shopping spree in MNL, while my seven year old grandson and I do more manly stuff.
No BA flights on the way home, 30 kg check in and 10 kg carry on each. Digital scale to be brought, 210 kg + 70 kg limit to be maxed, I'm sure. :rolleyes:

PAXboy
11th Jun 2015, 10:54
Dear Ancient Mariner,

May the sympathies of the majority of PPRuNers be with you ... :p

On the positive side, you have the chance to instruct your grandson in the ways of the world and the patience required whilst waiting for our females to select clothing.

Manila, Philippines - Lonely Planet (http://www.lonelyplanet.com/philippines/manila)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tourism_in_Manila

Ancient Mariner
11th Jun 2015, 19:34
First visit to Manila as a young seaman '73. Lived there 2000 to 2003 and visited on numerous occasions. Could take my GS to places that would curl the hair on his mother's head. I think we should settle for the Chinese Cemetery.

GROUNDHOG
12th Jun 2015, 19:54
Well sad to say BA's stupid seat selection system just lost them my business - though probably will not care about it. We fly 2 or 3 times a year LHR/YVR, always on BA085/BA084. I like the upper deck 747 Club cabin, the timings suit us, the service suits us, the lounge is great...

BUT
I can pay to book seats with my Wife at the time of booking but what I can't do is see WHICH seats are available before I get the booking reference. Wrote to BA suggesting this was not a good idea and after three or four irrelevant zombie like replies from customer services just gave up. Last time we booked I paid the extra to reserve seats ( happy to pay) but all that were available despite booking months ahead were mid cabin which I did not want.

We have just booked with Air Canada for the next trip, if the service is as good as the booking process it will sadly be goodbye BA until you change your policy.

Written with genuine sadness as a supporter of BA since the days of BOAC, BEA etc

ExXB
13th Jun 2015, 07:12
Groundhog,

BA are not the company they were, even 10 years ago. The mandarins at Waterside don't give a **** about their customers.

PAXboy
13th Jun 2015, 11:34
Any group that has been in existence for too long will start to consider that IT'S existence is more important than the reason for it's founding. There are too many examples around us: All political parties; corporates; churches; Prime Ministers + Presidents; complete the list...

OverRun
13th Jun 2015, 11:43
Umm. I didn't know that people still flew BA.