PDA

View Full Version : Preliminary Pre-Flight Procedure

Driver 170
9th Jun 2015, 01:20
To finish of my set of flows for my own personal use, i just need some help on why it mentions connect/start GROUND POWER and APU during the Preliminary Pre-Flight as this should already be established on the Supplementary Procedures - Electrical Power Up.

Below is just the initial part of an old FCOM from 2007 but i've only included whats necessary.

Perform the following checks prior to assuming normal crew positions.

Maintenance status ............................................................ ............. Check
Verify maintenance status is acceptable for flight and ensure agreement with authorized dispatch deviations if required.

Flight deck access system switch ..................................................... OFF
Note: Refer to Supplementary Procedures, for a system test, as required.

BATTERY switch ............................................................ .................ON
Guard – Down

ELECTRIC HYDRAULIC PUMP switches .................................... OFF

LANDING GEAR lever ............................................................ .........DN
Six green landing gear indicator lights – Illuminated

Ship’s library ............................................................ ...................Checked

GROUND POWER switch (if ground power is available) ................ON
SOURCE OFF lights – Extinguished

Fault/Inop detection ............................................................ ........... Check
OVERHEAT DETECTOR switches – NORMAL TEST switch – Hold to FAULT/INOP
Verify MASTER CAUTION, OVHT/DET annunciator, FAULT and APU DET INOP lights are illuminated.
If the FAULT light fails to illuminate, the fault monitoring system is inoperative.
If APU DET INOP light fails to illuminate, do not operate APU.

Fire/Overheat warning ............................................................ .......Check
Note: Alert ground personnel before this test is accomplished with the APU operating. The fire warning light flashes and the horn sounds on the APU ground control panel.

TEST switch – Hold to OVHT/FIRE
Verify fire warning bell sounds, master FIRE WARN lights, MASTER CAUTION lights and OVHT/DET annunciator illuminate.
Master FIRE WARNING light – Push
Verify master FIRE WARN lights and fire warning bell cancel.
Verify engine No. 1, APU, and engine No. 2 fire warning switch and engine No. 1 and engine No. 2 OVERHEAT lights are illuminated. If AC busses are powered, verify WHEEL WELL fire warning light is illuminated.
If an engine fire warning switch and an ENG OVERHEAT light do not illuminate, a detection loop is inoperative.

EXTINGUISHER TEST switch ....................................................Check
Position TEST Switch to 1, verify the green extinguisher test lights are illuminated. Release switch and verify the lights are extinguished. Repeat for test position 2.

APU ............................................................ .................. Start & on busses

Note: Toconservefuelandreduceemissions,starttheAPUwhen the loadsheet arrives at the airplane.

When the APU GEN OFF BUS light illuminates: APU GENERATOR bus switches – ON SOURCE OFF lights – Extinguished

Note: It is recommended that the APU be operated for one minute before using as a bleed air source.

CAUTION: Do not operate the center tank fuel pumps with the flight deck unattended.

EMERGENCY EXIT lights switch ...........................................ARMED

Otto Throttle
9th Jun 2015, 02:54
Your question assumes that the crew have arrived at an unpowered aircraft and performed the power up. In this case, you would be correct in saying that the steps in the PPP are therefore duplicated.

However, if the crew arrive at an aircraft already powered (a rare event I know), then it is likely most operators will require that the operating crew conduct the test of the fire detection/protection systems at least once per day, hence why this is included in the PPP.

The procedure is written to allow for the case where engineering power the aircraft, but the crew are responsible for the pre-flight.

Driver 170
9th Jun 2015, 08:09
Yeh true only the engineers would leave the acft cold and dark once they are finished with it.

So if the flight crew arrive at the ship and its already been powered by engineers or the last crew - my PPP is mentioning a power source twice (GRD PWR & APU) because its giving you the choice of a power source?

And the crew needs to perform the fire test once per day!

roundsounds
9th Jun 2015, 11:31
The Boeing manuals I've reviewed make the following statement at the beginning of the Preliminary Preflight Procedure "The Preliminary Preflight Procedure assumes the Electrical Power Up supplementary procedure is complete"

Driver 170
9th Jun 2015, 13:08
Thats the same with my Boeing standard FCOM. I think i'll drop those power checks