PDA

View Full Version : Dick Smith awarded AC

Kooka
7th Jun 2015, 23:17
Mr Richard Harold SMITH AO, Terrey Hills, NSW

For eminent service to the community as a benefactor of a range of not-for-profit and conservation organisations, through support for major fundraising initiatives for humanitarian and social welfare programs, to medical research and the visual arts, and to aviation.

TBM-Legend
7th Jun 2015, 23:18
Bravo Dick....:D

capt.cynical
7th Jun 2015, 23:27
Ditto legend

yr right
7th Jun 2015, 23:37
Yes. A truly great Australian.
Congrats and well deserved

aroa
8th Jun 2015, 00:03
Well done and well deserved. :ok:
And he ain't done with aviation yet.:ok:

Run, Dick, run.! See Dick go.! :ok:

PA39
8th Jun 2015, 00:26
A GREAT Australian, an Icon and someone who makes me proud to be an Aussie. Congratulations my friend, well deserved!

Cseries
8th Jun 2015, 00:38
Very well deserved. A truly great Australian!

p.j.m
8th Jun 2015, 00:41
Very well deserved. A truly great Australian!

Really? Am I the only one who thinks he's a ****?

And his latest brainfart is to want to run against Tony Abbott in politics and pass gay marriage laws?

tipsy2
8th Jun 2015, 00:56
p.j.m:confused: and Tidbinbilla :=would seem to agree with each other.

I don't, well done Dick and keep it up.:D

Tipsy

triadic
8th Jun 2015, 01:02
Well done Dick.... Aviation needs more folk like you!:ok::ok:

peterc005
8th Jun 2015, 01:34
Congratulations Dick Smith, well deserved.

Dick Smith
8th Jun 2015, 02:37
Thanks everyone. No I don't plan to get into politics to pass gay marriage laws- however after what has happened in conservative catholic Ireland I would think it is a forgone conclusion.

If I stand against Tony Abbot it will be to communicate that he can't get voted in on a policy of removing red tape and costs and then do the opposite to the industry I love - aviation.

It's so bloody dishonest.

The name is Porter
8th Jun 2015, 02:58
Congratulations Dick. A life well lived :D

Frank Arouet
8th Jun 2015, 03:13
Dick;

Don't tarnish your good reputation by becoming a politician. I say this in all sincerity, you are more valuable to aviation doing what you are doing now in the real world. You get unedited media, not always good as we just witnessed, but feeling, real feeling from the gut of aviation with an ability to communicate with the voter who on most occasions, simply don't trust politicians.
Congratulations.

Another Number
8th Jun 2015, 03:20
Well, as my original thread was locked for Dick's award "not being aviation related" :confused: ... I'll add while I can ...

Some people may be of the opinion that Dick is not GA's Messiah - he's a very naughty boy - but who'd disagree that GA needs a saviour, and he's about as close as we've got at the moment!

(And, non-GA as may be, Dick's done more for this country than most, but, sadly represents the exception rather than the rule today.)

Howabout
8th Jun 2015, 03:30
Congratulations, Dick. We will never see eye to eye on some issues - not all - but your accomplishments go far further than aviation. This is well-deserved and it would be churlish for anyone to say otherwise.

As regards 'gay marriage,' dredge up an article from a few days ago in the SMH by Paul Sheehan. He provides a bit of clarity on the real numbers in that plebiscite. In short; Ireland does not have compulsory voting, a very large number did not submit a ballot and, combined with those who voted 'no,' two-thirds of the total population did not 'support' the affirmative. 'Lies, lies and damned statistics!'

I am ambivalent. If we had a referendum here, I'd live with the outcome whichever way it went. It's just my personal take, but I believe that the vast majority would too.

Still miss that juicy beetroot. The home-made burgers with the alternatives just aren't the same.

Pinky the pilot
8th Jun 2015, 03:31
but who'd disagree that GA needs a saviour, and he's about as close as we've got at the moment!

Agree. And well deserved Dick, even if there have been things you have done with which I may have disagreed.

Dick Smith
8th Jun 2015, 04:09
Frank. No way I would get elected but it would give a platform to communicate how the government is damaging small business.

What else can we do?

LeadSled
8th Jun 2015, 04:24
Dick,
My sincerest congratulations, what more can I say.
Tootle pip!!

Chasco175
8th Jun 2015, 04:45
It wasnt that long ago that a journalist unseated a sitting prime minister. Go for it.

snoop doggy dog
8th Jun 2015, 05:03
:ok: Well done Dick!

It's a big pat on your back for all your good life-long work ;)

Rotor Work
8th Jun 2015, 06:39
Congratulations Dick,
Thanks for your input down in Tasmania, Always Welcome Here:ok:.
Regards R W

From ABC

Dick Smith could be 'forced' to run against Tony Abbott if Government does not overhaul aviation laws - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation) (http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-06-08/dick-smith-could-be-forced-to-run-against-tony-abbott/6529668)

Flyer517
8th Jun 2015, 07:49
Congratulations Dick. It is certainly well deserved and we're all better off for your contributions to our country. Thank you.

Sunfish
8th Jun 2015, 10:14
Congratulations Mr. Smith!

Mish A
8th Jun 2015, 10:22
Well done Dick. Great Australian. I always appreciate that whenever I've heard you make a comment you've usually got something interesting to say, not that I agree all the time. For example, Aviation, (G.A.), Sir Herbert Wilkins, Economic growth via population increases, Australian Produce, Adventure. Keep it up.

cattletruck
8th Jun 2015, 10:57
Read about it in todays Age newspaper, the article talked about leadership rather than being the smartest egg in the basket.

Well done Mr Smith for having the audacity to put the courage of your convictions on the line.

Horatio Leafblower
8th Jun 2015, 12:07
Dick,

What will you do if you win? :eek:

onetrack
8th Jun 2015, 13:11
Congratulations, Dick. An award that is well-deserved. I particularly admire a man who is wealthy, but who doesn't flaunt his wealth with conspicuous consumerism - and who uses his wealth and prominent position to improve the lot of many fellow men (and women, too, no doubt).
Australia needs more people like you, and less of the recently-departed Perth-based corporate sociopath, who left no lingering benefit to anyone. He lived to reward himself at others expense.
I am sure your eventual memorial will read, "he helped many others less fortunate than himself". You are truly a man worthy of the award.

Strewth
8th Jun 2015, 13:47
Dick Smith a great Australian, well deserved.

"If not us, who? And if not now, when?"

Stanwell
8th Jun 2015, 16:43
Others have put it far more eloquently than I could, so I'll just say...
Congratulations, Dick. Well deserved indeed.

Flying Ted
8th Jun 2015, 22:19
A life long contribution across many areas. A good example and role model for any and all Australians.

CharlieLimaX-Ray
9th Jun 2015, 03:12
Dick for PM.

Heliport at Kirribili House and the Lodge.

Dick to run the aviation portfolio, get aviation moving again.

Here's a list to start with Dick, when you get into the cockpit of the big office in Canberra.

1. Sydney curfew get rid of it,

2. Simplify the regs,

3. Promote aviation,

4. Encourage aviation,

5. Keep the major GA airports open.

6 . Fellow Ppruners please add to the list.

7. Don't front up wearing budgie smugglers for any media events!

DICK for PM

Pinky the pilot
9th Jun 2015, 09:38
Re CharlieLimaX-ray`s List; I forget now just what the incentive was way back then but I think that the main reason that all those C402, 404, 421, Piper Chieftain`s etc etc appeared in Aussie skies way back in the late 70`s was due to a rather generous tax write-off/depreciation scheme.

Tail Wheel; Help me out here, as I`m sure that you would know the details. I know that Gaunty knows the details but he does not seem to frequent these boards these days. (And more`s the pity IMHO):sad:

Anyway, restore those incentives to purchase newer Aircraft.:ok: The downside is of course that none of the abovementioned Twins are being built anymore.

What could be done in that regard is beyond me.

Horatio Leafblower
9th Jun 2015, 11:48
the main reason that all those C402, 404, 421, Piper Chieftain`s etc etc appeared in Aussie skies way back in the late 70`s was...
...at least partly, that major manufacturers were building a great many aircraft and operators were able to charge a decent fee to pay them off.
Roads were poor or non-existent compared to today, telecommunications expensive, poor or non-existent, and so on. The oil price was extremely low and there was a lot of protectionism in the Australian economy.

The 1970s was the end of the golden post-war era and recessions in 1974/5 and 1982/3 changed the economic landscape.

In the 1980s, Bankstown operators were able to charge out Chieftains at $1000 per hour... in 1980 dollars.

In 2015 the going rate is $1200 and I have heard some operators brag that they're "only charging for legs with pax".

These enthusiasts and adventurers only drive down market expectations and their eventual forced administration and liquidation only drives up costs and pressures on the operators left behind :ugh:

I hope Dick achieves something worthwhile, and not just for him and his mates but for the GA Industry too.
...but I fear having a billionaire take up the cudgels on our behalf will have as much influence on the Great Unwashed as Clive and Gina crying about how poorly treated the mining companies are.

WE all know that's not reality, but what have we done to change that public perception?

The AMA, National Farmers Federation, Beef exporters, and many other industry associations have managed to build public awareness of what they deliver.

To the general public, GA just means rich people in dangerous small aeroplanes.

jas24zzk
9th Jun 2015, 13:47
To the general public, GA just means rich people in dangerous small aeroplanes.

.kept mis-informed by dimwitted journalists to lazy to get a story factually correct.

Oh I forget...actual and real facts do not sell newspapers.

Congrats on the award Dick. You have earned it. :ok:

As for entering politics. We should form our own monarchy and make you King.

:}:}:}:}:}

Horatio Leafblower
9th Jun 2015, 22:14
Remember the Journos are General Public too. Their ignorance reflects that of the GP... as does their apathy.

dimwitted journalists to lazy to get a story factually correct.

....that's too lazy. Smart enough and sharp enough to get their spelling correct usually, I would bet.

Journos are no more and no less intelligent than the average body of pilots. There are geniuses, there are showponies, there are pains in the arse... just like the average group of pilots or lawyers or doctors.

Forgive me - I am not "anti Dick" or "anti reform" and not especially "pro CASA" but Dick is merely threatening to throw a tantrum. He did the same thing to John Anderson if I remember correctly.

Where is the RAAA in all this?

Frank Arouet
10th Jun 2015, 00:24
From memory Dick was going to back an independent (Windsor), to run against John Anderson. In hindsight him not doing so may have been a blessing for Dick and us all. That may have done more to damage the impetus of aviation reform than lazy journalists. Farmer Truss is not the only one to blame for the state of the industry, Albanese needs to share some of the blame. Truss currently holds the reins so he gets the attention both deserve.

Dick's good name as an asset to aviation reform is too valuable to risk with partisan politics.

EDIT: Regional Airlines don't believe they are part of GA. I would wager they would feel better with GA gone.

Capn Bloggs
10th Jun 2015, 00:31
As for entering politics. We should form our own monarchy and make you King.

Just imagine it. Liz running around demanding that CASA put in E airspace everywhere. :rolleyes:

OZBUSDRIVER
10th Jun 2015, 00:53
From a personal point of view....

Many on here know I do not agree with ...er...anything(to be honest) that Dick has been involved with in aviation over the years.( Not withstanding the work he did getting Victor 1 up and access into the harbour as well as heli routes around the SY basin.)

However, as a man, he is a giant. For all the big deals he has done, he still finds a way of making a gesture count. He shows that with hard work, sound business judgement..and maybe just a very small bit of luck... that even a start from fitting radioes can still result in huge success.

BUT...what makes him such a great person amongst our great businessman...HE answers his own phone when a nobody calls him. Even knowing he cannot help, at least he listens. Thanks Dick, you deserve this gong:ok:

Horatio Leafblower
10th Jun 2015, 01:17
EDIT: Regional Airlines don't believe they are part of GA. I would wager they would feel better with GA gone.

Qlink and Rex maybe.

The rest of them ARE GA - RAAA stands for REGIONAL Aviation Association of Australia.

Hardys, RFDS, Sharp, Airlines of Tas, Skippers, WestWing, GAM, Corporate, Airlink, Aviator Group/SchlongAir, Rossair, AirSouth, Airspeed, Skypac, McDermott, AAA, Basair, Professional Pilot Training, UNSW Aviation, UNiSA.

Stop playing us-and-them politics against the airlines Frank, it was what lost AOPA the industry's support in the Airspace Reform debate and you will lose it again very quickly now. :suspect:

Desert Flower
10th Jun 2015, 02:25
Really? Am I the only one who thinks he's a ****?

No, you're not.

DF.

Atlas Shrugged
10th Jun 2015, 03:42
PPRune needs a "Like" button!

jas24zzk
10th Jun 2015, 12:45
Thanks for the laugh Horatio :ok:

Remember the Journos are General Public too. Their ignorance reflects that of the GP... as does their apathy.

Isn't their professional mantra to report the facts accurately?

Quote:
dimwitted journalists to lazy to get a story factually correct.
....that's too lazy. Smart enough and sharp enough to get their spelling correct usually, I would bet.

Actually. They do not spend as much time as they should. In my reply here, I have taken some time and effort to spell each word correctly. From my reading of various newspaper articles, Journalists do not pay that much attention to basic spelling and grammar.

Journos are no more and no less intelligent than the average body of pilots. There are geniuses, there are showponies, there are pains in the arse... just like the average group of pilots or lawyers or doctors.
Journo's only want a byline.

Forgive me - I am not "anti Dick" or "anti reform" and not especially "pro CASA" but Dick is merely threatening to throw a tantrum. He did the same thing to John Anderson if I remember correctly.

And he should. I said it in another thread, the whole industry needs to throw a tantrum, but it won't. Its ATC, PILOTS/OPERATORS, MAINTAINERS AGAINST EACH OTHER, WHILST CASA THROWS FUEL ON THE FIRE.

Where is the RAAA in all this?
Probable doing the same thing as the Gliding Federation....at least gliders are VH and outside CASA's jurisdiction.

RenegadeMan
10th Jun 2015, 16:13
Congratulations Dick. You really do deserve your award.

In the mid to late 70s I would go into your store in Parramatta, Sydney and buy all sorts of little electronic components and bits & pieces. I made many of the kits you sold (my parents found it very disturbing coming into my dark bedroom only to be blasted by one of your disco strobe lights. Ha!) and I learnt much about how stuff worked from all that you sold. As a young nerdy teen I'd pour over your catalogue and plan & scheme the next 'amazing' thing I'd build!

Then when I was older I just loved following you on your solo helicopter flight around world (still such an amazing thing to have done and I get a kick out of seeing VH-DIK at the Powerhouse Museum!). And part of my interest in you and your flying inspired me to take up an interest in aviation too and get my fixed wing private licence (had a go in an R22 once but decided it wasn't for me).

I met you once in the early 1980s at the Bathurst 1000 car race. I was there in the main building working for a computer company that managed the scoring system on behalf of Channel 7. I remember seeing your jet ranger sitting out in the middle of the field with the cars screaming past it. You stood there next to Bob Hawke and I stood there next to the both of you as we watched the final stages of the race.

And sometime in the 90s I emailed you to ask for advice about a business issue I was having and you emailed me back with a constructive reply; I really appreciated that!

I remember being amazed at how you started Australian Geographic magazine and then the retail shops. In an interview about it you mentioned how you just rolled up to the proprietor of National Geographic in the U.S. and asked him if he could give you some help to start a magazine in Australia! (and I've used this initiative 'just plain old asking for help' too in my life to good effect).

And I've been a Dick Smith Foods customer on some lines for a while too, even though your products are so badly placed by Coles and Woolworths these days (they're almost hidden).

And that's probably what so many of us admire (even though we don't always agree with all your views) the genuineness and down-to-earth nature. It's true-blue and classically Australian in terms of 'don't hold back' and 'tell it like it is'.

I too think it would be unfortunate for you to head into the political arena. You certainly will get many votes but you'll be treated like you're an ignoramus who's out of touch too. The modern pollie is a media tart (they have to be) and a sophisticated spin doctor that spends 99% of their mental energies tweaking their image/message/platform whilst combating and outmanoeuvering the opposition (who're busy playing the same game). It's oh-so-wearing to watch. I think you'd give it a good run but will you get anywhere in that cesspit of malevolence? Very hard to say and it will certainly cost you your current ease and ability to get coverage (you'll probably get more coverage but the 'rules' on when you'll be consulted or referred to will change forever).

You have a lot of good ideas and a lot of common sense. I'll keep interested; whatever path you take as I'm sure you'll continue to add value.

Congratulations again and all the best for you and your family.

Biggles78
11th Jun 2015, 16:19
Dick Smith is to aviation as Steve Irwin is/was to his Wildlife Warrior Foundation. Dick has the same enthusiasm as Steve did when they talk about their respective passions.

I remember reading an article about when Dick was installing car radios and the manager of his second store stole a massive amount of money at the time from him. Instead of going into bankruptcy, Dick pulled finger even harder to pay those that the money was supposed to go to. Dick Smith a Gentleman with integrity and principle. Like him or not you do have to respect his incredible accomplishments especially to aviation.

My sincerest congratulations Mr Smith; a well deserved honour.

Dick Smith
11th Jun 2015, 22:51
Last thing I want to do is go into politics. But what do you do when Mr Abbott and Mr Truss get voted in on a policy of removing red tape and unnecessary costs and then allow CASA and AsA to do the opposite.

I see the General Aviation Industry in Australia being destroyed .

Imagine a fire station at Ballina with 17 staff and a$12 m building and not even a Unicom to reduce the chance of an accident in the first place!

And every cent of this cost comes out of our industry as well as a profit percentage to the Government .

In the USA , Canada and NZ the fire stations are run by the airport with everyone multi skilled- cost is about 50% of our cost. That was the Coalition policy 10 years ago but now forgotten.

Part 61 was not needed to address any known safety problem.

I started the Regulatoty Reform Program with Ron Cooper in 1990 with one instruction- remove every unnecesary cost. The opposite is now happening .

It is a nightmare. Any other suggestions on how I can assist our industry?

Lead Balloon
12th Jun 2015, 03:27
Well, since you asked…

If you want to bring about aviation changes by threatening to run against Mr Abbott in his seat, please stop saying that the last thing you want to do is go into politics. Kinda takes a bit of the edge off the threat, if you know what I mean.

Also, before you name and shame us folks who have taxable incomes above $1million but claim no deductions for charity, could you please advise how one claims tax deductions for:
- doing Angel Flights
- cooking and cleaning at charity kitchens
- donations that we want to remain anonymous?

Also, could you advise how claiming a tax deduction for charitable works contributes to society? By not claiming the deduction, doesn’t that mean I pay more tax and therefore leave more money in the public purse to spend on public services?

By the way: genuine congratulations for the Aust Day award. But just remember what happened to the Manhatto Indians and why.

Dick Smith
12th Jun 2015, 11:55
Leady. But it's the truth. I don't want to go into politics but will if that's the only way I can assist the industry I love - I will!

And thanks everyone for your positive messages. Most appreciated.

poteroo
12th Jun 2015, 12:28
Sincerest congratulations Dick. A well deserved recognition for your numerous activities - particularly those related to aviation.

Dick, please do not enter politics. You'll squander the huge 'street cred' bank that has taken so many years to accumulate. You can do so much more by influencing from outside of the Canberra scrum.

cheers,

gerry111
12th Jun 2015, 12:39
Dick,

Lead Balloon raises an interesting point. Like him, I donate my most valuable resource to charitable pursuits which is my time. I know that you do too. I don't seek any recognition as the pleasure is all mine. I love what I do. It's true that giving is far better than receiving. I choose to lead a simple unmaterialistic lifestyle. So my question to you is this: Do you really claim your very worthy charitable donations against your taxable income?

My congratulations on your award.

The name is Porter
12th Jun 2015, 13:12
Who cares if Dick-meister claims a tax deduction? Are you guys serious? What do you reckon he does with his tax return? Maybe that's going to charity. Australians are as tight as a fishes ar$ehole at 200 metres.

I doubt Dicks reputation will be damaged one iota if he's a reluctant, one issue politician. Have a look at the swill that's representing you now.

jas24zzk
12th Jun 2015, 13:39
It is a nightmare. Any other suggestions on how I can assist our industry?

Become the DAS :ok:

Lead Balloon
12th Jun 2015, 22:27
Who cares if Dick-meister claims a tax deduction?Because 'the Dick-meister' presumes publicly to criticise people with taxable incomes over $1 million who do not claim tax deductions for donations to charity. One quote of many:There are 6000 people in this country with an income of more than $1 million," he complains, "and a third claim no tax deductions for charity. Not even $50 to the Salvos.The 'Dick-meister' implies that because people don't claim these kinds of deductions, they aren't doing anything for charity.

Perhaps some of these people don't need or want the world to know about their charitable works?

Perhaps some of these people find it very difficult to reconcile the true altruism of giving with the economic rationalism of claiming tax deductions?

Perhaps.

Still, I'm hoping Dick gives them merry hell about the destruction of GA, sustainable population etc.

Dick Smith
12th Jun 2015, 23:22
Lead. I hope you are correct .

Unfortunately the well known charities tell me they never get substantial donations anonymously so I think it is unlikely you are correct .

Giving by the wealthy is simply an obligation so why keep secret.

The name is Porter
13th Jun 2015, 00:38
The 'Dick-meister' implies that because people don't claim these kinds of deductions, they aren't doing anything for charity.

I'll back Dick on this. Australians with a taxable income of over 1 million dollars are the stingiest, tightest group of all the developed economies. Conversely, Australians are the best donaters of their time to charitable causes out of the developed economies. How about '1 million taxable incomers' leave donating their time to Australians that haven't got a spare dollar to donate.

Australians that need help don't need some wealthy tightarse, slapping themself on the back, congratulating themself at how generous they are with their 'such valuable time' cooking them a snag at a soup kitchen, that can be left to someone who's time rich and money poor.

As to this:

Perhaps some of these people don't need or want the world to know about their charitable works?

How many of this type do you reckon exist in Australia?

Pinky the pilot
13th Jun 2015, 02:30
How many of this type do you reckon exist in Australia?

The late Kerry Packer was one.

Capn Bloggs
13th Jun 2015, 05:02
Giving by the wealthy is simply an obligation so why keep secret.
http://www.smilies.our-local.co.uk/index_files/scratchhd.gif
Bloggs scratches head....

The name is Porter
13th Jun 2015, 08:22
Pinky, so there's one bloke?

Tankengine
13th Jun 2015, 08:26
The late Kerry also paid as little tax as possible, I remember him in front of a Senate inquiry? on the TV.
He did do a lot for many charities though, including paying for transplant organs to be flown where needed and the famous Packer-Whacker for Ambulances.:ok:
I doubt if James is the same.

Lead Balloon
13th Jun 2015, 08:30
How many of this type do you reckon exist in Australia?I've no idea, but nor do you and Dick.

What I do know is that it's probably counter-productive to Dick's cause to cast aspersions on their character.

Tidbinbilla
13th Jun 2015, 08:54
Indeed.

This thread has run its course.